Critical Next Four Games

Vital time now looming, time to shape some change into this horrendous season, or sink.................

Home to MOTHERWELL

Away to DUNDEE

Home to KILLIE

Away to ICT

If we don't dig out at the very least two wins from these games,we are effectively down and out by 4th January.

The scope of the task here and now is simple, we must make significant inroads into those teams in 8th and 9th, the time is here to win some games , OR, irrespective of who gets the manager's gig, we'll be making long term plans for several years outwith the SPFL once more

It seems a shame that after surviving that madness @ Fir Park courtesy of Mehmet and Sutton , we've never actually become a consolidated Top league team.

Anyway, once more unto the breach , the fans will dig deep , hope to phuck the players do.

I agree that anything less than 6 points from these games leaves us with a massive gulf to traverse.

It isn't just about points on the board, though. All other things being equal, we wouldn't have great cause to panic too much if we fail to pick up these points, but all other things most certainly aren't equal. We can't score goals, we can't defend, several of our players simply aren't good enough, and we don't have a manager.

It will take a combination of good planning, good fortune, and exceptionally hard work to dig us out of the hole we are already in. With Craig in charge, I had stepped off the bus, but I'm now back on it and will try to do what I can to back the cause. It most certainly isn't a lost cause, but many more defeats will make it ever harder to claw our way back.

This could be a watershed season for the club in more ways than one. Bagging Craig was critically important, but wasn't a panacea. Time for those remaining at the club to step up to the plate. I'm far from optimistic that we can survive this season. I have a feeling that we might just have run out of lives this time round. Even so, so long as we don't go down without a fight, I'll remain proud to support my club.

Edited by Drew

I don't think any games are 'critical' until we get to the split. As long as we are within 6 points of staying up with 5 games remaining, we have a chance.

To suggest we will be relegated before half the season is out is pretty out there stuff.

I would disagree.

Our points to games ratio at the moment is awful, if this doesn't improve then we could be cut adrift before the split.

I'm not saying that we will be relegated half way through the season but there's a lot of important games to be played coming up to keep us in with a shout.

Considering its not even half way through the season we cannot say we are at a must-win stage. However the bottom 3 are in danger of being cut adrift with a gap of 8 points between 'Well and PT. Defeat on Sat and its a 6 point gap between us and Well.

Last season I thought we had a decent squad that was not showing their potential but there was a hope they would find some form which was the case and we stayed up ok.

This year we hardly have enough decent players to make up a first 11 with absolutely he-haw on the bench. And most of our decent players are underperforming substantially from last season. In current circumstances I reckon Sat is a must win game and even that is just basic fire fighting. Without some form returning and about 5 decent pros coming in in Jan (a big ask) then we could easily be cut adrift with little hope of turning it around. We must gain some ground over the next four games. Four defeats and I reckon we could be doomed before the end of January.

I don't think any games are 'critical' until we get to the split. As long as we are within 6 points of staying up with 5 games remaining, we have a chance.

To suggest we will be relegated before half the season is out is pretty out there stuff.

All drama queenery aside, if we don't make a resounding impact over these next four games, we are as good as done in my opinion. That's why I suggest they are , vital, critical, tres important, whatever. Our spectacularly bad form and results have to improve , and now tbh. To think we can prolong our dire results and survive is the out there stuff. All teams need a spark and a surge in form, we need to kick start something now around these four fixtures, we must be thinking that there are points and goals (?) up for grabs. If not , then we are in the wrong league

I've had a failrly hollow feeling about us since pre season, based largely on the non regime change (TC appointment) , a call based largely on cost savings and a lot of hope. Since then we have drifted without resistance into the present mire.

I cannot help but cringe at the irony that in a league as weak as this season we are more in the shit now than any previous seasons.We need to start helping ourselves now, across these year end fixtures.

I would disagree.

Our points to games ratio at the moment is awful, if this doesn't improve then we could be cut adrift before the split.

I'm not saying that we will be relegated half way through the season but there's a lot of important games to be played coming up to keep us in with a shout.

Well you say you disagree then you say that we won't be relegated halfway through the season. So you're actually agreeing with me.

