Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, hamlet said:

59er. 're third awning in Gauze Street. Don't remember a Galbraiths but

it could have been Menzies the Ham Curer and general grocery.

I was sent there on a Saturday to get the Wiltshire back bacon.

I am pretty sure the shop is now  the cafe Bianca Nero.

K shoe shop.jpg

On 10/24/2018 at 9:03 PM, salmonbuddie said:
On 10/24/2018 at 3:50 PM, Vambo57 said:
I think mine was The Heilanman's in Renfrew 1975 18p a pint. 
Me n the wife used to spend £2 on a night oot paying Pool and Cairds in there.  Good Jukebox.

What's The Heilanman's called these days, Vambo?

Dunno, when I left Renfrew abot 32 yrs ago, it was Morrison's and the last time I was down that way it was Mark Hateley's pub (dunno what it was called, but you could tell from the Blueness of it outside, that it had went downmarket!

30 minutes ago, Vambo57 said:

Dunno, when I left Renfrew abot 32 yrs ago, it was Morrison's and the last time I was down that way it was Mark Hateley's pub (dunno what it was called, but you could tell from the Blueness of it outside, that it had went downmarket!

It's empty now,went downhill quicker than Eddie the Eagle on Coke when Hateley took it on.

2 hours ago, Vambo57 said:

It became Simons in 1985 Colin , the owner was one Jack Kinsell , a bluenose but a nice one , if that's possible. He ran a proper boozer , quiz nights , Discos,  and was one of the first to show live football on a massive screen. A Celtic bus ran from the bar , and a Rangers bus ran from the lounge , and when the demand was there during cup runs etc he ran a St Mirren bus too. He sponsored the football team that I was running at the time and poured relatively big money into our club , at that time we trained 2 nights a week and played Saturdays , and we were duty bound (league rules) to offer our opponents hospitality afterwards. So that was a nice wee earner for him in return.  It was after that , when JK suffered ill health and sold up , that the place descended into being a place to avoid , which was a real shame. A lot of happy memories in there !

Edited by billyg

On 10/27/2018 at 9:22 PM, hamlet said:

59er. 're third awning in Gauze Street. Don't remember a Galbraiths but

it could have been Menzies the Ham Curer and general grocery.

I was sent there on a Saturday to get the Wiltshire back bacon.

I am pretty sure the shop is now  the cafe Bianca Nero.

Hamlet, you are absolutely correct. I had a pretty good idea it wasn't called Galbraiths.

You are also right about the smoked bacon on the slicer / carver machine (don't know what the technical name is for it) but my mother used to go there for most of her messages, including the bacon!

The big old bike I referred to was used for deliveries, can't imagine what the leg muscles of the delivery boy would have been like!!:blink:

21 hours ago, billyg said:

It became Simons in 1985 Colin , the owner was one Jack Kinsell , a bluenose but a nice one , if that's possible. He ran a proper boozer , quiz nights , Discos,  and was one of the first to show live football on a massive screen. A Celtic bus ran from the bar , and a Rangers bus ran from the lounge , and when the demand was there during cup runs etc he ran a St Mirren bus too. He sponsored the football team that I was running at the time and poured relatively big money into our club , at that time we trained 2 nights a week and played Saturdays , and we were duty bound (league rules) to offer our opponents hospitality afterwards. So that was a nice wee earner for him in return.  It was after that , when JK suffered ill health and sold up , that the place descended into being a place to avoid , which was a real shame. A lot of happy memories in there !

Aha... Simon's that right, had a couple of years in that before we moved.  Good pub!

The car on the left side of Hunter St, third up, looks like a Hillman Imp which means the picture was taken in 1963 or later.

Absolutely magic photos

Most people in Paisley will of walked down Moss St to go to Pitchers Sports or The Cycle shop / Fish van or down to Stereo One for music like me, but I never ever knew the street name

19 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The car on the left side of Hunter St, third up, looks like a Hillman Imp which means the picture was taken in 1963 or later.

Certainly after 1962 as there is a maroon Ford Anglia also in the picture. In fact I think I also see a Ford Corsair which only was shown at the London Motor show in late '63 so I would hazard a guess at 64 or 65.

57 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

I take it that the registration plates don't help?

It does a bit in that the first Alpha Neumeric date plates were issued in early '63 ie ABC 123A , then every year afterwards the letter after the numbers changing to B, C etc There are none in this pic visible , so early '63 is probably about right. 

Could be an omen btw , just noticed early 63 we were at the end of a 1 win in 9 games run of results , sound familiar ?

Edited by billyg