Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

5 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Still thought Sutton offered something , and gave us options over the course of the game , wonder if it would be worth using him as s strikers coach

His performance at Ayr was one of the key factors in kick starting our revival.

I think the issue is as much to do with JR's preferred style of playing as to any want on John's part. So it goes.

He will still be an asset in certain games.

Edited by Drew

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

His performance at Ayr was one of the key factors in kick starting our revival.

I think the issue is as much to do with JR's preferred style of playing as to any want on John's part. So it goes.

He will still be an asset in certain games.

Absolutely this. John Sutton was superb against Ayr as he is in most huge games for us. Definitely still a top player for us. Glad to have him.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:40 PM, FTOF said:

And rightly so.

By Mallan's own admission he was playing well below his own high standards.

Happily he knuckled down, received better management, and got his reward.

But that was exactly my point....

Maybe Hardie would have done the same under Jack Ross?

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:23 PM, stlucifer said:

Nope. I said he didn't get a place to hold down. He was never given a decent chance to prove he was worth a place to try to hold down. Not his fault. The then manager was prone to this sort of action.

Not getting a place to hold down and not being able to hold down a place....  its the same thing!

How do you know it wasn't his fault that he didn't get a place to hold down?

He didn't get a place to hold down at Dunfermline the season before in a lower division, he failed to set heather on fire at Carlisle and Dundee offloaded him last season.

With regards to your last sentence, can you provide an example? Which players did the then manager not give a chance to who then subsequently proved him wrong? Someone who did a Mooy? Not sure I can think of anyone! He signed Graham Carey at the same time and he played and scored goals in that run in.

I don't know what's going on with loy.If he's leaving Dundee or not, but if he is leaving and jack has spoke to him and his immediate reaction is not sign with st Mirren then its time to look elsewhere. There is an abundance of talented players out their just like Rory on the fringes waiting on game time to show what they have.

37 minutes ago, Paisley brazilians said:

There is an abundance of talented players out their just like Rory on the fringes waiting on game time to show what they have.

Can you name any obvious (and realistic) options, though?

You probably can, but they won't have played during one of the best spells of football we've witnessed at the club in many a season. They won't already know most of their team mates and the management team. They won't have already formed a very good understanding with the players around them, and a bond with the supporters.

I'm not talking Loy up to the status of a minor deity, by the way. The circumstances and context of signing him would perhaps be as key as his calibre, is my point.

I hope (and believe) that every effort is being made to bring him back. If he opts to go elsewhere, so be it, but we aren't in a huge rush just yet. Then we can start casting the net and will no doubt bring in someone decent.

19 hours ago, Drew said:

Can you name any obvious (and realistic) options, though?

You probably can, but they won't have played during one of the best spells of football we've witnessed at the club in many a season. They won't already know most of their team mates and the management team. They won't have already formed a very good understanding with the players around them, and a bond with the supporters.

I'm not talking Loy up to the status of a minor deity, by the way. The circumstances and context of signing him would perhaps be as key as his calibre, is my point.

I hope (and believe) that every effort is being made to bring him back. If he opts to go elsewhere, so be it, but we aren't in a huge rush just yet. Then we can start casting the net and will no doubt bring in someone decent.

No one was saying lot wasn't a good player who wouldn't slot into a team he knows well.all I was saying was if jack had spoke to him with intentions of signing him and he was stalling then not to waste time chasing shadows and go get another player who would want to prove themselve.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't expect to see Loy available until August by which time McCann will have had a chance to see how he fits in with Dundee's new squad.

If he's available and within our budget I'd love to see Loy back, if not so long and thanks!

Reckon he'll be released shortly, if not already.

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

Reckon he'll be released shortly, if not already.

I know a lot of the gossip is pointing that way but why get rid of a guy before a competitive game has been played unless he's causing a stink in the dressing room which in Loy's case would seem unlikely.

No doubt he'll sign with a Championship club shortly - it's a funny old game! :wacko: 

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

I know a lot of the gossip is pointing that way but why get rid of a guy before a competitive game has been played unless he's causing a stink in the dressing room which in Loy's case would seem unlikely.

To free up a slot on the wage bill?

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

To free up a slot on the wage bill?

Yeah but the gossip is it's us or Falkirk who are in for him - neither of whom will be in a position to pay the £1700 p.w. Loy is reputed to be on so Dundee will probably have to release two players in order to sign one.

Spoiler

Normal rules may not apply to Dundee if they're en route to Admin3.

Edited by Bud the Baker