Hearts And Us.

I am also baseing my opinion on the fact that I've been watching us for 42 years and if there is one team that can make a complete balls up of things its Saint Mirren I honestly believe we will do no better than second bottom it wouldn't matter if we were to bring in Messi and Ronaldo its just how it is with us

Elvis mate, there are bigger teams than us floundering with lower league football and mounting debt/administration. I don't recall any such 'making a complete balls up" when we won the cups in 87 and this year. I have watched the team longer than you and have spent most of that with my head in my hands and my stomach churning. I cannot count the number of times my scarf was threatened with the hallowed turf of Love Street but I have grown to accept that a club with our budget and fan base will more than likely be scrapping near the bottom of the league. It is a way of life but I am much happier being where we are now and would wager that fans of Dundee, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Morton would give their eye teeth to be where we are.

You must have a crystal ball somewhere if you can predict our final squad and those of the other teams. Murderwell have just lost Higdon and a few other quality players while other competing teams have also lost quality. No-one can predict what is likely to happen until at least well into the season. There is no way that the Plastics will as well as Ross County have done (but they may of course) as they have lost some quality while Hearts (if they survive) are going to struggle with -15 points no matter who they have in their team. ICT are a mystery with so many new players as are Hibs without the guy who appeared to score all their goals.

If you are citing that we will be at the bottom because we always are then I guess you would not have predicted we would have won the League Cup and beaten Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts (all bigger clubs than us) because we had never won it.

Finally, football is a strange thing and surprises do happen. Would a RC fan have predicted their final league position of the Fakes getting into Europe? I doubt it and that is what makes this game so fascinating and enjoyable (well, as much as a St Mirren fan can enjoy lol)

A genuine Saints fan - certainly one as long as I have been - knows that there will always be more down days than up and that comes with the territory of supporting a small club with a small support and a small budget. 

surely you are describing Elvis here? You are having a go at him for expecting more down days than up, yet say it goes with the territory. Just because he expects us to lose doesn't mean he wants us to and it probably means he gets more enjoyment from a win. :ph34r:

I am also baseing my opinion on the fact that I've been watching us for 42 years and if there is one team that can make a complete balls up of things its Saint Mirren I honestly believe we will do no better than second bottom it wouldn't matter if we were to bring in Messi and Ronaldo its just how it is with us.

I can settle this one,we have and will not be bidding on either. This also includes any potential loan deals.

Non starter.

Edited by lovestreet

I've been watching us for 42 years

A mere youth

if there is one team that can make a complete balls up of things its Saint Mirren I honestly believe we will do no better than second bottom it wouldn't matter if we were to bring in Messi and Ronaldo its just how it is with us.

Got to agree with that - sadly

Just sent this text to Radio Scotland for Gary Locke... ...

I have nothing but respect for Hearts as a club. I have very good friends who bleed maroon blood. I like Hearts. I am good friends with someone who played 12 years at Tynecastle and have been awed by how this former player in his 80s has been treated by them. I truly like Hearts.

But.... ...

as a St mirren fan I have seen us rot in the lower league for years because we serviced debt rather than speculated.

We were relegated after one season in the spl because we would not spend what we didn't have.

We lost out captain to Rangers for higher wages than we would pay.

We lost our keeper to Dunfermline as they paid him a higher wage.

We lost a left back and a keeper to Killie for higher wages (note the clubs and who is next).

We wanted to sign Craig Beattie... he was interested in signing till Hearts offered higher wages... he joined Hearts and helped them win a cup.

Can Gary understand why it might be hard to empathise with hearts current situation when we have all seen it coming for years and other clubs, like Saints, have suffered for living within our means?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Black & White Army mobile app

I have nothing but respect for Hearts as a club. I have very good friends who bleed maroon blood. I like Hearts. I am good friends with someone who played 12 years at Tynecastle and have been awed by how this former player in his 80s has been treated by them. I truly like Hearts.

But.... ...

as a St mirren fan I have seen us rot in the lower league for years because we serviced debt rather than speculated.

We were relegated after one season in the spl because we would not spend what we didn't have.

We lost a left back and a keeper to Killie for higher wages (note the clubs and who is next).

We wanted to sign Craig Beattie... he was interested in signing till Hearts offered higher wages... he joined Hearts and helped them win a cup.

Can Gary understand why it might be hard to empathise with hearts current situation when we have all seen it coming for years and other clubs, like Saints, have suffered for living within our means?

A well thought out and reasonable e-mail.

Should have finished with '3-2 GIRFUY' mind you.

But.... ...

When reading and listening to all the comments about both Hearts and Rangers in this regard it is difficult at times to see why this point of view is not put over more frequently. Is it because it is a small club mentality? Or are there simply too many apologists out there?

