So What's The Ideal Starting 11 This Season?

This might be an extremly short thread with our squad being so thin this season but should everyone be fit who would we like to see as the ideal starting 11? Could be interesting though with who we think should be starting centre backs and we have good competition in the centre of the park, what formation? I do think we desperately need a new striker to partner Thomo up front.

I think every St Mirren fan knows we need cover for Thommo, our only big 'target man' striker. In regard to our best starting XI? I'll get back to you on that once the window shuts, any loanees have come in, any further signings have come in, and I've seen what we've got in at least half-a-dozen meaningful league fixtures.

For me Harkins looked much more of a threat yesterday playing through the middle. Wee McGinn did well on the left and I thought McGregor looked solid when he came on. I would go -

Cornell

Vanzy McGregor Cheesy Grainger

Goodwin

Teale Harkins McGinn

McGowan

Thompson

Edited by buddie

For me Harkins looked much more of a threat yesterday playing through the middle. Wee McGinn did well on the left and I thought McGregor looked solid when he came on. I would go - CornellVanzy McGregor Goodwin Grainger Teale Harkins McGinn McGowan Thompson

Give them a man advantage from the kick off? I like your style.

For me Harkins looked much more of a threat yesterday playing through the middle. Wee McGinn did well on the left and I thought McGregor looked solid when he came on. I would go - CornellVanzy McGregor Cheesy Grainger Goodwin Teale Harkins McGinn McGowan Thompson

McGregor won't start at the back unless we're short. He's too slow and not mobile enough.

2 years of upper body only training....

Edited by davidg

Keeper???

DVZ Cheesy Goodwin Grainger

Teale Geordie/??? McGinn Harkins

McGowan

Thompson

Nailed it in one. As ever, imperative that Thommo gets support from the two wide players and Gowser.

There's the option to drop Gowser deeper and remove mcginn or richardson, and bring on another striker, too.

I still have a feeling there is another signing on the way. We don't need cover for thommo, we need a partner for him who can pull opposition defences out of position. Perhaps our midfield can do this job but I think it works better to have someone who is a pest to allow thommo the time to concentrate on just scoring goals rather than chase the game. I am much happier about our defence now we have granger. From what I have seen of him his reading of the game is excellent which should instill confidence in the rest of the defence.

McGregor won't start at the back unless we're short. He's too slow and not mobile enough.

Maybe not but IMO he's no slower than cheesy ... He also reads the game better and he's very much no nonsense when were under pressure!

Maybe not but IMO he's no slower than cheesy ... He also reads the game better and he's very much no nonsense when were under pressure!

I'm not so sure about reading the game better, but what he did have was pace to help him recover. Depends if that is still there.

I'm not so sure about reading the game better, but what he did have was pace to help him recover. Depends if that is still there.

That also. Cheesy tends to get beaten to easily, especially when players cut in from the wing they always seem to get the better of him. I'm not trying to have a go at him because he has improved greatly over the last year but I just feel McGregor is a bit more solid.

Would u not take Kenny back in the middle if he can get back to fitness? The Newcastle lad doesn't seem to have played much football at all in last year.

Yes, I would hope so. Team based on what's available.

Gutted for Kenny, was hoping he would kick on this season.

Must admit he looked a bit lumbering when I saw him at Dundee last year. Maybe he'll get some of his pace back in the next few months as the emphasis of his training has changed.

Thought keeper looked solid yesterday - didn't have much to do but he was vocally sound with the defence - good communication and encouragement - vanzy was mobile and linked up well with teale - Goodwin bossed the defence and cheesy looked mobile and showed some good touches and control - grainger looks a good signing and harkins was keen to get involved going forward. McGowan had a quiet day but clearly oozes class . Teale delivered a number of quality crossed into the danger area. Tommo needs a strike partner and Reilly didn't seem to offer much - macgregor looked assured when he came on - I've got no issues with mair and glad we still have him in our squad. The ginger trialist didn't seem out of place and defo worth another look . Fingers crossed for a great season - coys

Keeper???

DVZ Cheesy Goodwin Grainger

Teale Geordie/??? McGinn Harkins

McGowan

Thompson

I reckon Harkins will play behind Thommo in a free role, not Gowser. Harkins seems the better finisher than McGowan. Gowser i reckon will play a bit like a deep lying playmaker a bit like what Luka Modric does. By the sounds of it McGinn played pretty decent at left wing yesterday. So i would imagine Lennon would be encouraged by that.

Edited by Dan Is The Man

I didn't touch a drop until after the game yesterday so I actually remember that friendly better than most league games last season!

McGinn was absolutely solid and really put in a good shift. I'd say he was better than Teale purely for having a better cross. Unlike the Morton game (never saw the Queens game), Teale didn't seem to play amazing. Don't get me wrong, he battered through defence straight up the wing as we can always rely on him to do, but his crosses were fairly poor. Shit happens though, sometimes things just don't go your way. McGinn was cracking though. Really showed what he was made of.

Harkins was decent and showed his skill on the ball but did seem a little greedy sometimes, trying to take the ball past a defender rather than just passing around. which led to pointless losses of possession allowing a counter attack. A decent signing though that I am happy with.

Jim was quality in defence, I thought he had a great game. Put that shiny heed to good use. I honestly am a strong enforcer of Goodwin as a defensive player rather than a midfielder. I think sometimes he slows the pace of the game down too much in mid, particularly on the counter. He's a hairy arsed centre back who gets stuck in, pretty much a key element of defence for most SPL teams. He did seem off balance occasionally though and f**ked a few passes, but that could all just be down to pre season focus.

Cheezy/McGreggor - i'm unsure on. Never been completely convinced by cheezy but haven't seen enough of McGreggor to know if he's up to par. See how the next few games go!

I also thought Cornell had a good game. Was not convinced at the Morton game but he really looks like he's settled into the squad. He really commands the defence and gets involved with the squad vocally. Good work to the guy, hoping to see more the of the same.

So, my top XI would be:

Cornell

Van Zanten Cheezy/McGreggor Goodwin Grainger

Teale Mcgowan (Geordie Lad?/McLean) McGinn

Harkins Thomo

We all love Thomo he's a hero. Having met him, he's a proper good lad as well, but I've not seen much of him so far. He seems shy on the ball recently. In the box he hesitates before striking and either duffs the shot, loses possession, or tries to pass back. I reckon he needs another striker up with him, and I know harkins isn't a striker but he's close enough. All in, I think our lack of striking power showed yesterday. We had plenty of decent goal scoring opportunities with open goals but suffered from having no one who could hit the ball into the net. Thomas Reilly looked decent for quick shots in the box, but his youngness shows. I imagine he'll be a real star in future seasons, but can't see him pushing more than the occasional game this season. If Danny goes for him then fair enough, I just see him keeping him benched most of the time.