Kieran Doran Leaves

one of my neighbour's kids played/trained at cowden and at stenny a few years ago. They don't get much dosh in those parts and it is enough for students to keep the borrowing down, not much more so I take this move at face value as being exactly what he and his family argued for.

I think it was potentially damaging for us if he continued to be a focal point for the campaign against current youth contracts, much as i understand the principle of his stance i didn't want to see saints slurred or penalised in any way so it is good for both parties to see him released. Playing fitba is a lottery and he is right to keep his options open, especially considering where his career could go. so goodbye and good luck KD.

Hopefully, in signing his release papers, we wrote in a sell-on or future option clause to the agreement.

Glad he's found a club, decent guy and the way the club dealt with this was very poor in my opinion (though part of a wider problem with youth footballers signing contracts and then finding out all the power sits with the professional clubs).

I'd assume the HMRC investigation into the issue will carry on (as its investigations into minimum wage violations are not contingent on someone complaining or the person affected still being employed) so club could still be liable for a fine - up to £20,000 - if its proven he has not been paid the minimum wage.

Glad he's found a club, decent guy and the way the club dealt with this was very poor in my opinion (though part of a wider problem with youth footballers signing contracts and then finding out all the power sits with the professional clubs).

I'd assume the HMRC investigation into the issue will carry on (as its investigations into minimum wage violations are not contingent on someone complaining or the person affected still being employed) so club could still be liable for a fine - up to £20,000 - if its proven he has not been paid the minimum wage.

Hope it's proven wrong about minimum wage, the club doesn't get find and the boy turns out to be a fud.

Are you a St.Mirren supporter 1eye.gif

• 6 months later...

I still think the biggest problem with Doran's contract situation is he was given a full time contract when he was planning to go to university and be a full time medical student, and he obviously saw medicine as his chosen career rather than football. Surely someone should have asked him what he wanted to do after leaving school and when it was clear he didn't envisage being a full time footballer that should have been enough to tell us to concentrate our efforts elsewhere.