Steven Thompson

Really annoyed at Thompson's comments in The Sun today wherein he states he expects Rangers to win the league and best we can hope for is a play off spot.As a season ticket holder I expect more from him quite frankly as he is the captain.What is the point of it all if he cannot get his colleagues up for the campaign.Really annoyed here also that we have not got our squad in place with the league commencing this Friday.The club were not so slow in asking for season ticket money.

It's called common sense.

IF we outdo them then all well and good and Stevie will be as delighted as any Saints' fan but he's saying nothing Bookies and pundits are saying. If he were saying he expected The rangers to beat us on Friday that would be another matter.

Edited by stlucifer

Your annoyed because he said what every last one of us knows behave yourself .As for the second part of your post the Rangers game was written off as soon as it was announced if we are still in the same position at the end of the month then we will be in the shit but time will tell .

Players and managers often talk down their club's chances in these interviews. Call it mind games or whatever. I wouldn't be reading too much into it. Its pretty typical, and inconsequential.

On the squad situation, does every club aside from SMFC have their full intended compliment already? The window doesn't shut for a few weeks yet.

Haven't seen the comments, but if it's as simple as you're saying, I don't see a massive problem. He's right, I expect Rangers to win the league too, I hope they don't, and I'd like to think we can give them a run for their money, but it's hard to deny they're overwhelming favourites. I'd be happy with a play off place.

I haven't read the article myself, but if you were to ask our fans who they think might win the league, I think most would realistically say

The Rangers. And why not, as they are quoted as 4/9 favourites.Steven Thompson is no different than you or me and quite frankly I'd rather him speak honestly and realistic than spout some pre-written pish. I am more than sure he and the rest of whatever team St.Mirren have on the park, will be trying their hardest to win every game. You say Thomson states he EXPECTS The Rangers will win the league, he didn't say he WANTS them to win it.And you as a die hard fan bought your season ticket because you love your club, just like our captain does.

Edited by Buddie Marvelous

Haven't seen the comments, but if it's as simple as you're saying, I don't see a massive problem. He's right, I expect Rangers to win the league too, I hope they don't, and I'd like to think we can give them a run for their money, but it's hard to deny they're overwhelming favourites. I'd be happy with a play off place.

"happy with a play off place". Really judging by last year when the play off winner - Gers got stuffed 6 v 1 by Motherwell. We need a much better squad to even compete in the Championship never mind compete with Premiership teams.

We need to spend some of the £500,000 from McLean and McGinn on some good quality pro's. Defence is no where near good enough and how many goals are we likely to score? Sadly the Gers have done a far better job building their squad in recent months and they too had new manager, assistance and big squad changes. (They also have far bigger overheads/potential debt)

What if he said he expects us to win the league and the best Rangers can hope for is a play off spot? He'd be wheeled away in a padded jacket lol.gif .

Maybe he could of said Rangers are favourites but we are looking to make it as hard as possible for them to win the league.

Plus its the Sun, who cares about that rag.

Agreed. Realistic though it may be the last thing you would want is your captain chucking the towel in, a week before the season even starts though.....

Murray was in the paper a week or two ago, claiming that we "are absolutely in the mix to win the league." Obviously if nothing else, he hasn't managed to convince Thompson......

Edited by ds10

It's not chucking the towel in. It's a dose of reality.

I have a 4 team league winners accumulator and Rangers to win the championship is one of my four. Does this mean I'm less of a St Mirren fan or want us to win the league any less? No on both counts, but I bet with my head instead of my heart. Thompson isn't allowing his heart to rule his head and accepts that if we are in a title push this season then it would be a fantastic bonus.

Some of the attitudes and sometimes abuse to our captain and an absolute club legend on this forum this preseason and last season has ranged from the unsettling to outright disgraceful.

Must be me but I'm struggling to see why everybody appears terrified of rangers...signed nobody's and beat a poor hibs side.. Why they are favourites is beyond me...as for saying Fridays game is a write off is beyond belief from some people..i will be going there 100% confident of victory..

Any player of any club who does not have the ambition to target winning the league at start of season shows a total lack of respect towards the fans..if I was Thommo I would have said "I fully expect saints to fire out the blocks this season and go on and win the league" keep the negative shit to yourself!

The above of course assume Thommo didn't also say something to that effect but The Scum preferring to focus on what may have been a fairly flippant response to a question along the lines of "Rangers are bookies favourites, do you think they'll win it ?" Not that that sort of tabloid hack approach happens much, eh ? ????

Really annoyed at Thompson's comments in The Sun today wherein he states he expects Rangers to win the league and best we can hope for is a play off spot.As a season ticket holder I expect more from him quite frankly as he is the captain.What is the point of it all if he cannot get his colleagues up for the campaign.Really annoyed here also that we have not got our squad in place with the league commencing this Friday.The club were not so slow in asking for season ticket money.

Take your points but what if St Johnstone or Dundee Utd players said that finishing second and getting a European slot was the best they can hope for with Celtic in the league? The team with most resources is likely to be the team that wins titles. Rangers have more resources, are likely to have a better squad as money talks.

Edited by nedflanders123

Take your points but what if St Johnstone or Dundee Utd players said that finishing second and getting a European slot was the best they can hope for with Celtic in the league. The team with most resources is likely to be the team that wins titles. Rangers gave more resources, are likely to have a better squad as money talks.

Didn't quite work out last season?