Jamie Fullarton

Talking in the pub tonight, the strange topic of Jamie Fullarton came up. I regard this individual as basic pondlife. A total non-footballer, perfect for modern coaching manuals, all "big lungs", fierce tackles (usually badly executed), and hee-haw skill on the ball. There is no point in a "ball winner" if he doesn't know what to do with the thing.

He left Saints under a dark cloud: we were skint (what's new) and could've done with the dough from potential buyers Crystal Palace. Jamie and his advisors had "other plans", and exploting mid-90s EU laws, he went to Bastia for £0. Amazingly enough he turned up at Palace 12 months later for £0.

He then turned up in Bolton, where an increasingly insane Colin Todd played him as a left winger, with the results that any Saints fan could have predicted. He was "moved on" soon afterwards (as was Todd), only to resurface (like most pondlife) at Tannadice. Last time I saw him was when Doctors had contemplated amputaing his foot after a horror injury for the Arabs. To be honest, I don't think his playing style would have been affected. Anyone know what happened next ?

PS Seeing Stuart Taylor made Hamilton Accies Asst. Manager recently made me fell very, very old. <_<

Talking in the pub tonight, the strange topic of Jamie Fullarton came up. I regard this individual as basic pondlife. A total non-footballer, perfect for modern coaching manuals, all "big lungs", fierce tackles (usually badly executed), and hee-haw skill on the ball. There is no point in a "ball winner" if he doesn't know what to do with the thing.

He left Saints under a dark cloud: we were skint (what's new) and could've done with the dough from potential buyers Crystal Palace. Jamie and his advisors had "other plans", and exploting mid-90s EU laws, he went to Bastia for £0. Amazingly enough he turned up at Palace 12 months later for £0.

He then turned up in Bolton, where an increasingly insane Colin Todd played him as a left winger, with the results that any Saints fan could have predicted. He was "moved on" soon afterwards (as was Todd), only to resurface (like most pondlife) at Tannadice. Last time I saw him was when Doctors had contemplated amputaing his foot after a horror injury for the Arabs. To be honest, I don't think his playing style would have been affected. Anyone know what happened next ?

PS Seeing Stuart Taylor made Hamilton Accies Asst. Manager recently made me fell very, very old. <_<

Did he shag your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/civil partner...!? (delete as appropriate)

:P

He was a liability as a player. You always knew you could end up with ten men when he played. A bit like Chic Charnley in that respect...

At least Chic could (occassionally) pick out a b'n'w shirt. Remember Fullarton's straight red after 10 minutes at Dumabarton in 92 ? Not even his team mates were even complaining. The following midweek at a reserve match, Big Daddy Bone was telling the lower enclosure that Jamie was a "future captain of Sants....and Sciotland". Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans...... :o

At least Chic could (occassionally) pick out a b'n'w shirt. Remember Fullarton's straight red after 10 minutes at Dumabarton in 92 ? Not even his team mates were even complaining. The following midweek at a reserve match, Big Daddy Bone was telling the lower enclosure that Jamie was a "future captain of Sants....and Sciotland". Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans...... :o

:blink:

Let's not even get into that one...

:rolleyes:

:blink:

Let's not even get into that one...

:rolleyes:

No perhaps not. Think ourselves lucky that we never played Celluc with Chic on board. :wink: Technically that fud had THREE spells at Saints. The first (early 80s) is shrouded in mystery, but I once heard that he was caught buying booze for youth players. The second saw his sacking by Hay (one of the few decisions that d*ck got right - but he paid a fortune for him a few months earlier). He was sent to Bolton Wanderers, whose erstwhile boss Phil "You're f*cking right boss" Neal sent him back to Love Street saying that he "couldn't control him". New supremo, straight outta Zambia, Big Daddy Bone, made him captain. The rest is history.....

No perhaps not. Think ourselves lucky that we never played Celluc with Chic on board. :wink: Technically that fud had THREE spells at Saints. The first (early 80s) is shrouded in mystery, but I once heard that he was caught buying booze for youth players. The second saw his sacking by Hay (one of the few decisions that d*ck got right - but he paid a fortune for him a few months earlier). He was sent to Bolton Wanderers, whose erstwhile boss Phil "You're f*cking right boss" Neal sent him back to Love Street saying that he "couldn't control him". New supremo, straight outta Zambia, Big Daddy Bone, made him captain. The rest is history.....

