Things You Would Like To Change About (New) St. Mirren Park

Doakes

I'd like to see the Hall of Fame panels updated to include Van Zanten, Basher and Rankin.

Other than that, the stadium is perfect and I love it....... Aye. Right. Would be OK with the latest generation synthetic surface installed, build extra training pitches on the car park, and use it as a training complex instead of Ralston, hire it out for cash, and on the site of the old ground, build a 12,000 capacity Tynecastle clone with four steep stands joining at the corners.

Dream on.

I'd like to see a change to the visual form that is behind the goals!

That sounds a strange statement...... I know, but I have a this little sneaky thought that keeps entering my head every time I'm at SMP that it's actually quite visually messy behind the goals and as a result it's possibly (and believe me I say possibly) more difficult for the players to see the goals also!

At Love Street the goals were quite a distance from the terracing and even once the new stand was built at the Caledonia St end, it seemed a better visual experience than at the new SMP.

So I would try and make the backdrop to the goals much less cluttered.

There fantasy over!

That sounds a strange statement...... I know, but I have a this little sneaky thought that keeps entering my head every time I'm at SMP that it's actually quite visually messy behind the goals and as a result it's possibly (and believe me I say possibly) more difficult for the players to see the goals also!

At Love Street the goals were quite a distance from the terracing and even once the new stand was built at the Caledonia St end, it seemed a better visual experience than at the new SMP.

There fantasy over!

I agree, I am in the Family Stand.

A huge curtain blocking my view of the pitch wid be brill

Shull Posted:

A huge curtain blocking my view of the pitch wid be brill

Now there's a thought, could we kill the two birds with one stone....................... a form of monotone netting that makes the area behind the goal just like a flat screen, but the punters behind the screen could still see through it and actually experience some joy in seeing their heroes finding the net!

I miss the old North Bank atmosphere so I would set aside the middle section of West stand as 'Non Allocated'. This would allow a choir section to assemble in the best place.

How I see it working is that season tickets could be bought for this section (seated anywhere in the section) and the balance of the seats would be sold at each game on the same 'sit anywhere in this section' basis.

The Greenhill Wind tunnel eh, hellish place to watch football.

Get the angle of the stands steeper, something like the Falkirk stadium stands. The low profile of the stands allows any atmosphere to simply drift away, much like we are doing at present. Get some form of screening and partition / cover in the open corners from the elements.

Bring back pay at the gate.

There fantasy over!

We could make the goalposts out of flashing lights but I doubt it would make any difference to our strikers :)

Re: atmosphere.

unless the club are prepared to really promote certain sections of the ground and initiatives to let like-minded people congregate together, it's going to take a good few years and new generation of fans before a go-to section is established.

love st evolved over decades to the stadium and layout it was. As you grew up following st.mirren, everyone migrated from various parts of the ground; you'd start watching with parents/grandparents in the main stand/enclosure/terracing, then shift together with your mates, before inevitably at some stage ending up in the north bank for a sing song.

Sadly, all those established areas and the folk in them were dispersed throughout the new ground on moving. Whatever your reasons, most folk chose a new seat in a specific area and have probably stuck with it.

Failing an intervention, then unfortunately I reckon it will take the next generation of supporters to naturally establish an area for themselves (attracting a next generation of fans is a very important issue in itself).

Alternatively, there are few other sure fire ways of creating an atmosphere. the team could try playing some consistent attacking fitba. Or give everyone a few pre-match beers. 100% of studies prove this to be true.

For all the talk of apex roofs and enclosed corners, you first need to create an atmosphere before you can retain it.

The reason why away games tend to have a better atmosphere amongst st.mirren fans is because all the fans including everyone willing and wanting to sing are forced together in the same small area of the ground...and a few beers are more likely to have been consumed.

Build more turnstiles, simply not enough.

Paint the horrid grey panels in the Main Stand black and white

Enlarge the tiny St Mirren Football Club sign in the Main Stand to a half decent size.

Paint the shoddy grey breeze blocks under the stands.

Get hot running water in the toilets.

Enclose all the bare electric and plumbing work under the stands to make it look semi-professional.

Wash the seats at least once a week, twenty quid to sit on manky seats is not on.

Sort out the electronic entry system, a complete nightmare when it goes wrong.

Paint black and white stripes on the outside panels of each stand, especially the Main Stand which looks like a cheap and shoddy finish (reminds me of the new Mill Street flats).

In actual fact bulldoze the purpose built cheap and nasty place (all the soul of a local supermarket) and return to Love Street.