Town Crazies

Guest saint hits the net

did Cuthbert not get knocked down and killed by an ice cream van?

Cuthbert used to do a round trip one day every week!Cunninghams bus, County Sq-Izzi factory,Renfrew.Renfrew- Inchinnan on Western bus.Off bus at Red Smiddy and walked over Barnsford Bridge,past Airport and Racecourse!It was on one of these days out that he met his maker!

Edited by billyg

You also neglected to inform that he used to hit himself on the head with his walking stick.

my dad has confirmed that he did indeed hit himself on the head with his stick.

He also said this guy used to be followed by groups of young children chanting "cuthbert,cuthbert,cuthbert" and continued this until they got a reaction.

He also said there was a tramp by the name of 'salomey' who had a santa beard. Apparently he was really scary and was not to be approached.

This is indeed true. He also had a sort of sunken face (think of an older Alice Beer that hasnae shaved for a few days) caused by having wallies, but rarely having his set in. Kids did chant "Cuthbert, Cuthbert" at the poor old fecker. I never joined in, not being a cruel sort of laddie.

Never heard of this "Salomey" character, though.

my dad has confirmed that he did indeed hit himself on the head with his stick.

Why'd your dad do that then :unsure:

The Santa at Santa Claus Land in Avimore was also a very scary character - he was sacked in the - don't remember the details :huh:

Guest saint hits the net
I always said he'd come to a sticky end .........

What made it worse was the van going too fast - having failed to see the cones in the road...

You used to complain about puns - are you turning into a Mister Softee ?

• 14 years later...
On 2/5/2003 at 8:51 AM, billyg said:

Cuthbert used to do a round trip one day every week!Cunninghams bus, County Sq-Izzi factory,Renfrew.Renfrew- Inchinnan on Western bus.Off bus at Red Smiddy and walked over Barnsford Bridge,past Airport and Racecourse!It was on one of these days out that he met his maker!

on every trip he met his ice-cream maker

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2003 at 2:04 PM, ST SID said:

Forgotten the name of the old guy - but when I was at school he used to walk up and down Beith Road in Johnstone scratching the back of his head the hard way. Probably a genuine neuron disorder but both alarming and amusing at the time.

It seems that there are now less of these characters in spite of the care in the community propoganda.

I was once doing a job at Merchiston Hospital amd the nurse locked us in the observatio room where they play the music and watch the poor souls go about their business. Honest to f'k, there were a couple of window biters over the minute the nurses back was turned. Fastest bit of floor laying you've ever seen. The nurses and assistants that work there deserve all the money they get. It was a real eye opener and did the digestive system some good too :blink:

I heard from guys at the engineering training centre that his was indeed an illness.  There is a condition called syringomyellia which causes increased pressure of the fluid in the spianl cord and it affests dogs as well as humans.  it makes the sufferer feel that they have something compressing the neck and the base of the brain and is horrific in the later stages.

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2003 at 1:33 PM, Bill Lees said:

Then there was Big Ian, the 35 stone newsvendor who used to sell outside Burton's at the Cross. Not strictly a crazy, but I always got the impression he wasn't exactly playing with a full deck.

Big Ian in this picture................

C1725AB1-667C-4653-B013-5E1599038617.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...