Tony Mcmanus Guitarist

dave.j

So, my dad's been going on about all the great music shows on STV Glasgow, for ages.

I set them all to series record and I've been catching up, tonight.

On a show called Grass Roots Music was a traditional guitarist, called Tony McManus, from Paisley.

Absolutely incredible! What a player!

Apparently it was his brother Jim who worked in Listen, who introduced him to a lot of music.

What's his story? Must a couple of folk on here know him.

The coolest record shop Paisley ever had was Listen though Gordon and Stereo 1 was good also.

Attended many live gigs in Paisley Tony's name does not ring a bell though traditional music was limited, one venue for folk music was the Rockfield hotel which was on Renfrew Road long gone ( Is that the right name ). Another folk club was started but did not last long. Paisleys Gerry Rafferty played the Rockfield as did the Paisleys own Tannahill Weavers later Dougie MacLean would front them.

• 3 weeks later...

Tony is from Paisley but now lives in Canada. I first met him in the eighties when if l remember rightly he was pursuing a classical route but next thing l knew he was picking trad scots, Irish and Cajun tunes. Amazing guitarist and had a lot of success worldwide. Used to play sessions with him and a few others. He still tours here. Check him out on YouTube, especially where he explains how he plays some of his tunes. Really nice guy