Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Certainly can't see if being this Froxylias lad, given that he's primarily a Left Mid who can play either flank and is not really a centre forward at all.

We could use a genuine right winger to allow Morgan to play on the left imo

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Darryl Duffy (33), training with us apparently.:mellow:

Has been training with Ayr and ICT previously.

Also, JR in the PDE stating that "squad-wise we are still not going to have anyone else available this weekend".

I can remember Duffy when he was at Falkirk and looked a decent striker a few years ago. He's 33 now and certainly fits the criteria for an experienced front man. 

No idea at what level he's been most recently plying his trade but worth having a look at maybe a short term deal similar to Hilson.

A quick wiki check has him recently playing in India, and his stats show that his goal scoring record is very decent given the number of appearances.

Edited by class of 76-77

1 minute ago, class of 76-77 said:

I can remember Duffy when he was at Falkirk and looked a decent striker a few years ago. He's 33 now and certainly fits the criteria for an experienced front man. 

No idea at what level he's been most recently plying his trade but worth having a look at maybe a short term deal similar to Hilson.

Not for me. If this is the type of player we're looking at , I'd rather we would be going for someone like Billy Mehmet .

Duffy would be a very underwhelming signing.

John Sutton is a much better striker, don't see any point in bringing someone in unless they are clearly better than Sutton.

What on earth has happened to all the money from McGinn, McLean, Naismith, Mallan and McAllister?  We didn't get market value but it still adds up to a good 650k or so.  Surely we should be able to afford the couple of quality players we so dearly lack?  We should be competing with Dundee United and Falkirk for signings, not scrabbling about with Dumbarton and Queen of the South.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Certainly can't see if being this Froxylias lad, given that he's primarily a Left Mid who can play either flank and is not really a centre forward at all.

A signing to delight many on here who are already fond of a Foxy Alias.

23 hours ago, Kemp said:

Duffy would be a very underwhelming signing.

John Sutton is a much better striker, don't see any point in bringing someone in unless they are clearly better than Sutton.

What on earth has happened to all the money from McGinn, McLean, Naismith, Mallan and McAllister?  We didn't get market value but it still adds up to a good 650k or so.  Surely we should be able to afford the couple of quality players we so dearly lack?  We should be competing with Dundee United and Falkirk for signings, not scrabbling about with Dumbarton and Queen of the South.

A reasonable question.

Let's speculate. It is the speculation thread after all.:D

Extensive repairs to the training ground.

Deals for Eckersley, McKenzie, Smith, Samson, McGinn, Stelios, Davis and McShane. I doubt that these 8 will be on peanuts.

Add on Quinn, Sutton and Irvine, who we've been saddled with due to prior contract agreements. Again , they'll be on substantial money, no doubt.

Deals for our other signings, plus, as has been speculated, a couple may have required small fees for in contract players.

Also suggestions that the old board are entitled to a wedge of any transfer money as part of their pay off.

Money to make for loss of JD deal. Although that may well have been offset to some degree by our new sponsorship deal.

Employing Langfield, Webster and Clarkson as non-playing coaches/staff.

Employing sports scientist and data analyst.

Certainly some of these costs won't be huge, but they all mount up. However, increased season ticket sales could have boosted our coffers.

I'm sure that there are other costs that I've omitted and since the majority of us have absolutely no idea what the day to day running costs of the club are, some of these costs could be fairly substantial.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not making excuses, I'm simply making suggestions.

I'd also like to add that we are competing with Falkirk, for signings, but we lost out on Loy, due to a business consortium paying his wages and a fee to Dundee. Falkirk, can't afford to sign anyone else of note either, unless they offload Sibbald.

There's no way we should be competing with Dundee United. But that's another argument.

Edited by FTOF

People do know that our budget isn't aimed at spending every penny the club has at all times don't they? We may have money in the coffers - who knows? We shouldn't be blowing it all before the end of July on players when there is every possibility that we will need a contingency fund to cover possible injuries in the coming months. We also presumably, as a club, don't want to have big earners who are not in the manager's plans, so offloading them before committing to any more ongoing expense is the right way to do things.

Chill out everyone, please.

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

Darryl Duffy (33), training with us apparently.:mellow:

Has been training with Ayr and ICT previously.

Also, JR in the PDE stating that "squad-wise we are still not going to have anyone else available this weekend".

THIS DARRYL DUFFY?

Darryl Duffy
Scottish footballer
Darryl Alexander Duffy is a Scottish footballer who currently plays as a striker for Indian club Mohun Bagan AC. He began playing professionally in 2003 and has played for several teams. Wikipedia

Born: 16 April 1984 (age 33), Linwood, Renfrewshire
Height: 1.8 m
Weight: 76 kg
Profiles
Personal information
Full name Darryl Alexander Duffy[1]
Date of birth 16 April 1984 (age 33)
Place of birth Linwood, Scotland
Height 5 ft 11 in (180 cm)
Playing position Striker
Club information
Current team
Mohun Bagan
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2003–2004 Rangers 1 (0)
2004  Brechin City (loan) 8 (4)
2004–2006 Falkirk 57 (34)
2006–2007 Hull City 24 (3)
2006  Hartlepool United (loan) 10 (5)
2007  Swansea City (loan) 8 (5)
2007–2008 Swansea City 20 (1)
2008–2011 Bristol Rovers 76 (17)
2010  Carlisle United (loan) 8 (1)
2010–2011  Hibernian (loan) 7 (0)
2011–2013 Cheltenham Town 65 (18)
2013–2016 Salgaocar 49 (32)
2015  Goa (loan) 4 (0)
2016– Mohun Bagan 17 (8)
National team
2005 Scotland U21 8 (4)
2005–2006 Scotland B 2 (0)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 08:51, 10 May 2017 (UTC).

15 minutes ago, Eaglesham saint said:

What's this rumour that John Sutton played for The Fakes last night ,sounds a bit weird 

Seems legit. Dunfy and Fakes fans talking about it in different threads on p&b , he scored twice .

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think it's a piss take to be be honest. St. Johnstone fans are slevvering over what ex-players they could re-sign and someone mentioned Sutton.

Dunfermline fans talked about it first on separate thread !

Just now, billyg said:

Dunfermline fans talked about it first on separate thread !

I hadn't seen that.

The guy who is reporting that it was Sutton in the Dunfermline thread has got it as second hand information though. In light of this, it could well be the case but I just find it a bit odd that he'd get a step back up to St. Johnstone after they let him go for nothing a year ago unless we have released him and not announced it yet and they're offering him facilities.