sandy mcpherson

belfast billy

can anyone out there remember a player called sandy mcpherson . ithink he played for us in the mid to late 60s.My sons pal had him as a P.E. teacher in campbeltown and he left school in 1995 and he was still there.He also thinks he may have went to Norwich.I seem to remember him playing for us , can anyone help.

If it's the same Sandy McPherson that I'm thinking about he was a P.E. teacher in the JNH in the 70s. He was an alright footballer from what I remember but never played senior. He was also an arsehole , belting me for kicking a volleyball in the gym. :angry:

He would have you believe that he played senior but it's not true. A legend in his own mind !

If it's the same Sandy McPherson that I'm thinking about he was a P.E. teacher in the JNH in the 70s. He was an alright footballer from what I remember but never played senior. He was also an arsehole , belting me for kicking a volleyball in the gym. :angry:

He would have you believe that he played senior but it's not true. A legend in his own mind !

He is retired in his home town of Campbeltown....I know him reasonably well....well, he taught me! he sparked a real boom in local football when he came back here in 1973...school teams at every age group and a fantastic local league set up....

He was/is a big St Mirren fan and when we went away on school team matches he always took us to Paisley to Alexander's Sports Shop where he insisted on getting ALL PE kit for Campbeltown Grammar....... and it was on one of these trips I first saw the black and white terracing stanchons and flood lights and the general St Mirren ambience and became a St Mirren fan.

He also created, managed and played for a Campbeltown team in the Scottish amateur league. Campbeltown Boys, still growing strong. NOT the team Belfast Billy's son plays for though :wink:

I remember one particular elbow in the face he gave me back in 1980! we all thought he was OLD then but couuld only have been mid/late 30s..........but it wasn't just football, he encouraged every sport.

He was probably not "universally popular" in the school but I liked him and taught me all I knew (not much) about how to play right back....I can imagine him belting Billy for kicking the volley ball....he had a real big thing about that!

He does not enjoy great health now but is still well to the fore in Campbeltown life......dont be hard on him BillyG, he is one of us!

Edited by farmer john

I remember one particular elbow in the face he gave me back in 1980! we all thought he was OLD then but couuld only have been mid/late 30s..........but it wasn't just football, he encouraged every sport.

He was probably not "universally popular" in the school but I liked him and taught me all I knew (not much) about how to play right back....I can imagine him belting Billy for kicking the volley ball....he had a real big thing about that!

He does not enjoy great health now but is still well to the fore in Campbeltown life......dont be hard on him BillyG, he is one of us!

That'll be the same one then , he was always a bully. Nickname in the JNH , for some reason , was Bobby Moore ! :blink:

He is retired in his home town of Campbeltown....I know him reasonably well....well, he taught me! he sparked a real boom in local football when he came back here in 1973...school teams at every age group and a fantastic local league set up....

He was/is a big St Mirren fan and when we went away on school team matches he always took us to Paisley to Alexander's Sports Shop where he insisted on getting ALL PE kit for Campbeltown Grammar....... and it was on one of these trips I first saw the black and white terracing stanchons and flood lights and the general St Mirren ambience and became a St Mirren fan.

He also created, managed and played for a Campbeltown team in the Scottish amateur league. Campbeltown Boys, still growing strong. NOT the team Belfast Billy's son plays for though :wink:

hi john, it was my stepson stephens pal gary farmer who was asking me about sandy mcpherson.Stephen and gary went to school together and sandy taught them in P.E. Could also be the same one who taught at john neilston high

Mrs McPherson funnily enough, the last classroom looking inward to the playground on the 1st floor............

He left the school after they got hitched in the summer, remember the chart thing in 'The Neilsonian' Bobby's Girl...............................................

Yeah I know , I mean before that ! :blink:

Now, FJ, you should know that Mrs McP, ex Miss McK is from CAMPBELTOWN! she is not one of the notorious Paisley McKinvens....no no no. THAT is how TfT knows her Daddy.

Actually Ben and I used to baby sit her when she was a wee girl when we were apprentice painters wae her oul' fla' rolleyes.gif

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ah yes, I remember all this now!

I was in touch with Alastair Macpherson my maths teacher at Camphill who confirmed that Sandy was indeed at Camphill. When Alastair became Depute Head at Johnstone High Sandy was a PE teacher there before he got his dream move back to Campbelltown. Alastair went on to become the headmaster of Renfrew High for twenty years.

Alastair was telling me, and I imagine you will know this FJ, that Sandy developed a nasty eye problem which forced him to take early retirement. Apparently he blamed red bleas. Now, I have to confess when I saw this 'red bleas' written thus, I thought a spelling mistake must have been made. Surely it should have been red blaze? ( Or do I mean rid blaze?) Looked it up and bleas is correct. All these years I've thought it was blaze, despite my classical education at Camphill. I've got wee marks on both knees that I'm convinced are the result of games played on rid blaze (sorry, bleas) on cold winter mornings. Now, am I the only guy on the forum who didn't know it was 'BLEAS'. Be honest. Did everybody but me know that? Don't think I should let Bluto play this game. He knows everything.

I was in touch with Alastair Macpherson my maths teacher at Camphill who confirmed that Sandy was indeed at Camphill. When Alastair became Depute Head at Johnstone High Sandy was a PE teacher there before he got his dream move back to Campbelltown. Alastair went on to become the headmaster of Renfrew High for twenty years.

Alastair was telling me, and I imagine you will know this FJ, that Sandy developed a nasty eye problem which forced him to take early retirement. Apparently he blamed red bleas. Now, I have to confess when I saw this 'red bleas' written thus, I thought a spelling mistake must have been made. Surely it should have been red blaze? ( Or do I mean rid blaze?) Looked it up and bleas is correct. All these years I've thought it was blaze, despite my classical education at Camphill. I've got wee marks on both knees that I'm convinced are the result of games played on rid blaze (sorry, bleas) on cold winter mornings. Now, am I the only guy on the forum who didn't know it was 'BLEAS'. Be honest. Did everybody but me know that? Don't think I should let Bluto play this game. He knows everything.

Try again... And uncross your fingers this time.

Blaes. :)

Here to help. :P

Bugrit! You noticed the deliberate mistake. Big Bernie didn't misspell it incidentally. Did you ever think it was blaze?

Are you on a break or driving?

In my mind's eye it was "Blaize".

A school pitch across from the Flamingo, a couple of hundred yards nearer Glasgow, ripped my knee....

on tour.... :)