Bayern Munich Do The Right Thing

Leicester Saint

As I always repeat when German prices are compared to our own...

The reason their prices are so low is simply because they are allowed sell alcohol in the stadium. The majority of their match day income comes from the sale of alcohol, not from the ticket prices.

Start selling pints with your pies here and ticket prices will drop dramatically. Won't happen though!

The reason their prices are so low is simply because they are allowed sell alcohol in the stadium. The majority of their match day income comes from the sale of alcohol, not from the ticket prices.

Start selling pints with your pies here and ticket prices will drop dramatically. Won't happen though!

I'm no swallying that wan TC...

Well, tell us the rest of the story. How much is a pie in the Allianz Stadium? And more importantly how much is a hauf 'n a pint? Or a litre. And do you get a proper glass?

They sell alcohol in england at the fitba.... so that knocks that theory on the heid.

Which can't be drunk while watching the game, therefore cutting back on the sales of alcohol considerably.

I'm sure you're absolutely right there. Drinking pints out of a plastic container standing in a soulless corridor or featureless room isn't my idea of fun. In germany can you sit with a beer and watch the game? Not that I'm sure the answer will make any difference in Scotland. Too many fans in Scotland would spoil it for those who can behave.

It's important to remember that the ticket prices in Germany are cheap...in the standing section.

I try and go and see Fortuna Dusseldorf (in the 2nd division) at least once a season. You'd struggle to get a seat for under £20 that wasn't a poorer view behind the goals.

If you decided to follow Borussia Dortmund for example, you'd almost never get a standing ticket for face value. On ticket resale websites, these often go for over £100 a ticket.

However, there are lots of different reasons for the higher crowds in Germany. The huge crowds help keep the prices down too. Even when Fortuna were in the Bundesliga a couple of seasons ago, a large percentage of their games in their 54,000 capacity stadium were sold out. Matchday revenue must be through the roof.

I do agree we're getting ripped off in Scotland though.

Which can't be drunk while watching the game, therefore cutting back on the sales of alcohol considerably.

Revenue is not made up on beer sales to enable discounted ticketing.

Yes all revenue streams help each club, but in Germany like many continental countries the stadia are not owned by the club, they are wholly or part owned by the Stadt (Or Cooncil to you and me).

The clubs do not bear the brunt of all the stadia costs, and with Stadt involvement ticket prices for certain sections are always kept in what is deemed an affordable price bracket. (The Stadt have an influence over how and at what level the stadia a generates revenue from ticketing as the local rate/tax payers are part funding the stadia)

Basically its a win-win-win situation for fan, club and Stadt.

Re: Rick's post below: believe me there are just as many arseholes at German football matches abusing the booze. the authorities there though make it a priority to not let the arseholes spoil everyone else's fun. as opposed to here where draconian measures are deployed as it is believed for some reason that the whole crowd at every Scottish football game will riot the moment beer is available inside the stadia.

Not a great role model.

Hoeness is currently in jail for tax evasion.

That may be true but it doesn't stop him being right over this issue.

You are confusing people engaging in bad acts with people being bad in themselves.

Condemning the act rather than the person produces a civilised and more enjoyable society.

The reason their prices are so low is simply because they are allowed sell alcohol in the stadium.

lol.gif

Another Lex classic.

Right up there with your horse betting nonsense and your toe curling BAWA signature.

Edited by oaksoft

Yes all revenue streams help each club, but in Germany like many continental countries the stadia are not owned by the club, they are wholly or part owned by the Stadt (Or Cooncil to you and me).

The clubs do not bear the brunt of all the stadia costs, and with Stadt involvement ticket prices for certain sections are always kept in what is deemed an affordable price bracket. (The Stadt have an influence over how and at what level the stadia a generates revenue from ticketing as the local rate/tax payers are part funding the stadia)

Re: Rick's post below: believe me there are just as many arseholes at German football matches abusing the booze. the authorities there though make it a priority to not let the arseholes spoil everyone else's fun. as opposed to here where draconian measures are deployed as it is believed for some reason that the whole crowd at every Scottish football game will riot the moment beer is available inside the stadia.

You say that revenue is not made up by beer prices, then go onto explain the benefits?

If Scottish clubs could sell alcohol at the football, do you think that match day revenue wouldn't change? Of course it would, it would go up considerably. Thus they could knock a fiver or whatever from the tickets without losing any money. Pretty simple really.

It's important to remember that the ticket prices in Germany are cheap...in the standing section.

