------Thompson

I'd like to see us line up something like:

Cornell/New signing

Vanzy/Barron---McGregor/Mair---McAusland---Yaqub/Barron/New Signing

Goodwin---McLean/New Signing

Teale/Reily---McGowan---McGinn/Harkins

------Thompson

Fuxake it's no rugby union !!!!!!

With the way signings have been going bringing in 2 more midfielders and possibly more on there way could we see Goodwin in the heart of defence with McGregor and mcausland. 3-5-2 or maybe a 4-5-1 looks to be maybe Danny's plan next season! Thoughts?

We've effectively been trying to play 4-2-3-1 - a posh 4-5-1 - since Danny came in. I don't think there's much of a change on the cards here.

I'd like to see us line up something like:

Cornell/New signing

Vanzy/Barron---McGregor/Mair---McAusland---Yaqub/Barron/New Signing

Goodwin---McLean/New Signing

Teale/Reily---McGowan---McGinn/Harkins

------Thompson

Agreed. best thing about this formation is the flexibility i.e. from the example above, McLean/NS can easily be bumped up to the 3 behind the striker, and Harkins or McGowan therefore bumped up to become second striker, 4-4-2.

Equally, Goodwin can drop back into centre back, meaning a back 3 with 2 wing backs, 5-4-1. Definitely a popular formation around the world these days because of this flexibility, a working model that players can automatically and easily realign themselves to in relation to game developments is essential, with our players this works well...in theory! smile.png

Edited by ss39Lavety

Doesn't matter what formation we want to play, getting another striker in is essential. We can shuffle things around and cover the holes we have at left back and in midfield, but there's no cover up top. Thompson is fantastic, and I've got really high hopes for Thomas Reilly, but with Guy leaving we're terribly short up front, if we ever play a 4-4-2 we won't even be able to name a striker on the bench.

I don't think we need to sign a world beater, just some sort of cover, someone with a bit of experience preferably. Like I said, Thomo's a great player, but to play the whole season as the only senior striker in the squad is a lot to ask, even from him.

For what it's worth I'd like to see us stick with the 4-2-3-1 we used for most of last season, with dangerous players like McGowan and Harkins in the centre of the park it could prove to be very effective.

Doesn't matter what formation we want to play, getting another striker in is essential. We can shuffle things around and cover the holes we have at left back and in midfield, but there's no cover up top. Thompson is fantastic, and I've got really high hopes for Thomas Reilly, but with Guy leaving we're terribly short up front, if we ever play a 4-4-2 we won't even be able to name a striker on the bench.

I don't think we need to sign a world beater, just some sort of cover, someone with a bit of experience preferably. Like I said, Thomo's a great player, but to play the whole season as the only senior striker in the squad is a lot to ask, even from him.

For what it's worth I'd like to see us stick with the 4-2-3-1 we used for most of last season, with dangerous players like McGowan and Harkins in the centre of the park it could prove to be very effective.

Agreed. The idea of Thompson up front as a lone striker doesn't fill me with any sort of confidence, speed being the major factor as far as Thompson is concerned. To this end, the midfielders would need to be chipping in substantially on the goals front if the lone striker manifesto is to be a successful one. This, coupled with concerns about Thompson does not a rosy prospect paint!

Any emphasis which is anti-long ball is a good thing in my opinion, an emphasis on an attacking midfield is a positive in this regard, the ultimate question is the extent to which goals can be spread around the team this year.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2013 at 8:25 PM, smfc_spec_1877 said:

With the way signings have been going bringing in 2 more midfielders and possibly more on there way could we see Goodwin in the heart of defence with McGregor and mcausland. 3-5-2 or maybe a 4-5-1 looks to be maybe Danny's plan next season! Thoughts?

Change the names but the debate goes on.