Why Are We Getting It So Wrong?

The OF doesn't even begin to explain that and frankly it's a red herring - a nice wee bogeyman we can invoke to excuse us from our own failings.

Sigh! Slow people frustrate me.

The OF are having a knock-on effect BECAUSE we are no longer producing top class players.

The OF are a symptom not a cause.

Where's Finland gone?

and IKEA??

Finland? Not truly in Scandinavia, though a bit of it is. Geographically speaking it's only Sweden and Norway. Unless you speak Swedish you'll have to trust me on this -following excerpt from www.norden.se - the website of the Nordic Union:

Geografiskt skiljer man ibland mellan Norden och Skandinavien. Begreppet "Norden" omfattar alla fem länder med tillhörande självstyrande områden. Skandinavien inkluderar rent geografiskt enbart Norge och Sverige, samt de nordvästra delarna av Finland. Ordet används dock ofta i kulturell betydelse, och då avses Danmark, Sverige och Norge, men inte Finland.

'Geographically, there is a distinction between Norden and Scandinavia; the expression 'Nordic' encompasses all five politically independent countries (of northern Europe - i.e. Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland and Iceland). Scandinavia includes, geographically speaking, only Norway and Sweden, and the northwestern part of Finland. The word is however often used in a cultural sense, and in that regard includes Denmark, Sweden and Norway but not Finland. (I'd say the reason for this is that Finland is culturally more Russian. The Swedes, Danes and Norwegians are much more culturally homogenous.)

I need to get out more.

Edited by Barney63

This is the conundrum. You need a player with potential in terms of talent, the right attitude and then you need a series of coaches who can guide him down the right path to world class. Do we coach players to make the bench at an SFLPPLFPFL club or are we genuinely hand on heart trying to produce world stars? If the latter is true then we're either failing hopelessly at providin g the right path or the kids aren't interested in making the sacrifices.

I strongly believe we have people with the talent - statistically we must have. I think some combination of the wrong attitude and the wrong coaching or being part of the wrong crowd is to blame for the lack of world stars being produced. What else could it possibly be?

One of the Aberdeen starlets who moved to England at 18 last year (?) told the story about how bored he got up here with the lack of training. Went to England and talked about it being night and day.

As for world class? I'd list any player who was good enough to compete with the very best in the world on a regular basis without looking as though they didn't belong there. Lambert and Fletcher are hard to judge because they are playing alongside lesser players who will inevitably make them look bad.

to pick up on the training part, I heard something similar about Stephen McGinn when he moved to Watford. Despite him being the fittest St Mirren player in our squad when he arrived at Watford he was deemed way short of the fitness levels they expect down there.

to pick up on the training part, I heard something similar about Stephen McGinn when he moved to Watford. Despite him being the fittest St Mirren player in our squad when he arrived at Watford he was deemed way short of the fitness levels they expect down there.

It was like Shull favourite Steven Naismith went down to Arsenal for a fortnight trial when he was playing for Killie.

Sent home after week never even kicked a ball. Deemed far too unfit to play for Arsenal

It was like Shull favourite Steven Naismith went down to Arsenal for a fortnight trial when he was playing for Killie.

Sent home after week never even kicked a ball. Deemed far too unfit to play for Arsenal

Deemed far too shite more likely.

The answer here is pretty simple. We have been relying on clubs like Livingston and Hamilton to produce our star players.

The bigger clubs have produced next to bugger all for generation and our biggest two systematically set out to stifle the production of Scottish talent. The only world class player we have had was fortunate enough to move to Manchester as a kid.

A bit more immigration might help too.

The answer here is pretty simple. We have been relying on clubs like Livingston and Hamilton to produce our star players.

The bigger clubs have produced next to bugger all for generation and our biggest two systematically set out to stifle the production of Scottish talent. The only world class player we have had was fortunate enough to move to Manchester as a kid.

A bit more immigration might help too.

More loanees would help. St Mirren are trailblazers - we'll have four of Isma's kids in our youth set-up in no time at all.