Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 hour ago, mcdowell76 said:

As I mentioned, Loy was playing for a side on the up and Hardie was playing for a side in free fall. In effect, Loy was playing for a top 3 side and Hardie was playing for a side marooned at the bottom.

Therefore I think the description of "far more successful", in terms of the goalscoring comparison, is a tad over the top.

The previous season Hardie scored 6 in 10 league games with Raith. Better than Loy managed with St. Mirren.

My point here being that I think folk are being a tad hard on Hardie.

If Loy had been with us in the first half and Hardie in the second half, I reckon we'd all be talking about how shite Loy was and how great Hardie was.

The shite manager and shite team mates that Hardie had in the first half of the season maybe hindered him?

Hehe.

Hard on.

As I mentioned, Loy was playing for a side on the up and Hardie was playing for a side in free fall. In effect, Loy was playing for a top 3 side and Hardie was playing for a side marooned at the bottom.
Therefore I think the description of "far more successful", in terms of the goalscoring comparison, is a tad over the top.
The previous season Hardie scored 6 in 10 league games with Raith. Better than Loy managed with St. Mirren.
If Loy had been with us in the first half and Hardie in the second half, I reckon we'd all be talking about how shite Loy was and how great Hardie was.
The shite manager and shite team mates that Hardie had in the first half of the season maybe hindered him?

Agree Hardie a good bit better than the opinion many on here have of him.

Agree Hardie a good bit better than the opinion many on here have of him.

There is definitely a good player in there somewhere. However, he couldn't hold down a starting place in two very poor teams. For me that says more about his attitude than his ability.

Loy's contribution wasn't just goals though, he got a few assists and was involved in almost all our positive forward play. He was a vital part of a hard working front line. He and Smith together pressed defenders, stopped teams playing out from the back and won the ball high up the park. Hardie didn't have the concentration or work rate to do that. 

4 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

Loy's contribution wasn't just goals though, he got a few assists and was involved in almost all our positive forward play. He was a vital part of a hard working front line. He and Smith together pressed defenders, stopped teams playing out from the back and won the ball high up the park. Hardie didn't have the concentration or work rate to do that. 

Agreed.

When he got his fitness level back up he was tireless, and contributed in attack and defence. As you say, numerous assists, imcluding teeing up Stevie Mallan for THAT goal.

16 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

JR says we're bringing in between two and four more players, depending on whether Flanagan and Whyte are loaned out or not. 

I'm guessing that Flanagan won't get loaned out if Morgan goes (please, don't let that happen!).

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm guessing that Flanagan won't get loaned out if Morgan goes (please, don't let that happen!).

Yeah, good point: Jack says he's waiting to see how NF and DW get on - ie assessing their performances - but maybe it has more to do with transfer activity.

That said, Jack talks about having a squad of 20, and we're on 18 with the two young lads, so if Morgan goes, perhaps we'd need three-five new players.

Edited by Magic Monkey

24 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Fyvie looking for a new club after Hibs withdrew contract offer ,could be a good signing if in our price range.

Not for me. Plenty of potential a few years ago but very pedestrian and a bit of a shitebag. He's not better than either McGinn or Magennis and would be an expensive back up. We need cover for holding mid but I don't think Fyvie would fit the mould. 

15 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

3 of those in one game versus us. 

5 hours ago, FTOF said:

There is definitely a good player in there somewhere. However, he couldn't hold down a starting place in two very poor teams. For me that says more about his attitude than his ability.

Maybe

But, back in the day, Rory Loy was once a Rangers youngster who couldn't hold down a starting place for either Dunfermline or St. Mirren....

Edited by mcdowell76

5 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

Maybe

But, back in the day, Rory Loy was once a Rangers youngster who couldn't hold down a starting place for either Dunfermline or St. Mirren....

It's a bit unfair saying he couldn't "hold down" a starting place for us. He got no real game time. IIRC, he managed one, possibly two sub appearances. Admittedly the first one he was only on for a few minutes and the crowd were less than impressed.

2 hours ago, stlucifer said:

It's a bit unfair saying he couldn't "hold down" a starting place for us. He got no real game time. IIRC, he managed one, possibly two sub appearances. Admittedly the first one he was only on for a few minutes and the crowd were less than impressed.

You say in your first statement that its a bit unfair that he couldn't hold down a starting place and then in your second sentence goon to confirm that he couldn't hold down a starting place!

He was on loan at Dunfermline before us as well and couldn't get a regular game. He then went down to Carlisle and failed to make the grade there.

He's so far scored 21 goals in 63 appearances, many of them as a sub. He's still only 20.

Just like Rory Loy, I think its a bit too early to write him off.

Indeed, many on this forum were slagging off Stevie Mallan at the half way stage this season. IIRC, Top Cat was his Mallan's main champion and he got a lot of abuse for that....

26 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Indeed, many on this forum were slagging off Stevie Mallan at the half way stage this season. IIRC, Top Cat was his Mallan's main champion and he got a lot of abuse for that....

And rightly so.

By Mallan's own admission he was playing well below his own high standards.

Happily he knuckled down, received better management, and got his reward.

Anyway, away and dangle your hook on another thread.:booty

2 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

You say in your first statement that its a bit unfair that he couldn't hold down a starting place and then in your second sentence goon to confirm that he couldn't hold down a starting place!

He was on loan at Dunfermline before us as well and couldn't get a regular game. He then went down to Carlisle and failed to make the grade there.

He's so far scored 21 goals in 63 appearances, many of them as a sub. He's still only 20.

Just like Rory Loy, I think its a bit too early to write him off.

Nope. I said he didn't get a place to hold down. He was never given a decent chance to prove he was worth a place to try to hold down. Not his fault. The then manager was prone to this sort of action.

Scored a decent amount of goals despite not holding down a place. I've never met the boy, therefore it'd be completely unfair of me to question his attitude.