In the early 90s, I remember working beside a guy who was a big Pollok Juniors fan. He told a tale that, one Wednesday night, an after hours drinking session in the social club was interrupted by a worse for wear Charnley and a couple of other Thistle players celeberating the winning of the Glasgow Cup a few hours earlier. Chic was going around pissed, tears in his eyes, telling anyone who would listen that this was his greatest moment in fitbae 'cos it was his first cup winners medal.............a few hours later he was trying to give it away to anyone who buy him more booze. <_<

In the early 90s, I remember working beside a guy who was a big Pollok Juniors fan. He told a tale that, one Wednesday night, an after hours drinking session in the social club was interrupted by a worse for wear Charnley and a couple of other Thistle players celeberating the winning of the Glasgow Cup a few hours earlier. Chic was going around pissed, tears in his eyes, telling anyone who would listen that this was his greatest moment in fitbae 'cos it was his first cup winners medal.............a few hours later he was trying to give it away to anyone who buy him more booze. <_<

This is starting to turn into a thread of its own regarding James Callaghan Charnley. He was a Grade "A" fud of a person, but at times (increasingly sporadic as his career wore on) a genius of a player - the trouble was, very few of his colleagues were on the same wavelength, which saw many a raking pass fly straight out of play. Perhaps Shane MacGowan would have been his dream midfield partner. :blink:

If someone wants to start a Chic thread then go for it. I know many funny tales, but probably just as many very unfunny distasteful stories as well, which will probably shatter a few illusions of the "entertainer" known as Chico. :ph34r:

I thought Fullarton was a decent player for the Buds. Unfortunately the way he departed means he is now reviled by many Saints fans. Rumours at the time laid the blame for the situation at the feet of his agent, who I believe was Raymond Sparkes. Sparkes tried a similar strategy with Martin Baker the next year. Baker though had a bit of backbone and wanted to stay in Scotland therefore the Buds were able to secure some much needed cash when he joined Killie.

No gripes against Fullarton doing what he thought was best for himself - don't see much difference between him and Broadfoot in that respect and I don't recall any posts saying KB is pondlife.

As for Charnley, IMO the biggest waste of money we've ever had at Love St. (nowhwere near as good as he thought he was). That winner's medal story is significant, he was a Division 1 player maybe good enough for the bottom half of the Premier League - he was never part of a team that won the First Division but was a regular in FOUR teams relegated from the top flight Clydebank, Hamilton, Saints and Hibs.

Edited by Bud the Baker

In terms of ability Charnley was streets ahead of Fullarton who couldn't even pass it 3 yards. He could shout at people and kick opponents and that was about it.

Charnley may well have thought he was better than he was but Fullarton must have because he was rank. I wasn't sad to see him go but I know what the original poster is saying about him only being interested in himself.

To compare that situation with Broadfoot is ridiculous. Big Kirk was a great player for Saints over several seasons and put his heart and soul into helping keep us up last season. Fullarton came though our youth system and walked at the first opportunity without any regard for the club whatsoever. Yes it was his right to do that but it shows you how little he cared. I'm glad he never amounted to anything.

No gripes against Fullarton doing what he thought was best for himself - don't see much difference between him and Broadfoot in that respect and I don't recall any posts saying KB is pondlife.

Did we not get cash for Kirk ? , more than we ever got for that fud Fullarton

As for Charnley, IMO the biggest waste of money we've ever had at Love St. (nowhwere near as good as he thought he was). That winner's medal story is significant, he was a Division 1 player maybe good enough for the bottom half of the Premier League - he was never part of a team that won the First Division but was a regular in FOUR teams relegated from the top flight Clydebank, Hamilton, Saints and Hibs.

THIS I agree with

Charnley - moments of magic (all too few) - piles of self centrred dross (I'm too good for everyone else here so he thought)

Fullarton We all thought he was a Scotland player in the making at the time - and changed our minds when he left under a cloud - not because he was a better or worse player!!

He was not as good as we thought at the time - and certainly not as bad as the posts on here say (sour grapes methinks!!)

A decent prospect while with us who didn't quite progress ( like hundreds of others before and since!)

Let's get things into perspective!!!

Edited by Danny

The main reason that Jamie got up ma hooter was that EVERYONE knew that a) we were in deep financial sh*te, and B) there was a crop of young kids ripe for sale (Barry, Bakesy, Fullarton - mystifyingly). ultimately, I can understand the motives for moving on, but Fullarton showed zero appreciation for SMFC giving him the opportunity in the first place. Thank feck that Basher & Bakesy had better advisors. I got a wee bit of revenge.....

A Bolton Wanderers away game at Watford in 99 saw a burly Buddie, slightly the worse for wear, accosting Fullarton as he warmed up. I cannae remember the excat details, but words like "stitched. saints. up. money. grabbing. shitehawk" escaped from my gub. He did look a wee bit surprised - probably not the venue he expected such bile.

Anyway, noone has filled us in yet with what happened post-horror injury at Tannadice. God forbid he is an SFA community coach - great skills to be passed on there. :o

THIS I agree with

Charnley - moments of magic (all too few) - piles of self centrred dross (I'm too good for everyone else here so he thought)

Fullarton We all thought he was a Scotland player in the making at the time - and changed our minds when he left under a cloud - not because he was a better or worse player!!

He was not as good as we thought at the time - and certainly not as bad as the posts on here say (sour grapes methinks!!)

