Why Are We Struggling At Home?

This year has started like the last few and it got me thinking as to just how bad have we been since we moved into New St Mirren Park on the 15th of January 2009?

Stats in this respect don't really lie. They only go to state the bl**dy obvious that we are a pretty soft touch when it comes to playing at home.

Since our first game in January 2009 through to the end of last season we have played 103 league games at home.

The record:

Won: 28

Drawn: 38

Lost: 37

So out of a total of 309 points available we have 122 points, or 39% of what was theoretically possible!

Over the various cups we have faired slightly better but that is tempered by sides from different divisions.

Played 17, Won: 9 Drawn: 5 Lost: 3, so a slightly better average.

So I suppose my question is, why have we not settled into the new home and made it more of a fortress?

TopCat Posted Today, 17:35

Were our stats at Love St in the 3 and half seasons we had there in the SPL better, worse or roughly the same?

A quick scan of the period from August 2006 through to January 2009 actually suggests a fractionally worse record at Love St than at the new SMP of a 36% return on home points, so your point is well made, but you could say we were a new team into the SPL and so struggled initially and just scraped above Dunfermline in our 1st year in the SPL. (We only recorded 3 wins at home that year).

I just get the feeling that we perhaps haven't made the most of our new home, without trawling through every team's home record, it is more a feeling than a hard fact, but it seems that most if not all teams come to Paisley automatically thinking they can take away 3 points.

Edited by The Original 59er

Because most of our players aren't very good and the manager is even worse.

The venue has nothing to do with it!

The biggest factor this season is injuries far too many key players out. Now McGinn is joining the list watching from the stand. But don't let injuries get in the way of sticking the boot into the manager. Maybe we should change the manager every month though I doubt that would keep our moaning fans happy.

Incorrect.

I never called for MacPherson or Lennon's head, although I wasn't exactly upset when Gus went.

We are losing at home because our manager keeps signing sub standard players and can't get the best out of the ones we have.

We, along with everyone else, have been severely hampered by Bosman. Players sign one year deals and rightly, try to get the best deal they can. So, if they are a success, they move on to bigger and better things. Every club is suffering because of this. C'est la vie. We have been unlucky in many respects, as we have not been able to unearth any hidden gems since Sutton. A succession of journeymen have come and gone, and it is a bit of a lottery, as Motherwell, Ross County etc are finding. That's modern football. The only way forward is through a proper youth policy, which we are doing. McGinn, Kelly, McLean etc, who, hopefully will either stay or move on for a fee.

We, along with everyone else, have been severely hampered by Bosman. Players sign one year deals and rightly, try to get the best deal they can. So, if they are a success, they move on to bigger and better things. Every club is suffering because of this. C'est la vie. We have been unlucky in many respects, as we have not been able to unearth any hidden gems since Sutton. A succession of journeymen have come and gone, and it is a bit of a lottery, as Motherwell, Ross County etc are finding. That's modern football. The only way forward is through a proper youth policy, which we are doing. McGinn, Kelly, McLean etc, who, hopefully will either stay or move on for a fee.

Even Hamilton?

I agree that the youth route is our best (and maybe our only) hope and acquiring the odd seasoned pro here and there to help / bolster the young side as they develop.

That doesn't get away from the principle of the post however, it seems to me that the ground suits many if not all of the opposition sides that come here. The park isn't intimidating or maybe the support is so lacklustre that they really don't see our crowd as a twelfth man.

I don't really subscribe to the 'crap manager' mantra, I personally don't really rate ICT's current manager that much, but ICT do make it difficult for visiting teams.................. maybe it's the long haul up the A9 that knackers the teams before they get there!

Obviously home advantage is not something that sits easily with Saints. The stadium is neat, modern and the pitch a pleasure to play on. Maybe the visitors like it so much that they perform really well because the conditions to play are perfect for them. I just can't quite see what a home game gives us.................. it certainly isn't a sure fire home win. In fact if I was a betting man, and did place a bet on 6 home wins, Saints would never be in the mix! thumbdown.gif

This next statement so much goes against the grain, but it's worth asking...............

..... would it really hurt us as a team in terms of football enjoyment on a Saturday and financially, to drop down a league, retrench and let the current crop of youngsters who seem to be developing in the Under20's come through over the next couple of seasons?

This next statement so much goes against the grain, but it's worth asking...............

..... would it really hurt us as a teamin terms of football enjoyment on a Saturday and financially, to drop down a league, retrench and let the current crop of youngsters who seem to be developing in the Under20's come through over the next couple of seasons?

Probably.

Reason? Established players AND youngsters are more likely to sign for a premier team , than for one languishing in the nether regions for a couple of seasons.

The supply of promising youngsters would dry up and players capable of getting Saints back up the league would sign for more ambitious teams.

Never have I asked for a manager to be removed since John Coughlin but this one is not for staying IMO.

I have been buying a season ticket for me and my boy for years and we have never been so uninterested in going along to games since Coughlin's era. We have been to 3 home games this season (Hamilton, Dundee & Celtic). Our performance have been awful.

Last 2 home games we watched the results come in on Soccer Saturday as my boy was not interested in going along to watch the dross on show.

If nothing changes soon I won't be going along to many games and certainly won't be renewing our tickets next season.

Value for money no chance

I'm at home and i'm not struggling!

Maybe someone can put the OP in touch with someone in Welfare Services that can advise what type of alterations can be funded to make being at home less of a struggle.

That said maybe they can put Welfare Services in touch with TC, i'm almost sure they can advise on security/defence systems and how to deal with bogus callers.

DougJamie Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:23

Main reason is since we moved there we have been and still are one of the weakest teams in the League,, we haven't won more than 6 games at home since the eighties in top league. Yes Gilmour saved us but then put us on life support ever since

Not quite following you, since the late 80's, in fact since 1990, in the top division (now the Premier League) we have won 54 home games over 12 seasons - not great I grant you, but slightly more than you suggest. An average of roughly 5 a season if you ignore this season as we are only 7 home games into the season.

Interestingly over the same period, we have won 114 home games in the old 2nd division (now championship) over 13 seasons at an average of roughly 9 home wins each year. So in some respects we probably encourage more hope and excitement at home when we are in the 2nd tier of the leagues! - Again not the very best way of delivering statistics as the results may not necessarily make you smile! shutup.gif

This year however is grim reading with 0% wins, 14% draws and 86% losses. We are pretty crap at home, there is no doubt about that and looking at these figures, I have to say that I fear the worst and maybe have to face up to a period of 2nd tier football again for a few seasons! sad.png

Home form is poor, so is away form mind you, just got a couple of lucky results on the road. The team is equally as dire at home and away this season from what I can see and due to a lot of other honking teams in the league we will by the law of averages scrape a few results on our way to sealing 12th spot. We have to get Tommy out asap but knowing our board that ain't going happen. Probably a safe bet we won't renew his contract once he's managed back to back relegations though, every cloud n that!