If We Were To Get New Managment

No disrespect to Gary Teale meant here and for what it's worth I have a feeling Gary will get the job.

However if the board decided on a new manager who would you like to see appointed.

Billy Davies would be a great choice in my mind with bags of experience. Could we afford him ? Then again I'm sure Billy has made a bit of dosh and might see Saints as a challenge with him living local is a good point

Ally McCoist & Kenny McDowall , Both were working under unbelivable circalmstances in the off field soap opra. Both have a vast knowledge of players from the lower leagues while McDowall is known within the game to be one of the best coaches in the country. McCoist has talent and is a good motivator. Again both live local and could see Saints as a good chance to get back into the game.

Butcher is another who is out of work and while he has had up and down sucesses in managment the fact Saints have to rebuild a team could be in his favour with contacts he has through out the country.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

I can see why people go for Calderwood or Butcher.............but why Murray?

Because he's exceeded expectations at Dumbarton.

I'd always go for an up&comer* like Murray (or my choice Aitken) over old lags like Butcher or Calderwood - although, unlike some, I accept old lags will have a few failures on their records else they'd not be available.unsure.png

We have to accept that GT is the current manager and given the financial circumstances the likeliest guy to be in charge at the start of next season, we just have to hope that he's learned from this clusterfuck of a season. There's five post-split games to go and I wouldn't like to see us get the sorta results which make GT continuing as manager untenable.

* I'll bet there were people saying "Who the fuck are East Stirling & what's this guy Ferguson done?" 30 years ago!

Edited by Bud the Baker

If we end up in Div 2 and IF we have the second largest budget in Scottish Football and IF we sign internationalists to play against East Stirling and the likes, then certainly McCoist has an exceptional record of somehow beating these teams, however his record against slightly bigger teams like Alloa, Raith and Livi leave a lot to be desired.

In in nutshell - "You having a laugh!!!!!!

If we are to go down the route of employing a young up and coming manager, then Stevie Autken is an outstanding candidate given what he's done at Stranraer.

I think he'd be a decent shout (although his Morton baggage might be an issue for some folk). However, the Stranraer chairman was in one of the papers today saying they're confident of holding onto him as he has a decent full-time job and it would take a big offer to make it worth his while giving that up.

Depends how keen he is to go full-time - Tom Hendrie was probably on more as a teacher than we were offering.

If QOS don't manage promotion I would be looking at James Fowler's situation , contract wise !

Signed a new one just the other week.

Edited by Stu

If we are to go down the route of employing a young up and coming manager, then Stevie Autken is an outstanding candidate given what he's done at Stranraer.

It was mentioned in the papers that Aitken has a full time job with Rolls Royce and it would take a special job for him to leave.

Ally McCoist & Kenny McDowall , Both were working under unbelivable circalmstances in the off field soap opra. Both have a vast knowledge of players from the lower leagues while McDowall is known within the game to be one of the best coaches in the country. McCoist has talent and is a good motivator. Again both live local and could see Saints as a good chance to get back into the game.

lol.gif:

You are joking, right? blink.png

Edited by nosferatu

Calderwood butcher or ian Murray for me

I can see why people go for Calderwood or Butcher.............but why Murray?

Paul Murray would be at least as good as IoB's initial list.

ETA: Or possibly Chic Murray? :unsure:

Edited by bluto

Kenny McDowall or Ally McCoist??

Both and why not ?

McCoist has the experience of coming through three lower divisions. Apart from that he knows players from each league which is vital for us given our budget for next season as we start a rebuilding programme.

As for Kenny McDowall Celtic did not want to let him go as their youth coach . Walter Smith is on record saying McDowall is one of the best coaches he has ever came across.

If we were interviewing for a new management team i personally think it would be silly not even to listen to what they have to say given their experience. I'm not judging them from what was their last club but what they can bring to the table from lower leagues experience.

Anyway have town other names into the mix , if I was to bet it would be Gary Teale who will be our manager

Both and why not ?

McCoist has the experience of coming through three lower divisions. Apart from that he knows players from each league which is vital for us given our budget for next season as we start a rebuilding programme.

As for Kenny McDowall Celtic did not want to let him go as their youth coach . Walter Smith is on record saying McDowall is one of the best coaches he has ever came across.

If we were interviewing for a new management team i personally think it would be silly not even to listen to what they have to say given their experience. I'm not judging them from what was their last club but what they can bring to the table from lower leagues experience.

Anyway have town other names into the mix , if I was to bet it would be Gary Teale who will be our manager

As stated before ... McDowall is a coach, not first team manager material. Tommy Craig MK II.

McCoist proved beyond any reasonable doubt that he is a good figurehead but tactically inept.

How could he possibly turn decent players into dummies so regularly... easy... long ball and no plan b.

Both and why not ?

If we were interviewing for a new management team i personally think it would be silly not even to listen to what they have to say given their experience. I'm not judging them from what was their last club but what they can bring to the table from lower leagues experience

They couldn't beat teams like Alloa and Cowdenbeath with a squad of 65, many of them highly paid internationals, pre-match nights in Gleneagles before far-flung matches in places like Forfar...

How on earth could either of those diddies cope with a St Mirren budget?!?! :o

As stated before ... McDowall is a coach, not first team manager material. Tommy Craig MK II.

McCoist proved beyond any reasonable doubt that he is a good figurehead but tactically inept.

How could he possibly turn decent players into dummies so regularly... easy... long ball and no plan b.

Maybe its the way I am writing it. What am writing is BOTH McCoist as number 1 McDowall as number 2

Both and why not ?

Stewart Gilmour is on record as saying Tommy Craig is one of the best coaches he has come across.

Need I go on?

They couldn't beat teams like Alloa and Cowdenbeath with a squad of 65, many of them highly paid internationals, pre-match nights in Gleneagles before far-flung matches in places like Forfar...

How on earth could either of those diddies cope with a St Mirren budget?!?! ohmy.png

Better than you obviously think for reasons I wrote

Frankly I will be disappointed if Gary Teale gets the job.

I think he has had to work under very difficult circumstances since taking over and there was an iniial glimmer of hope that he could turn it around, however the team has actually ended up being even WORSE under him than it was under Tommy in my humble opinion.

I've no idea what's went on behind the scenes but the last two performances against Motherwell and County were absolutely unforgiveable.

I also struggle to remove Teale completely from blame for the state of the squad he inherited. He was part of the management team who recruited those players last summer and the players he brought in once he was the manager weren't much better.

I would rather see us break the chain and replace with someone who knows how to get out of that division. Terry Butcher ticks that box for me, Calderwood is another one who I'd be quite happy with.

Maybe its the way I am writing it. What am writing is BOTH McCoist as number 1 McDowall as number 2

But that's the dream team that persevwered with the long ball saying that freeflowing football wasn't possible in the lower divisions... whilst clubs like QoS would romp the division the season before them, scoring for fun and being lauded for good football.

That's the dream team that persevered playing McGregor at full back so that Moshni could play in central defence... then bemoaned their poor defensive displays!

Still a massive no way hosé from me.