Which New Young Player Will Be A Success?

To make a change from the pishy negative threads from the usual culprits l thought it would be nice to have a positive thread. So which young player will be a success?

Mallan already is a success in that as a 19 year old he has held a place down in the team and shown great potential as well as having half the world see his goal against Dundee. Baird and Morgan look like the next two who may be able to hold down a place. Any other takers?

To make a change from the pishy negative threads from the usual culprits l thought it would be nice to have a positive thread. So which young player will be a success?

Mallan already is a success in that as a 19 year old he has held a place down in the team and shown great potential as well as having half the world see his goal against Dundee. Baird and Morgan look like the next two who may be able to hold down a place. Any other takers?

Very good thread.

Pity I can't add anything as I hardly see the team. lol.gif

Should certainly be easier for young players to make their mark and establish themselves. Aside from winning occasional trophies that's probably the next most enjoyable part of being a St Mirren supporter. The squad size will allow a few the chance. Look forward to it. No idea of the answer to the question as haven't seen any of the players, but will answer with absolute certainty after i'm up for the Hibs and Alloa games. tongue.png

I think all of our own youth products will shine at some point during the season, as will (hopefully) our loan signings.

What I'd really like to see is Baird making the CH position his own, and for Mallan, McLear and Morgan to make a significant contribution to our goal tally for the season.

I don't want to highlight a specific player, as that would surely put the curse of doom onto them.death.gif

We spend years developing players for other teams. That's the way of it. We develop talent for Hibs, Aberdeen and the likes. We get paid small fees and that's it. Learn to accept this yes?

As other teams do for other teams.

Edited by pod

As other teams do for other teams.

Indeed that's football for you. Best a team our size can do is enjoy watching players whilst we can then look for the next one. We won't ever win the SPL with 11 kids who cane from our youth ranks but we will get occasional promotions and trophy with a mix of older pros and youngsters.

Morgan was the only player who was any good today

Probably just about agree but yesterday was probably the wrong match to try and assess the youngsters - was properly men against boys out there. Struck me just how much bigger and more powerful the Sheffield lads were. When Jordan Stewart was trying to win the ball off one of them late in the game, it was like watching one of those 'lads v dads' games that my kids get me dragged into from time to time.

Probably just about agree but yesterday was probably the wrong match to try and assess the youngsters - was properly men against boys out there. Struck me just how much bigger and more powerful the Sheffield lads were. When Jordan Stewart was trying to win the ball off one of them late in the game, it was like watching one of those 'lads v dads' games that my kids get me dragged into from time to time.

That's the Championship for you big strong athletes apart from Ross Wallace who looked 2 stone overweight

A strange game to take considering we struggled against lower level teams Acc Stanley,Darlington and Carlisle in the past with stronger squads

I think Baird is starting to really look the part, he's got everything he needs to be a great centre half. He reads the game well, is good in the air, and doesn't panic on the ball, but it's his aggression and commitment that impresses me most. When he gets a few more games under his belt, and maybe fills out a little, he'll be a very commanding defender.

Also been impressed by Morgan and McLear, both look to be growing in confidence every time they take to the pitch. If we get the balance of game time and nurturing right, we could have a very good crop of youngsters here.

• 11 months later...