The One That Got Away

McGinn away to one of our Championship rivals that has left a bitter taste in some of our fans mouths on how this ended bearing in mind he was a cup winning legend. We have lost many a player over the years to transfer fees and the Bosman ruling. We lost McLean last year which also caused unrest amongst fans with regards to the fee and the timing.

For me the most disappointing loss was when Mendes left our side to go to Dunfermline for what is reported for financial reasons.

Who for you has been our most disappointing departure and for what reason?

Steve Clarke to Chelsea. Best full back I have seen playing in black and white. Much earlier would be Frank McDougall to Aberdeen. Much underrated player given stick, suffered a leg break and then let Aberdeen fans see just how good he was

I preferred Iain Munro as best full back... but Clarke was class.

Hmm, maybe not the best , but in the typical style of St Mirren and decent players in general who move, we had a certain Icelandic striker.

Torfason who was a terrific goal threat , where does he go in the end after a crackin few seasons with us, erm, the Fakes.

Sick at how many players we lose in general for that paltry wee provincial extra £50 or £100 a week

Hmm, maybe not the best , but in the typical style of St Mirren and decent players in general who move, we had a certain Icelandic striker.

Torfason who was a terrific goal threat , where does he go in the end after a crackin few seasons with us, erm, the Fakes.

Sick at how many players we lose in general for that paltry wee provincial extra £50 or £100 a week

He was closer to Iceland. whistling.gif

Sir Alex Ferguson leaving. No contest IMHO. We could have achieved at least some of what Aberdeen and indeed Dundee United did in the 1980s.

Still makes me sad thinking about it.

We were never a big enough club to achieve that level of success we were always a stepping stone for him