What's Funny About Supporting St Mirren ?

shull

Over many years driving a Cab, whenever a blue or green vermin fud asks which Team I support, I always reply St Mirren.

In most cases , they give a short laugh and then patronise me for a minute.

Not a problem because they are arseholes.

Yesterday, I picked up a Polish dude and he did the same. He laughed when i mentioned St Mirren.

I couldnae f*cking believe it.

When he mentioned he supported Lech Poznan, I didnae laugh, I just wanted a proper football conversation which eventually he we got.

He later said one of his friends supported St Mirren and came from Kilbirnie.

I just cannae get my head round the unwanted tittering regarding which football team I follow.

F*CKEM !

I have friends down here who support , Leeds Utd, Sheffield Utd , Bradford City , Liverpool , Sheffield Wednesday , Barnsley , York City , Manchester Utd , to name a few and I have ( like with almost everyone I have met down here ) informed them our our existence :)

Most of them whenever I see them can ratlle off the Saints scores before I even speak :)

I`m fairly sure everyone of my freinds/family/colleagues/clients all know about St Mirren.

I can speak limited Polish due to having some Polish friends who live in Ilkley who know about Saints, who ,like the guy you met supports Lech Poznan , he disnae laugh about us :P

Continue to spread the word Shull ! charge them 10 Bob more if they laugh , 10 Bob less if they don`t :)

the glasgow teams fuds think it's stupid to support a team who dont have much success,they are the type who dont go if their team is on a losing streak - which to them is 2 games, they both also think that saints fans are really tics/orks depending on which side they follow, they think we are on the side of their rivals, it is the glasgow disease

Edited by buddiecat

Similar to whydowebother my friends here support a wide range of clubs and have genuinely become interested in the St Mirren scores. I love the fact that I can have a proper passionate conversation about our respective teams. I have yet to meet one ugly sister supporter who can manage that without eventually foaming at the mouth. Continual success does not a supporter make. This tricky period we are going through is nothing new for a club of our standing but it does let us really appreciate and savour the good times when they come along. Time has mellowed my penchant for being overly critical of our team. In my younger days I would be almost purple shouting abuse at the likes of Stark, Beckett and Abercrombie. I guess I've learned to take the rough with the smooth. So called supporters of more successful clubs never experience the chance to stick with their team whatever the situation

I have friends down here who support , Leeds Utd, Sheffield Utd , Bradford City , Liverpool , Sheffield Wednesday , Barnsley , York City , Manchester Utd , to name a few and I have ( like with almost everyone I have met down here ) informed them our our existence smile.png

Most of them whenever I see them can ratlle off the Saints scores before I even speak smile.png

I`m fairly sure everyone of my freinds/family/colleagues/clients all know about St Mirren.

I can speak limited Polish due to having some Polish friends who live in Ilkley who know about Saints, who ,like the guy you met supports Lech Poznan , he disnae laugh about us tongue.png

Continue to spread the word Shull ! charge them 10 Bob more if they laugh , 10 Bob less if they don`t smile.png

They do get " fined " whistling.gif

I lived in the London area for many years and always advocated St Mirren. Classic conversation from that time was

Him: 'So you're Scottish, yeah, who do you support, Rangers or Celtic?'

Me 'Neither'

Him (disappointed) 'Oh, so you don't like football then?'

Me: Twat

I've had that conversation with many Weegie bigots.

And yes, they are twats.

Over the years, I've had many supporters of other Clubs in my Cab and it's been an absolute delight.

There has been fans of Morton, Alloa, Stirling Albion, Motherwell, Dundee United, Killie , Pollok lol.gif , Aberdeen, Falkirk and lots more.

Not once did I belittle or patronise any of them.

Just a great pleasure to talk football with human beings who dinnae give a f*ck which school I went to.

In Orkney, you are green, blue or a Mutton Molester. The supporters of the rest are a minority but at work all the guys seem to look for Saints result, ready to give me flack if (when) we lose or avoid me when we win!