Completely agree with your points and again without wanting to appear smug it's another pat on the back for our Board of Directors...for steering us away from the brink and adopting a sensible business model so that we can concentrate on footballing matters...

I played golf with a guy yesterday who started out as a fellow Saints fan. We were having an interesting debate about Sevco and Hearts most of the way round.

His opinion was that it was madness to take away the joint biggest club in the land and lose out on the revenue etc. I obviously disagreed.

He also didn't want Hearts relegated for the same reasons.

I pointed out that plenty of small local businesses are still out of pocket and that we don't actually miss them at all. They were fortunate that the SFL allowed them to transfer their membership to this new football club.

I asked, do you think "we" would have been allowed to transfer our membership if "we" has been liquidated? Not a chance. It would be bye bye Saints hello Spartans.

At this point I knew how the conversation was going to end.

His argument was that who wants to watch the top game in Scotland as Celtic v Motherwell? He said the competitiveness was gone and we needed a Rangers. This was another easy one to bat back at him.

Who cares about the challenge for Celtic and Motherwell got closer to Celtic than Rangers did in many recent seasons.

Competitiveness? Games are more open now and better to watch. Both teams playing for wins rather than avoiding defeat.

He then went on to the loss of revenue from the Rangers support but he was unaware that our largest league is against Killie and around 700 season ticket holders fail to turn up against the old firm.

We were starting to get closer to his real angle, Hearts being relegated and being in the first division at the same time as Sevco. Only one club being promoted and Sevco deprived of promotion.

Yes, he's a ***. He lost his bond seats etc when they went tits up. Shame :D

I hope Hearts get relegated and bounce straight back keeping Sevco down for one more season.

I played golf with a guy yesterday who started out as a fellow Saints fan. We were having an interesting debate about Sevco and Hearts most of the way round.

His opinion was that it was madness to take away the joint biggest club in the land and lose out on the revenue etc. I obviously disagreed.

I pointed out that plenty of small local businesses are still out of pocket and that we don't actually miss them at all. They were fortunate that the SFL allowed them to transfer their membership to this new football club.

I asked, do you think "we" would have been allowed to transfer our membership if "we" has been liquidated? Not a chance. It would be bye bye Saints hello Spartans.

His argument was that who wants to watch the top game in Scotland as Celtic v Motherwell? He said the competitiveness was gone and we needed a Rangers. This was another easy one to bat back at him.

Who cares about the challenge for Celtic and Motherwell got closer to Celtic than Rangers did in many recent seasons.

Competitiveness? Games are more open now and better to watch. Both teams playing for wins rather than avoiding defeat.

He then went on to the loss of revenue from the Rangers support but he was unaware that our largest league is against Killie and around 700 season ticket holders fail to turn up against the old firm.

We were starting to get closer to his real angle, Hearts being relegated and being in the first division at the same time as Sevco. Only one club being promoted and Sevco deprived of promotion.

Yes, he's a ***. He lost his bond seats etc when they went tits up. Shame biggrin.png

I hope Hearts get relegated and bounce straight back keeping Sevco down for one more season.

But don't you know they're both big clubs and diddies like us should know our place. In fact league positions shouldn't be decided by what happens on the pitch but what size of support each club has and how much debt they carry in order to get that massive support.

I hope Hearts are duly relegated. They deserve to punished, and if it means a season of crap football, followed by relegation to the first division then fair enough. When I was a kid, Hearts were in the first division due to the fact they had financial difficulties. Up until Mercer arrived and sorted them out anyway.

This is coming to a few other "big" clubs and frankly, they deserve it.

If you look at it from the fifteen point deduction ask yourself how many points IN FRONT of prudent clubs like us, the financially doped clubs were starting each season as they overleveraged on ridiculous wages to attract players we couldn't have afforded and they couldn't actually afford either.

It is good news for Thistle too, they SHOULD be able to finish in the play off spot now and, frankly, they will bring a bigger support to us than Hearts do, and we will go through to them in decent numbers. Its better for the league. The more east coast pish we can get rid of and replaced by clubs nearer us, the better.

Yes, he's a ***. He lost his bond seats etc when they went tits up. Shame biggrin.png

clap.gifclap.gif clap.gif

I have the same conversation with Weegies ( Newcunto F.C. and Green Vermin fans ) aw the time.

They vacate my vehicle thanking me for putting them straight. thumbup2.gif lol.gif

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 

I have the same conversation with Weegies ( Newcunto F.C. and Green Vermin fans ) aw the time.

They vacate my vehicle thanking me for putting them straight. Posted Image Posted Image 

And after you charge them over the odds in a seat they can't see the road from

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Black & White Army mobile app

I thought Wilson had cancelled the deal himself? In any case surely he cannot be registered as they are under a signing embargo for being in administration. Absolute joke.

Apparently , there is a seamless move from loan to permanent , meaning he is extending his current deal rather than signing a new one !