A decent prospect while with us who didn't quite progress ( like hundreds of others before and since!)

Let's get things into perspective!!!

I can assure you it wasn't all of us. I think Scotland midfielders should be able to pass the ball. Having seen Billy Abercrombie at the same age I was in no doubt that Fullarton wasn't in the same league.

Edited by bingboy

Fullarton was a regular in the Scotland U-21 side from when he broke into the Saints first team in 92/93 until he became too old and also played for Crystal Palace in the English Premiership so he certainly wasn't as bad as some posters are making out. As has been mentioned he came through Saints youth system so he probably wasn't on a great wage unlike someone like David Elliott who was hanging on from when we were in the Premier League because no-one would match what we were paying. IIRC correctly Fullarton was the first (but not the last) Saints player to move to another country and deny us a transfer fee and I reckon it is this which sours his memory for many fans.

What we have to realize is that very few of the players feel the same way about the club as we do and not let any bitterness about the manner of a players departure cloud our judgement of his abilities as a player.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Fullarton was a regular in the Scotland U-21 side from when he broke into the Saints first team in 92/93 until he became too old and also played for Crystal Palace in the English Premiership so he certainly wasn't as bad as some posters are making out. As has been mentioned he came through Saints youth system so he probably wasn't on a great wage unlike someone like David Elliott who was hanging on from when we were in the Premier League because no-one would match what we were paying. IIRC correctly Fullarton was the first (but not the last) Saints player to move to another country and deny us a transfer fee and I reckon it is this which sours his memory for many fans.

What we have to realize is that very few of the players feel the same way about the club as we do and not let any bitterness about the manner of a players departure cloud our judgement of his abilities as a player.

Agree with what you write about some Saints fans. They seem to think because players play for us they are a bud through and through. Utter nonsense. Anyone offered a better job with more money than they a currently earning are going to move job. It's got nothing to do with loyalty and everything to do with taken care of yourself. If you can't see that then you have a lot of learning to do with life.

As for Jamie Fullarton he was a good player in his St Mirren days. That's a fact.

Agree with what you write about some Saints fans. They seem to think because players play for us they are a bud through and through. Utter nonsense. Anyone offered a better job with more money than they a currently earning are going to move job. It's got nothing to do with loyalty and everything to do with taken care of yourself. If you can't see that then you have a lot of learning to do with life.

As for Jamie Fullarton he was a good player in his St Mirren days. That's a fact.

How can it be a fact? It is surely a matter of opinion. On what evidence does it become factual?

I didn't rate Fullarton before he left. The manner in which he left didn't please me but it made no difference to my judgement of him as a player.

I am not naive enough to think that anything but a tiny minority of Saints players are fans of the club and I've already said he was within his rights to do what he did. But it still showed no regard for the club which after all had spent money on his development as a player, despite being in severe financial difficulties. Now that is a fact.

100% correct with the first paragraph. Ian Ferguson is a classic example: team he supports come in for him, with huge wage increase - what would you do ? The fact that he had just signed a 4 year deal only helped get Saints more £ out of Castle Greyskull (around £900,000 if I remember rightly), so he shouldn't get grief for that. He also scored a last minute Love St. end equaliser against the vermin whilst in the middle of the whole saga. What he did deserve abuse for was (amongst others), blatantly not celebrating the above goal, and a disgusting performance at Ibrox in what might have been his last Saints game. At full-time, he applauded the Copland Road end, and ignored the Saints travelling. :ph34r: Anyone seen the end of the credits on the 87 Cup Final DVD... <_<

As for Fullarton, we are all entitled to our opinions. That's a fact.

How can it be a fact? It is surely a matter of opinion. On what evidence does it become factual?

I didn't rate Fullarton before he left. The manner in which he left didn't please me but it made no difference to my judgement of him as a player.

I am not naive enough to think that anything but a tiny minority of Saints players are fans of the club and I've already said he was within his rights to do what he did. But it still showed no regard for the club which after all had spent money on his development as a player, despite being in severe financial difficulties. Now that is a fact.

If he was as poor a player as you and Big Fras suggest then he wouldn't have fetched much money anyway, the fact you (still) hold the manner of his departure against him tends to suggest you know this.

As for his moving to Bastia (presumably the best deal on offer) being a sign of his showing no regard for the club - I don't think so.

Edited by Bud the Baker

If he was as poor a player as you and Big Fras suggest then he wouldn't have fetched much money anyway, the fact you (still) hold the manner of his departure against him tends to suggest you know this.

As for his moving to Bastia (presumably the best deal on offer) being a sign of his showing no regard for the club - I don't think so.

So you don't think there was anything suspicious in the fact that Crystal Palace wanted him but would have had to pay a fee, he was able to move to Bastia for free and then on to Palace 12 months later for free? How many other young Scots have Bastia ever signed?

Maybe showing no regard isn't strong enough - shafting would be putting it better.

I don't think he was worth much but clearly others did.