I try and go and see Fortuna Dusseldorf (in the 2nd division) at least once a season. You'd struggle to get a seat for under £20 that wasn't a poorer view behind the goals.

If you decided to follow Borussia Dortmund for example, you'd almost never get a standing ticket for face value. On ticket resale websites, these often go for over £100 a ticket.

However, there are lots of different reasons for the higher crowds in Germany. The huge crowds help keep the prices down too. Even when Fortuna were in the Bundesliga a couple of seasons ago, a large percentage of their games in their 54,000 capacity stadium were sold out. Matchday revenue must be through the roof.

I do agree we're getting ripped off in Scotland though.

This is true. If you took away the terrace from behind the goal, the average Dortmund ticket at face value would be near €35-40? Still good value compared to England.

It's also easy to provide cheaper tickets when your TV deal is €450m a season, whereas in Scotland we are what £80m over 5 seasons? Even most small leagues like Denmark etc get a lot more TV money (at a cost of games at weird times), which helps your income out massively. The unfortunate thing is being next door to England and with the same language we compete with them on players. Even the Championship is now crazy money wise.

Even if you could drink in the stands it wouldn't change the ticket prices that much-Glasgow Rugby's tickets are £30/£20 on the day and they have the drink at the seats. Our tickets are £20 a game, cheaper for weaker cup teams. I wouldn't say that was a rip-off really,

You say that revenue is not made up by beer prices, then go onto explain the benefits?

If Scottish clubs could sell alcohol at the football, do you think that match day revenue wouldn't change? Of course it would, it would go up considerably. Thus they could knock a fiver or whatever from the tickets without losing any money. Pretty simple really.

And you reckon policing costs would stay the same or only marginally increase?

I clearly said that all revenue helps, but the major factor in German clubs being able to offer affordable tickets for SOME sections of their ground is down to the club not being solely responsible for the costs of The stadia.

To make a profit on beer sales that would enable you to reduce ticket prices, given you have staff costs, stock costs, licensing costs and not many people proportionally out of the crowd buy it,

and you only sell it for approx one hour twenty times a year!

You'd have to sell a feckin shed load of beer to make a difference.

I clearly said that all revenue helps, but the major factor in German clubs being able to offer affordable tickets for SOME sections of their ground is down to the club not being solely responsible for the costs of The stadia.

To make a profit on beer sales that would enable you to reduce ticket prices, given you have staff costs, stock costs, licensing costs and not many people proportionally out of the crowd buy it,

and you only sell it for approx one hour twenty times a year!

You'd have to sell a feckin shed load of beer to make a difference.

Well the club already has a license and a bar in the main stand that generates revenue for the club.

If we had bars in every stand in the ground and no restrictions on alcohol purchases I think the average profit per punter would increase by 20% or so, thus enabling lower prices.

All hypothetical though, as I said it will never happen.

Bayern Munich own 100% of the Allianz Arena

Bayern Munich own 100% of the Allianz Arena

Not wishing to be pedantic, but it was built for the 2006 world cup. so I'd be interested to see your info on ownership, who funded the build, and ongoing running/maintenance costs.

Edit: I note 1860 also play their home games there, so presumably that helps mitigate costs as well?

Edited by Lord Pityme

Well the club already has a license and a bar in the main stand that generates revenue for the club.

If we had bars in every stand in the ground and no restrictions on alcohol purchases I think the average profit per punter would increase by 20% or so, thus enabling lower prices.

All hypothetical though, as I said it will never happen.

20% increase per punter???

what the 1000 odd kids (under 16's) who attend are going on the beer???

And everyone is going to buy beer at the ground???

Plus try asking your local pub landlord if he achieves 20% profit after tax and costs on each pint and he'll laugh his socks off!

why do you think so many pubs have closed?

20% increase per punter???

what the 1000 odd kids (under 16's) who attend are going on the beer???

And everyone is going to buy beer at the ground???

Plus try asking your local pub landlord if he achieves 20% profit after tax and costs on each pint and he'll laugh his socks off!

why do you think so many pubs have closed?

I said 20 percent increase in profit per punter, not all revenue generated is profit I am sure you will understand.

Alcohol is a high margin product, and the prices could be marked up to generate more profit.

I said 20 percent increase in profit per punter, not all revenue generated is profit I am sure you will understand.

Alcohol is a high margin product, and the prices could be marked up to generate more profit.

Glad you could clear up how wrong you got it thumbup2.gif

Just try asking more than 1p a pint on top of what the cheapest pub in Paisley charges for the privilege of drinking average draught beer out of a plastic cup, and see how well your takings go!