Youth Football Clubs {You Are Involved With}

Kombi Buddie

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:38 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

Robbie Leitch, one of the lads that started out at Wishaw Wycombe 98s has signed for Burnley.

Not been in here in a while (close season) and just changed jobs so been a bit busy.

I'll look out for the fella, see how he gets on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Been a while since I posted in here.

Here's 2 dilemma's recently faced but found differing opinions and I am interested in others thoughts, what would you do? (as manager of a youth football team)

Your opponents, who are bottom of the league, turn up for a match with only 10 players. Do you, play 11 players or do you play 10 to even things out?

Ref awards your team a penalty that you know, blatantly wasn't a penalty. Do you say nothing & accept the goal of it is scored or do you tell your penalty taker to shoot wide?

One for BuddieinEK, Norwich City have taken one of my players on trial. They asked to speak with a second players parents but they felt he isn't ready & declined.

14 hours ago, Kombibuddie said:

Been a while since I posted in here.

Here's 2 dilemma's recently faced but found differing opinions and I am interested in others thoughts, what would you do? (as manager of a youth football team)

Your opponents, who are bottom of the league, turn up for a match with only 10 players. Do you, play 11 players or do you play 10 to even things out?

Ref awards your team a penalty that you know, blatantly wasn't a penalty. Do you say nothing & accept the goal of it is scored or do you tell your penalty taker to shoot wide?

One for BuddieinEK, Norwich City have taken one of my players on trial. They asked to speak with a second players parents but they felt he isn't ready & declined.

You didn't say if it was a competitive match or not

The first dilemma, I'd play 11. It's not about the advantage it would give me. More that you have to give as many of your players the opportunity to play as possible. It wouldn't be fair to your lads to drop another one to the bench just because the opposition couldn't get a full team to turn up. If the match is a friendly and the opposition were willing I'd offer my substitutes the chance to get more football by playing for the other team. In a competitive match that wouldn't be allowed due to the registration rules. 

The penalty? Being honest, I'd accept the goal if it's scored. I wouldn't say nothing though I'd let the ref know if I thought he had it wrong.

And lastly well done to the parents. We had one lad who had been at Motherwell previously and hadn't enjoyed it and came back to play for us. A few weeks later Queens Park approached us to sign the lad. I put their scout onto the lads parents as I would always do, and they asked their son. He didn't fancy it and there was no pressure from his parents or from anyone else to change his mind. 

Stuart,
Both league matches.

I played 10 & had 3 subs instead of 2.
We won 12-0 & the reason i done this was because we had beaten them 12-1 earlier in the season & would have scored 20 odd goals at least if 10 v 11.

Dilemma 2. It was 1-0 to us at the time & it was so blatantly not a penalty. I spoke to the ref at the end & he said, from where he was standing, it looked a penalty so gave it.
I asked out penalty taker to shoot wide as i wanted to win the game honestly. If i hadn't seen it, i wouldn't have said a thing.
We won 2-1.

Will i do either of these again? I don't know.

Dilemma 1 team are bottom of the league & -60 after 9 games & getting beat heavily most weeks. I didn't want to destroy the opponents or hear of them giving up. It's a bunch of lads who want to play, i think we should encourage them too.

• 11 months later...

Thought of this thread when the ladies football thread got started and we were discussing how the ladies team will be funded.

Anyone else know of funding streams/initiatives that can be tapped into to apply for funding for SMISA &St Mirren to develop ladies football for the club. Many thanks. It takes quite a bit of work  explore funding, attend the meetings (if required), build the business case, submit the application etc etc & organise the fundraisers & so forth.  Sharing any knowledge you have regarding funding, could be invaluable to supporting this initiative from SMISA & St Mirren.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/Sport/Football.html

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=2997

https://thescottishfootballpartnership.com/

https://sportscotland.org.uk/funding/

https://www.aldi.co.uk/scottishsportfund

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Built-Environment/regeneration/communityfunds

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My son plays for Prestwick.

Scottish Cup 2002 5th Round, Sat 9th December 2017

Prestwick CFC 4 - 4 St Andrews BC Greenock
St Andrews win 6 - 7 After Extra Time

Jings, crivens and help ma boab what a pre-Christmas cracker was served up in this Scottish Cup last 16 tie played in Baltic conditions at The Oval in Prestwick. St Andrews finally ran out injury time winners by the odd goal in thirteen (yes, 13!) in a match that had everything and more.

St Andrews started the game quicker and scored an excellent free kick opener in only the 2nd minute. Prestwick equalised after 16 minutes and the first half finished 1-1 in what was a physical contest resulting in three St Andrews bookings.

It wasn’t getting any warmer as the second half started but the action on the pitch was white hot. St Andrews again took the lead in 44 mins before another Prestwick equaliser in 54. Once again, St Andrews went ahead in 60 mins then added another in 71 to make it 2 – 4 looking like game over.

Prestwick got back into it again at 3 - 4 before the most dramatic 83rd minute injury time equaliser, scored direct from a curling free kick. There were scenes on the touch line from the Prestwick supporters Jeff, unbelievable!
Final score after regulation time was 4 – 4.

Into extra time and once again St Andrews took the early lead with a controversial 81st minute penalty. Again Prestwick did not lie down and got level in 85 to take it to 5 – 5. No one could predict how this one would finish, especially through the driving sleet and snow showers.

One more goal apiece to make it 6 – 6 as these two teams went head to head like ageing boxers clinging to the ropes through sheer exhaustion. The final action was the late St Andrews winner in the 98th minute to finally end this magical cup tie.

Prestwick head coach Stuart McColm said ‘it was emotional but we leave with our heads held high’ and Graham Black, St Andrews coach added ‘it was nerve wracking and a great advert for local football. Shame there had to be a loser.’

For the neutral this was pulsating action from start to finish, a Scottish Cup classic indeed.