St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Board release statement

There is no getting away from the fact that this has been a difficult and disappointing season for everyone connected with St Mirren Football Club culminating in what will be a 12th place finish and relegation to the Championship.

As a Board of Directors we have always made what we believed to be the best decisions for the good of the Club. This season, unfortunately, we have got some of those decisions wrong, and we hold our hands up and accept responsibility.

One of the reasons we all love football is that it moves on quickly and as a Club we have to do the same and start the rebuilding process immediately. So rather than spend the next few months dealing with the recriminations we will look to the future and start this process from today.

The first step on this road is the appointment of a new manager. We are now inviting applications from managers interested in managing this great club with first class facilities and excellent young players. The Board would like to place on record our thanks to both Gary Teale and David Longwell for taking over the reigns after Tommy Craigs departure and whilst the job of avoiding relegation proved to be a step too far their commitment, effort and endeavour has been there for all to see. We would expect Gary to put his name forward for the vacant managers position and we will duly consider his application along with all others we receive.

Edited by Lord Pityme

No, that's how it appears on the Official site.

ETA I think I hear a whoosh.

Naw.... no whoosh.

I feared that might be the case but couldnae be arsed looking to check, then flinch at its crassness once again.

Thank you, so much... :rolleyes:

Smoke and mirrors, the whole thing. This is the first BoD statement on this matter.

Statement two in a few weeks will say that we have ben inundated with applications, from all around the world, some outstanding names throwing their hat in the ring.

Statement three will come a further few weeks after that....asking the fans to be patient, diffcult task to work through such quality of applicant to draw up a shortlist, taking their time to make sure they get it right for this important pre-season.

Statement four will be released a week or so before a ball is kicked....the BoD would like to welcome Gary Teale on a full-time basis.

Not disrespecting gary in any way. He inherited a shambles and was never going to be experienced enought to turn it around. Just making a point that this BoD will try to work the same nonsense that they got away with last time.

Take the perceived cheap option irrespective of the potential damage to club and the individual's reputation/career prospects.

A proper application and interview process this time, please.

Have no idea who will apply let alone who will get it to be honest. Could be some unheard of Argentine, could be Gary Teale.

Shall be an interesting summer either way.

New manager, fresh ideas.

Teale had his chance and took us down, thanks for your efforts but cheerio to f**k,

I'm not disagreeing with you WRT a new manager. However, GT came in and gave it his best shot which wasn't good enough. His hands were tied to a certain extent and losing McLean which I assume he's have no say in didn't help.

I hope we get it right this time.

Marc McAusland and Gary Teale will forever be 2013 League Cup winning legends. McAusland's performance in the semi final, wheeling to set up a goal. His assured display against Celtic's quality strikeforce. Gary Teale spinning away and unselfishly squaring the ball for Ismael Goncalves... forever etched in my memory banks as one of the great St Mirren moments. Up there with Fergie's winner in '87 hitting the net, Jimmy Bone running the length of the field v Aberdeen, Mallan's dazzling goal v Dundee, Tony Fitzpatrick's stunning substitute's display in '87.

Right up there. No question.

As a manager, despite being dealt a duff hand, I thought Gary Teale would instill a resolve, a fighting spirit, and a seige mentality amongst the squad that would echo the 'Motherwell and Falkirk away' performances that previous St Mirren sides dug deep to find. We never even came close. That was incredibly hard to take - that if we were going down, we didn't go down fighting. As someone who was right at the heart of the dressing room as a player, Gary Teale should, at the very least, have had us going down fighting. That we surrendered meekly made his position completely untenable. What I find perplexing is the BoD inviting Gary to apply for the job again. That has to be some sort of incredibly bad joke. Gary asked for clarity this week. Clarity would be to have a clean break and thank him for his service. What clarity has he received today? Re-apply alongside Jimmy Calderwood, Billy Stark, forty to fifty others and we'll consider it? I cannot believe what I read today in that BoD statement.

I am reasonably sure that Gary Teale isn't short of a bob or two after a long and successful career. I wish him all the best for the future as a fan who enjoyed seeing his displays on the wing and his massive contribution to the cup win in 2013.