Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Rumours from both sides Hibs set to re-ignite interest in Stephen McGinn, I suppose if they sell John its a no-brainer?

edit: both sides being Hibs fans and players.

And to think that Drew didn't want us to sign Stephen McGinn because he didn't know where he would fit in....  :lol:

56 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

And to think that Drew didn't want us to sign Stephen McGinn because he didn't know where he would fit in....  :lol:

In fairness to Drew, he admitted his mistake pretty quickly...........novel idea I know!!

1 hour ago, mcdowell76 said:

We've been here with this one before, Andy. It didn't end well for you then, and I'm not confident that it will be any better this time.

If you're going to make stuff up, trying at least to make new stuff up.

And again....

On 01/26/2017 at 8:07 AM, Drew said:

Happy with this signing. Experience and composure in midfield is critically important.

On 01/27/2017 at 5:08 PM, Drew said:

I 'm very happy with the signing of McGinn. Welcome back to the best club in the world, Stephen.

Now, Andy, will you go away and play in the traffic or something <_<

From a BBC interview with JR today;

The manager and his staff took Sunday off but were straight back to work on Monday to begin the process of building a side to mount a promotion challenge next season.

Ross expects interest in midfielder Stevie Mallan to "firm up" and acknowledges that he may also lose Lewis Morgan, whose performances have generated interested other clubs, but he does not expect to make wholesale changes.

"Naturally, I would like to keep the bulk of the squad together, and I will have to add two or three," Ross said.

"I've always known there was a chance I would lose [Mallan]. I'd prefer not to, for obvious reasons because he's a big asset. But because of the relationship I have with him, he knows I want him to progress.

"That will be a decision for Stevie himself, if there is firm interest, and the earlier that's done, if it is, the more it helps me. I'm realistic to know [losing players] might be the case and then it's about finding good replacements.

"It very much depends on who leaves, but we don't need to add an awful lot if we keep the bulk of the squad together. For next season, the aim has to be to be promoted. I like to have aims, and I like the players to have that, and I probably started to think about that as soon as the game finished on Saturday. That's my job, top try to push this club as far as I can.

"Not just since Saturday but prior to that, the form we were in and the way we were playing, you start to get more players coming to you and saying they want to play for St Mirren. I don't think we have to persuade people to be interested in coming here, they recognise the potential of the club."

------------------------------------------

It's a natural progression and a harsh fact of footballing life for guys like Mallan and Morgan to move on at some point. However, I've highlighted that last paragraph because that is a superb situation to be in when it comes to recruitment.

7 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Only being a Saints fan, can you go from Ground Zero to the stratosphere in 3 months!!

Who honestly thought we would feel so great about next season

I nominate TCs Sack Jack Ross Thread for Topic of the Season......

I nominate TC for something of the season . 

2 hours ago, Edinbuddie said:

From a BBC interview with JR today;

The manager and his staff took Sunday off but were straight back to work on Monday ................................ I don't think we have to persuade people to be interested in coming here, they recognise the potential of the club."

------------------------------------------

I

Irrespective of the job he's done for us isn't it nice to read intelligent, insightful comments about our club and the future strategy rather than the meaningless drivel that many players and managers come out with?  I get more and more impressed with JR as the days pass and I do believe he has a big future in the game, with us hopefully and at a higher level.  I'm glad that today's report on the Hearts management meeting with the fans that Austim McPhee won them over when Cathro clearly failed to. Hopefully he's a ready made replacement for Cathro whose jaiket is definitely on a shaky nail and they don't see JR as a pontential replacement.

2 hours ago, Paisley brazilians said:

Turned over to sky sports news last night to check the scores.loads of clubs released player's flashing up constantly. Plenty of quality players out of contract..

There was a Clyde player arrested for that a few seasons ago IIRC. More widespread than previously thought then.  Puts gambling in the shade really.

10 minutes ago, melmac said:

I suspect Mallan will be away during the summer, Newton would be a great replacement and a perfect foyle for McGinn.

I think both Mallan and Morgan will be away, from what I'm hearing. Hopefully we get good deals, and reinvest a bit in securing replacements.