Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Letting Sutton go without having secured another striker with a bit of pedigree would be madness.

Either it is a case of mistaken identity, an odd arrangement that let Sutton play as some forms of 'trial', or we have another striker signed up and he has been released.

Whatever the case, its a bit bizarre.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Letting Sutton go without having secured another striker with a bit of pedigree would be madness.

Either it is a case of mistaken identity, an odd arrangement that let Sutton play as some forms of 'trial', or we have another striker signed up and he has been released.

Whatever the case, its a bit bizarre.

Can't for the life of me seei the fakes taking John back. 

14 hours ago, FTOF said:

A reasonable question.

Let's speculate. It is the speculation thread after all.:D

Extensive repairs to the training ground.

Deals for Eckersley, McKenzie, Smith, Samson, McGinn, Stelios, Davis and McShane. I doubt that these 8 will be on peanuts.

Add on Quinn, Sutton and Irvine, who we've been saddled with due to prior contract agreements. Again , they'll be on substantial money, no doubt.

Deals for our other signings, plus, as has been speculated, a couple may have required small fees for in contract players.

Money to make for loss of JD deal. Although that may well have been offset to some degree by our new sponsorship deal.

Employing Langfield, Webster and Clarkson as non-playing coaches/staff.

Employing sports scientist and data analyst.

Certainly some of these costs won't be huge, but they all mount up. However, increased season ticket sales could have boosted our coffers.

I'm sure that there are other costs that I've omitted and since the majority of us have absolutely no idea what the day to day running costs of the club are, some of these costs could be fairly substantial.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not making excuses, I'm simply making suggestions.

I'd also like to add that we are competing with Falkirk, for signings, but we lost out on Loy, due to a business consortium paying his wages and a fee to Dundee. Falkirk, can't afford to sign anyone else of note either, unless they offload Sibbald.

There's no way we should be competing with Dundee United. But that's another argument.

I thought the old board were entitled to a wedge of any transfer money as part of their pay off. .

20 hours ago, Soctty said:

People do know that our budget isn't aimed at spending every penny the club has at all times don't they? We may have money in the coffers - who knows? We shouldn't be blowing it all before the end of July on players when there is every possibility that we will need a contingency fund to cover possible injuries in the coming months. We also presumably, as a club, don't want to have big earners who are not in the manager's plans, so offloading them before committing to any more ongoing expense is the right way to do things.

Chill out everyone, please.

This makes sense to me.

There's no way we should be competing with Dundee United. But that's another argument.

Agreed. Not only are they a bigger club (that's right, I said it) but they've just raked in between £800k-£1m for Robertson so they're in the position to offer the likes of McDonald money we simply wouldn't pay.

Utd haven't really cut their cloth accordingly since dropping down and are gambling everything on a return this season. If they don't make it up they are truly f**ked and will likely be heading for administration.

Is this the sort of competing that some people are advocating?

11 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Agreed. Not only are they a bigger club (that's right, I said it) but they've just raked in between £800k-£1m for Robertson so they're in the position to offer the likes of McDonald money we simply wouldn't pay.

Utd haven't really cut their cloth accordingly since dropping down and are gambling everything on a return this season. If they don't make it up they are truly f**ked and will likely be heading for administration.

Indeed. Some on this forum seem to think that there really is a money tree.

2 hours ago, DLBud said:

TBF that was said of them last season .I think there will always be a team in this Championship that has deeper pockets than us , so it will be a matter of being able to out play such teams with the squad that we have . Despite the plastic whistle result , I don't think there is a huge difference in abilty amoungst teams in the Championship v's the the teams in the Premiership that are outside the 4 big teams in Scotland .

Edited by saintnextlifetime
edited by Tom for grammar and constitutional errors

United should be the favourites to win this division now that they don't have Hibs to contend with. That's not to say they'll win it, but they are certainly my shout.

