Gary Teale In Tax Scandal

Aye.

There's hundreds if not thousands of players have been seduced by this.

Gary Linekar mibbe the biggest name? He can afford to pay it back, but lots of lesser known players (like Saints' Gary) may have taken the wrong advice. Bad news. sad.png

Stevie Thompson is also dangling out there with regard to the Deid Club's EBT scandal - still unresolved.

Edited by bluto

Why can't people just be honest when they get caught up in this kind of thing? He was asked did he seek to avoid paying tax. The correct answer should have been that he paid accountants and an agent to find him the best way to run his business and - I presume - one of them told him about this way of avoiding paying higher rate tax on his earnings so he took it.

Why can't people just be honest when they get caught up in this kind of thing? He was asked did he seek to avoid paying tax. The correct answer should have been that he paid accountants and an agent to find him the best way to run his business and - I presume - one of them told him about this way of avoiding paying higher rate tax on his earnings so he took it.

Because you can dress this up in all the legal terms you like but deep down inside everyone who engages in this knows it's morally indefensible to dodge tax in this type of way when people on low salaries are unable to do so.

The reaction of those found to be taking part is called a guilty conscience.

You should try it Dicky. It's what holds society together and provides us with taxes which stop us having to live in caves.

Right now the lowest earners in our society are paying for all of it and the richest are taking the piss as per usual.

Footballers are a case in point. It's not enough to earn £20k to £50k per week? You have to try to get out of paying any tax as well? WTF?

Edited by oaksoft

We're quick to jump in and say that he hasn't done anything wrong - but if it was a Rangers player we would be calling him every name under the sun.

I don't blame the players - I blame the clubs/agents/financial managers that tell them it's legal in the first place. Any fines should be paid by them.

We're quick to jump in and say that he hasn't done anything wrong - but if it was a Rangers player we would be calling him every name under the sun.

I don't blame the players - I blame the clubs/agents/financial managers that tell them it's legal in the first place. Any fines should be paid by them.

Your first paragraph is spot-on. Can't agree with your second, though. These guys might not be the brightest stars in the firmament, but they have to take some responsibility for their actions.

They f**ked up due to greed, and have been rumbled.

Tough tittie.

Your first paragraph is spot-on. Can't agree with your second, though. These guys might not be the brightest stars in the firmament, but they have to take some responsibility for their actions.

They f**ked up due to greed, and have been rumbled.

Tough tittie.

I dunno man, I don't think players do much of the financial stuff themselves - they just get told where to sign. Obviously an element of the blame lies with them for not being responsible with their own financial situation - but for Gary Teale - you just can't imagine him willingly seeking to avoid tax. Although stranger things have happened.

People need to understand that tax AVOIDANCE is not illegal. Tax EVASION is.

People need to understand no such thing.

Like I said above, using a legal getout isn't a defence.

This is a moral issue not a legal one.

As for the scheme in question? It has yet to be decided whether that was purely a tax avoidance vehicle.

If it was, then it's abuse - whether legal or not.

I think use of the word 'scandal' is a bit strong.

There are tonnes of schemes like this. Every now and then, the HMRC will turn around and decide to close the loopholes - and it is entitled to retrospectively ask for the unpaid tax back.

It'll be fine, all he needs to do is tell everyone he is now The Gary Teale.

773592.gif

No sympathy for this lot including our own man. These blatant tax dodge schemes were set up on the pretence members of the scheme were investing in the UK film industry. However that was never their intention, they from the outset sought to declare huge losses through the scheme that would be off set against their tax liabilities on all other money they earned.

Put simply if you or me are earning £20k a year, we pay tax on anything over £10k at 20%.

This lot who could be earning £200k or more a year and obliged to pay 45% tax on earnings over £150k were using the fake losses from the movie scheme to avoid paying what you and i have no option but to pay if we want roads, schools, hospitals, prisoners locked up, 70's celebrities brought to book etc, etc. they weren't trimming a wee bit iff the top, they were after a full skinhead!

People don't realise this is not a victimless crime! You, me, your children, grandchildren, pensioners who cant afford to heat their house, or get someone in to bring a decent meal.... We are all the victims of this obsession with not paying your way and they should like you and me be made to pay back all the tax they dodged plus the relevant interest, or do time if they've spent it.

Thats what would happen to you or me if we didn't pay what we should have.

People need to understand that tax AVOIDANCE is not illegal. Tax EVASION is. Whether tax avoidance is morally correct while most ordinary punters pick up the tax tab is another matter altogether.

This. Haven't rock bands being doing this for decades now by recording albums in Ireland or living here, but living abroad for a week (I paraphrase) to avoid a big tax hit?

There's all sorts of avoidance going on. It stinks, but if it isn't illegal, then we could argue the moral issue all day - which would lead to a massive difference in our subjective views on it.

Is Gary Teale more or less of a cnut than Def Leppard, who all decided to buy houses near Dublin? You decide.

People need to understand no such thing.

Like I said above, using a legal getout isn't a defence.

This is a moral issue not a legal one.

As for the scheme in question? It has yet to be decided whether that was purely a tax avoidance vehicle.

If it was, then it's abuse - whether legal or not.

Some might ask if it's morally right to financially penalise people because of their earning potential by way of punitive tax banding

This. Haven't rock bands being doing this for decades now by recording albums in Ireland or living here, but living abroad for a week (I paraphrase) to avoid a big tax hit?

There's all sorts of avoidance going on. It stinks, but if it isn't illegal, then we could argue the moral issue all day - which would lead to a massive difference in our subjective views on it.

Is Gary Teale more or less of a cnut than Def Leppard, who all decided to buy houses near Dublin? You decide.

Merchant seaman use this loophole as a norm. I have known some to take a 6 week holiday in the carribean to "circumnavigate" paying tax.