When I came back from the Cup win v Hearts in 2013 I was treated like a god!

Couldn't imagine supporting any other team....................

The question for me that puts prices up is..........Aye,but who do you really support?

I have a cup holder in my car where I put any 5p I get,there must be a fivers worth in it.Anybody who annoys me gets quite a few in their change with the words "sorry my change has been hammered today".

Petty I know but it makes me laugh.

The question for me that puts prices up is..........Aye,but who do you really support?

I have a cup holder in my car where I put any 5p I get,there must be a fivers worth in it.Anybody who annoys me gets quite a few in their change with the words "sorry my change has been hammered today".

Petty I know but it makes me laugh.

When some bigot is talking too much , Classic FM gets switched on and I slowly crank the volume up with my steering wheel controls till the cnut is drowned out.

Typical conversation on a new site....

where u fae mate.... (me) Paisley.

what team do you support then big yin,,,,, (me) St mirren.

aw cool I think everybody should support there hame team, shame there's no mare like you,,,,

(me) Aye I know mate, where u fae yerself.... Motherwell bigman

(me) so do u get along to fir park much..... f**k that bigman there all just **** without the bus fare they cunts..wacko.png

Edited by scrappy coco

Used to get slagged in school for being a Saints fan. The majority of my year were Rangers fans who never even went to the games. They always looked at me in shock when I said I was up in Dundee for the game.

We had the last laugh over Rangers fans anyway :D. All the pumpings we have took off Celtic over the years was worth it for the 4-0 and Hampden game.

Used to get slagged in school for being a Saints fan. The majority of my year were Rangers fans who never even went to the games. They always looked at me in shock when I said I was up in Dundee for the game.

We had the last laugh over Rangers fans anyway biggrin.png. All the pumpings we have took off Celtic over the years was worth it for the 4-0 and Hampden game.

Indeed clap.gif

In England (Once they have computed that Glasgow is near Paisley)

"What's your favourite football team?"

"St Mirren"

"Yeah but the Glasgow ones I mean!"

"Partick Thistle!"

Closes a conversation every time!

Travelling to engerland has f**ked up your geography skills, Budddie.

For me, Glasgow is 9 miles outside Paisley...

This question is quite good at establishing who you're dealing with when talking about football. If someone gives it the big laugh and some obvious piss poor standard jokes (your name should be St Mirren nil, you lay down to Sellic in 86 etc), you know you are dealing with a total fanny. If the other party shows genuine interest and can talk sensibly about football, then they tend to be good guys.

I must have an element of inverse snobbery, because if someone tells me that they support Sellic, Sevco, Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, I find my initial reaction is to switch off a bit due to the perception of them being a glory hunter. It doesn't apply in all cases, but I tend to find that a lot of these types haven't been near a football ground in years, if ever at all.

I've been in the North East for almost all my working life and the people I have worked with over the years always look out for our results, I got a host of conglatulatory emails after the League Cup win and they've never assumed i'd be a fan of one of the bigot brothers.......an enlightened lot!

I've been in the North East for almost all my working life and the people I have worked with over the years always look out for our results, I got a host of conglatulatory emails after the League Cup win and they've never assumed i'd be a fan of one of the bigot brothers.......an enlightened lot!

Your right , Working offshore you meet a lot of people from the northeast and they think it's great you don't support the old firm

At this particular moment, absolutely nothing is funny about supporting the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad, nothing at all.

Over the years I have been asked all the same questions as the rest of you

Q) But who is your big team

Q) But who is your real team?

Q) But who do you prefer, Rangers or Celtic?

Q) Why?

Q) Who?

Like the wyd character on this thread everyone who knows me, all three of them know exactly where my loyalties lie. Even the nurse that had the unfortunate job of wiping my shitty arse a few years back knew which team I supported. Over the years I can also take credit for introducing many a young fan to the arena that was Love Street. In life some people are just daft, why else would we have a Labour party?