I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

On 30/12/2017 at 1:49 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

70 billion points to anyone who can place the sample at the start of the track.

No one? It's from the seminal episode of the the sci-fi series "The Outer Limits", the one James Cameron ripped off to make "The Terminator".

"The Demon with the Glass Hand"

@Bud the Baker, as a fan of Blade Runner, you'll recognise the building this is set in.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

11 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

No one? It's from the seminal episode of the the sci-fi series "The Outer Limits", the one James Cameron ripped off to make "The Terminator".

"The Demon with the Glass Hand"

Going back in time to alter history is a common sci-fi theme - how many Dr. Who episodes over the years have used this theme? I recall The Genesis of the Daleks when The Doctor (Tom Baker) muses on destroying the Daleks before they are fully formed and can cause chaos & destruction - surely this is like Arnie going back to destroy Skyview (sic) i.e. the T2 storyline. Philip K. Dick's estate considered suing about Terminator too but IIRC him being dead prevented this.

Just checked it on Wiki (I know) but the first works to raise the issue were in the 1930's. Back to The Future 2 relies on Biff getting a copy of an almanac from the future which is a reworking of an H.G. Wells short story from 1932. Want to read a story about an orphaned wizard with a scar on his forehead who goes to wizarding school and must eventually face his evil nemesis to save the world then try Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Series which started in the '60's. (and is much, much, better)!

Like I said it's a common sci-fi theme and the question is has the author done enough to make it genuinely different - with Terminator I'd say YES and that Cameron's view that it was an attempt by Ellison to wring money out by blocking release to be a more convincing explanation. Still as they say God luvs a trier, so respect to Harlan!

Edited by Bud the Baker

On 02/01/2018 at 11:25 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Going back in time to alter history is a common sci-fi theme - how many Dr. Who episodes over the years have used this theme? I recall The Genesis of the Daleks when The Doctor (Tom Baker) muses on destroying the Daleks before they are fully formed and can cause chaos & destruction - surely this is like Arnie going back to destroy Skyview (sic) i.e. the T2 storyline. Philip K. Dick's estate considered suing about Terminator too but IIRC him being dead prevented this.

Just checked it on Wiki (I know) but the first works to raise the issue were in the 1930's. Back to The Future 2 relies on Biff getting a copy of an almanac from the future which is a reworking of an H.G. Wells short story from 1932. Want to read a story about an orphaned wizard with a scar on his forehead who goes to wizarding school and must eventually face his evil nemesis to save the world then try Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Series which started in the '60's. (and is much, much, better)!

Like I said it's a common sci-fi theme and the question is has the author done enough to make it genuinely different - with Terminator I'd say YES and that Cameron's view that it was an attempt by Ellison to wring money out by blocking release to be a more convincing explanation. Still as they say God luvs a trier, so respect to Harlan!

Apart from watching Dr Who as a kid my interest in time travel stories started with Ray Bradbury's  A Sound of Thunder at secondary school , which we had to read , followed up with The Fox and the Forest which was an even more intersting story of an engineer going back in time to escape a fascist regime .  Bradbury's stories l did find entertaining , especially when you didn't have to read them as part of a curriculum. .

In recent years we have had a few movies and series that are based on time travel e.g 12 Monkeys which was also turned into a tv series and Outlander which I'm working my way through now and stars a member of the family .  In a way , Highlander also dealt with time travel but the original idea was ruined by the subsequent follow ups. .

Ursula k. Le Guin better than J.k ? That would not surprise me . .

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Found this album rumbling through a  second hand record shop the other day takes me back to being a young boy so had to buy it.

I think l still have that on 7" vinyl . Quite an inovative sound back in the day that came out around same the time as Oxygene by JMR. .

33 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

. .and about 1 year later we got this one. .

Remember that also Neil they went on to be a electronic type of jazz funk band quite big in nightclubs. Went into a bar the other night with the wife and daughter there was an amazing jazz band playing the piano player reminded me of the style played on David Bowie's Aladdin Sane track truly breathtaking stuff.