I would hope that we are aspiring to win the league, but reckon a play-off spot is more realistic just now. Even then, it will be very tough. I've suggested elsewhere that my hunch is that we won't manage it this season. It's just a hunch, right enough. I can't see us getting off to a bright start. Too many tough games in the early portion of the season (aren't they all, right enough), and, as things stand, the squad doesn't look strong enough to sustain a good run of form.

As ever, hope springs eternal, but I don't feel too confident the way things are shaping up just now.

Edited by Drew

If Jack can get the team playing the way we played out the end of last season , then we would be in contention for the title I would think , however if we don't play like that it will certainly be a bit of a slog. .

The problem with that is the squad is clearly far worse than the one that finished last season.

If he can get players as good as Mallan and Loy in between now and the end of August we'll do okay.

1 hour ago, DLBud said:

Rangers are an example of a team who outspent their league rivals and fell at the final hurdle to hearts and hibs and then again to an SPL team in Motherwell who they also outspent.

Money is not everything in football. If your good enough it doesn't matter of your spending power. Early pre-season signs suggest though that there is a lot of work ahead, though I do not fear the likes of Inverness, Morton QOTS or the rest of the teams you would expect to be in a horse race with for a playoff spot.

For me, it'll take 3 influential signings (ie - as good as guaranteed first picks) if we are to mount a sustained challenge.

Not at all out of the question, but a bit of work needs to be done in the coming 3 - 4 weeks.

1 minute ago, kevo_smfc said:

Rangers are an example of a team who outspent their league rivals and fell at the final hurdle to hearts and hibs and then again to an SPL team in Motherwell who they also outspent.

Money is not everything in football. If your good enough it doesn't matter of your spending power. Early pre-season signs suggest though that there is a lot of work ahead, though I do not fear the likes of Inverness, Morton QOTS or the rest of the teams you would expect to be in a horse race with for a playoff spot.

That all sounds very rational to me . .

There are plenty of examples in recent times and even in our past that prove money wont necessarily buy a team out of trouble or get it a title .As we saw in the later half of last season it is far more to do with the spirit of play and how they overcome what ever challenges the game is presenting. .

5 minutes ago, TopCat said:

If he can get players as good as Mallan and Loy in between now and the end of August we'll do okay.

We'll need to wait for Magennis to get fit for Mallan's replacement, but hopefully we'll get a decent striker in before the Falkirk game.

TBF that was said of them last season .I think there will always be a team in this Championship that has deeper pockets than us , so it will be a matter of being able to out play such teams with the squad that we have . Despite the plastic whistle result , I don't think there is a huge difference in abilty amoungst teams in the Championship v's the the teams in the Premiership that are outside the 4 big teams in Scotland .

I agree with the idea we'll always face someone with bigger pockets, however, over the season the team with the best players almost always wins.

In terms of Championship v Premiership, in one off cup ties there may be an argument but IMO all of the lower league squads, including Utd, would struggle badly in the Premiership.

The problem with that is the squad is clearly far worse than the one that finished last season.

Agreed on he squad quality. Replacing Loy should not be an insurmountable task but Mallan, and the impact he made, cannot be replaced on our budget.

4 minutes ago, DLBud said:

I agree with the idea we'll always face someone with bigger pockets, however, over the season the team with the best players almost always wins.

In terms of Championship v Premiership, in one off cup ties there may be an argument but IMO all of the lower league squads, including Utd, would struggle badly in the Premiership.

Whilst one would expect the team with the best players to come out on top , the best players are not always the ones that cost the most as Leicester proved when they won the Premiership. .

6 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Whilst one would expect the team with the best players to come out on top , the best players are not always the ones that cost the most as Leicester proved when they won the Premiership. .

Indeed not always, but mostly.

There's always exceptions to the rule.

The rule is more money = more success.

We'll need to wait for Magennis to get fit for Mallan's replacement, but hopefully we'll get a decent striker in before the Falkirk game.

Well Magennis was a key to the end of last season too. If Magennis is replacing Mallan, who's replacing Magennis?