We could lose the next 4 games and stay up. There's a lot of football to be played, and post split will be when 11th and 12th is decided.

Well you say you disagree then you say that we won't be relegated halfway through the season. So you're actually agreeing with me.

We could lose the next 4 games and stay up. There's a lot of football to be played, and post split will be when 11th and 12th is decided.

No I'm not agreeing with you, your obviously only reading bits of the post. I'm disagreeing with you when you say no games until the split is critical, that's utter nonsense!

Yes, there's plenty of football to be played but we can't keep losing and then suddenly come to life after the split. I'm not saying we couldn't lose the next 4 games and stay up, it would make it more difficult but not impossible.

No I'm not agreeing with you, your obviously only reading bits of the post. I'm disagreeing with you when you say no games until the split is critical, that's utter nonsense!

Yes, there's plenty of football to be played but we can't keep losing and then suddenly come to life after the split. I'm not saying we couldn't lose the next 4 games and stay up, it would make it more difficult but not impossible.

So they aren't critical then?

Games before the split could certainly be critical, if around Feb/March time we are 10 points adrift we'd certainly be in a critical state.

Of course at the moment, we are one win from safety and we aren't even half way to the split yet. It's not a great situation, but it certainly isn't critical, it isn't even nearly critical.

I don't think any team has stayed up after being 6 points adrift at the split - I know it's different now with the play-off spot but the largest catch-up was Falkirk in 2008/09 who were 4 points adrift at the split.

Last season Partick were only one point behind us and more relevantly 4 behind Hibs.

Even in the other famous post-split collapse Dundee in 2004/05 there was only a 4 point difference between Livi & Dundee.

The common factor those three seasons had was 4/5 teams within catching distance at the split so that there were very few "uncontested" games - I wouldn't fancy our chances of making up much ground if we go into the split in a three way contest, which seems our best hope at present.

With the possible exception of Celtic every game between now and the end of the season is vital erm critical!

The games against Well & County are doublepluscritical!

Edited by Bud the Baker

So they aren't critical then?

Games before the split could certainly be critical, if around Feb/March time we are 10 points adrift we'd certainly be in a critical state.

Of course at the moment, we are one win from safety and we aren't even half way to the split yet. It's not a great situation, but it certainly isn't critical, it isn't even nearly critical.

Ok so games before the split could be critical then.

Yip, I think you'll find that's what I was saying.

Vital time now looming, time to shape some change into this horrendous season, or sink.................

Home to MOTHERWELL

Away to DUNDEE

Home to KILLIE

Away to ICT

If we don't dig out at the very least two wins from these games,we are effectively down and out by 4th January.

The scope of the task here and now is simple, we must make significant inroads into those teams in 8th and 9th, the time is here to win some games , OR, irrespective of who gets the manager's gig, we'll be making long term plans for several years outwith the SPFL once more

It seems a shame that after surviving that madness @ Fir Park courtesy of Mehmet and Sutton , we've never actually become a consolidated Top league team.

Anyway, once more unto the breach , the fans will dig deep , hope to phuck the players do.

Home to MOTHERWELL - WIN

Away to DUNDEE - DRAW

Home to KILLIE - WIN

Away to ICT - LOSE

Would do me.

They key to staying up is remaining part of a group of teams fighting the drop and not being cut adrift for the bulk of the season. Top Cat is right statistically that we won't be relegated with half the season left to play. I'd suggest we will need to take close to 30 points from the second half of the season to be in with a good shout of avoiding the drop or to have the kind of second half to the season that Hamilton or St Johnstone have had in the first half of the season. Given how scare clean sheets and goals and victories have been we will want to avoid having to win our last 10 games in a row and hoping other relegation contenders lose when we are picking up our victories - once we get into the split it gets hard for all our fellow relegation contenders to all drop points week by week!

If we were to almost double our points total for the season in the next 4 games I would be astonished but something of that order should see us close the gap on Partick Thistle, Dundee and Kilmarnock while also turning our own form around and gives us a reasonable shout of reaching the split with hopefully a handful of points separating us from those teams.