Tony Fitzpatrick

Tony Fitzpatrick is the guest on Peter and Roughie show tonight really good watch !! Also on tomorrow night as well .

Just watched both interviews on the STV Player.

Please watch them .

Absolutely fantastic.

Tony is a St Mirren God.

STV PLAYER

PETER & ROUGHIE'S SHOW

July 6th & 7th

5 and 6 days left to watch.

Edited by shull

Watched them last night and a must for all Saints fans. Really interesting viewing and makes you realise how lucky we were to have such a good player for so many years. Brought back great memories of watching brilliant players at Love Street when I was a nipper too. Reaffirms Fitzy's legend status. Ta for the heeds up.

Brilliant, what a guy!! LEGEND

He is a true St Mirren legend and absolute gentleman. It was very refreshing to hear someone who was involved in the game to be so honest with his stories. So many players and managers are always very guarded in what they say.

An autobiography would be a top seller in the Scottish football world.

They could easily had him on all week

Far better story teller than manager

Great player though

I don't know if anyone have ever had the pleasure of hearing tony at one of his motivational talks that he now does? By all accounts it's absolutely inspirational, talking about his life in general and all the ups and downs he has went through.

from seeing a house in thornly park when he was an apprentice, and deciding there and then that he would buy it when he made it - and he duly did - to the tragedies in his life and the losses he made at Livingston. And through it all never lost enthusiasm for life.

Without a doubt an autobiography would be one of the best, if not the best, autobiographies certainly by a footballer.

I'll have a listen when I get home.

Say what you will about Fitzy, he had a torrid tome of it as gaffer with us but nothing, not even personal tragedy can keep the guy down. He's a true role model for and one of life's winners, oh and a genuinely good, decent human being to boot. As young ball boy in the mid 90s I used to get down to love Street early on match day to just sit in the dugout, look at the empty ground, imagining being out there playing and watch the players coming in and go about their duties.

A few players stuck out as gents above all. Yards, Combe, Trigger, Gary Mcgrotty and Chris Iwelumo being the ones who would stop for a few minutes rather than just "awrite wee man" in passing, but Fitzy always had time to stop for a wee 10 min chat on a Saturday about 1pm when his mind was clearly on the match ahead and the fact that he would take time to chat on a personal down to earth level with a slightly star struck ball boy always stuck with me and as I grew up, I l realised he didn't have to even give a ball boy the time of day much less stop and converse with me. Made me realise just how good a guy he was and still is.

Thing is there will be literally dozens of fans who could no doubt recall similar interactions with the man.

Said it before, only a few months ago and I'll say it again, there should always be a place for Fitzy at SMP. Even if its just in a goodwill role or host of hospitality, the fact he's not associated with us is a complete nonsense.

Wasn't going to post this as I reckon tony is probably too humble a guy, but I had.a look at his book website having listened to the 2 stv interviews, which I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday and today. Within less than half an hour of sending a positive email to the address on the contact page on his wee boys book page I received a personal call from the great man himself thanking me for my best wishes. Mental, slightly dumbstruck. 38 years old and a hero phoned me at work today. Sir tony of Fitzpatrick, club legend and all round great guy

I can only agree with every post above re the Great Man. He gave me some of my favourite memories of European nights, Cup wins and all round pride in everything Saint Mirren related. I still bore my 3 sons with stories of past glories he helped deliver. His delight, pride and positivity in being associated with St Mirren in his various terms with us shone through the interview and the honest enjoyment of their chat was written all over Peter and Roughie's faces. I hope we use his services as a motivational speaker to gee up the current squad as we could take the Championship by storm if the guys are half as positive as he is.

Legend is a much abused word, however, it couldn't be more appropriate for Tony Fitzpatrick!

Must make a mental note to catch this before it is taken off the air. Have been lucky enough to meet the man a couple of times, and he is an absolute gentleman as others have said.

Only two days left, drew!

You need to sign in however. I'm not good at doing that... :(

Edited by bluto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...