There is a fundamental (aherm) absurdity in the Israeli position.

They are the occupying force in Gaza, and as such have a duty to protect the citizens of that region, yet they have declared war upon them. This is contrary to reason, let alone international law.

They claim that they have a right to defend themselves. Indeed they do, but not from a 'state' that they occupy.

In terms of rocket strikes from Gaza, these have typically increased in response to Israeli acts of aggression.

Israel have provided no proof that Hamas (for all they are also a shower of shite in many respects) deliberately store their weapons in civilian areas and buildings such as schools and hospitals. Such claims have been debunked, and, in any event, even if true, DO NOT excuse the deliberate targetting of areas with high concentrations of innocent women and children.

The only way to stop the bloodshed is for Israel to abide with International Law by ending the illegal blockade of Gaza and pulling out of the West Bank.

Don't know enough about what is being blocked as food and medicine was getting through along with military weapons in mass by the look of things. Maybe the UN could do more.

Its terrible to see innocent people caught up in this.

However lets not forget missiles were fired first from Gaza. Kidnappings were also carried out through the tunnels again first from Gaza.

What do the militants think is going to happen when they carry out such operations first. Israel will sit back and let it happen _ Of course not.

This will lead to a full occupation for a wee while to rid Gaza of its weapons that's my guess.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Don't know enough about what is being blocked as food and medicine was getting through along with military weapons in mass by the look of things. Maybe the UN could do more.

Its terrible to see innocent people caught up in this.

However lets not forget missiles were fired first from Gaza. Kidnappings were also carried out through the tunnels again first from Gaza.

What do the militants think is going to happen when they carry out such operations first. Israel will sit back and let it happen _ Of course not.

This will lead to a full occupation for a wee while to rid Gaza of its weapons that's my guess.

According to whom?

I would have thought the daft cnuts firing missiles were the problem?

If, by "daft cuts", you mean the Israeli army then I'd agree with you, but not if you are referring to the Palestinians. I believe they are just trying to secure some of the freedoms we take for granted.

Naw. The oppressive, occupying army is the problem.

Unless you consider that Palestinians wanting the Freedom that Scotland could just vote for (if it had a mind to) was a problem...?

Ask yourself, why are the firing rockets in the first place?

BOTH sides are equally to blame.

BOTH sides refuse to recognise the others right to exist.

When two people are in the street firing guns at each other and innocent passers-by are being shot you have to be pretty stupid to stand around hand wringing worrying about who started it. You arrest and punish them both.

Taking sides in the Gaza situation is moronic.

If, by "daft cuts", you mean the Israeli army then I'd agree with you, but not if you are referring to the Palestinians. I believe they are just trying to secure some of the freedoms we take for granted.

Unless you consider that Palestinians wanting the Freedom that Scotland could just vote for (if it had a mind to) was a problem...?

So, by firing missiles this will help, exactly how?

As I said above, this thread will become the soap box for a few who have firm views.

Nothing wrong with that, just seems innocents get ignored.

Dragons Den time for me, I'm out. bye1.gif

When two people are in the street firing guns at each other and innocent passers-by are being shot you have to be pretty stupid to stand around hand wringing worrying about who started it. You arrest and punish them both.

What do you mean by 'sides'?

Spoken like a true middle class partially educated handwringing tree hugger.

Kidnappings were also carried out through the tunnels again first from Gaza.What do the militants think is going to happen when they carry out such operations first.

For every Israeli kidnapped, the Israelis have already detained/imprisoned a hundred.

Every time there is a "prisoner" swap, hundreds of Palestians are handed over for few Israelis. In that way, Israel underlines how much more important each of their citizens is, compared to the trash in Gaza...

There is so much focus on Hamas in the media and statements from Israeli supporting states like the EU, UK and the USA. Why? Because Israel actually needs Hamas!! These rockets are ineffectual. They carry no warheads and because of this Israel tolerates them supporting their claim that THEY are the victims thus providing a smokescreen for their repression of the Palestinians in the West Bank.

There are no rockets being fired from the West Bank and yet 9 Palestinians were shot and killed by the IDF simply for demonstrating against Israel's actions in Gaza.

Sir, I'm surprised to see you enter this debate again when the last time your commented you made a complete arse of yourself.

Anyway, your comments above are are in the same vein.

For every Israeli kidnapped, the Israelis have already detained/imprisoned a hundred.

Every time there is a "prisoner" swap, hundreds of Palestians are handed over for few Israelis. In that way, Israel underlines how much more important each of their citizens is, compared to the trash in Gaza...

Oaksoft summed it up quite well with this.....

Oaksoft summed it up quite well with this.....BOTH sides are equally to blame.BOTH sides refuse to recognise the others right to exist.When two people are in the street firing guns at each other and innocent passers-by are being shot you have to be pretty stupid to stand around hand wringing worrying about who started it. You arrest and punish them both.

I'm amazed, IoBS!

You want freedom for Scotland living cheek by jowl beside a big non-aggressive neighbour, but you'd deny that same freedom to a wee foreign land.

These are not equal "sides". One is rich, powerful and imperialist, supported by the US and the other is impoverished, weak and under occupation.

If the two people in the street were armed with the same guns, that trite analogy may have been more useful.

Oaksoft summed it up quite well with this.....

If both sides are equally to blame then why don't each side agree to each other's demands? Hamas stops firing rockets and Israel stops it's blockade.

Agreed? This is what Hamas has already said. It won't happen because Israel needs a bogey man to hide its actions in the West Bank.

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

According to whom?

Drew I was right about something - I don't know enough.

Found this

Eyal Yifrah, Gilad Shaar, and Naftali Frenkel disappeared while in the West Bank, where they were studying at a yeshiva. Israel conducted a massive manhunt in the Palestinian territory, alleging they were abducted by members of Hamas. (Israeli officials appear to have disagreed from the start as to whether the killers were acting on behalf of Hamas or were a lone cell acting on their own.) The boys were found dead on June 30th, apparently executed. Subsequent reporting suggests that Israel already knew they were dead when the search began, and used the manhunt as a cover for arresting a large number of Hamas operatives as a response to the killings.

Israel responded to the deaths with a limited bombing campaign in Gaza against Hamas targets there, beginning the night of the boys were found. Palestinian militant groups (though, notably, not Hamas) in Gaza fired rockets into Israel.

I'm amazed, IoBS!

You want freedom for Scotland living cheek by jowl beside a big non-aggressive neighbour, but you'd deny that same freedom to a wee foreign land.

These are not equal "sides". One is rich, powerful and imperialist, supported by the US and the other is impoverished, weak and under occupation.

If the two people in the street were armed with the same guns, that trite analogy may have been more useful.

There is a huge difference and you are just being silly here Bluto

We are getting a vote to put to the people in a proper democratic way. Vote YES we get independence. Vote NO we stay within the United Kingdom. How you can compare like for like is strange coming from an Oxford educated man ! !

There is a huge difference and you are just being silly here BlutoWe are getting a vote to put to the people in a proper democratic way. Vote YES we get independence. Vote NO we stay within the United Kingdom. How you can compare like for like is strange coming from an Oxford educated man ! !

Like Wallace and Bruce who paved the way for you to be relaxed about that vote, the people of Gaza are engaged in a struggle against an oppressor which denies them things you take for granted.

Like Wallace and Bruce, Hamas fight with what meagre means they possess, while the rest of the world looks on and does nothing.

Plus ça change... :(

"...for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under english Israeli rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."