Defence 5-3-2?

It is looking likely that we will be picking up a couple of players which will improve our midfield and attack options and see our major downfall as the back line. Danny Grainger is a welcome edition but Vanzy really isnt the quality we need at right back and the centre is looking quite scary just now with an old slow player who gives away to many free kicks around the box (Goodwin), a player who is short on fitness (McGregor) and McAusland who makes too many mistakes and may or may not be getting an offer from hibs. I know Danny is interested in playing attractive football but are we going to become one of these teams like Newcastle under Keegan that hope to score more than we let in. I reckon the old sweeper system may be the best option in the short term until we are sure what is the best combination and partnership going forward as I don't think Danny even knows what to do just now. We have enough creative ability if the 2 Newcastle lads are coming but need to be sure we dont throw games away before we get our act together as a unit. Thoughts?

Cornell

DVZ McAusland Mcgregor Grainger

Goodwin

Teale Mcgowan Mcginn

Harkins

Thompson

For me this is the best formation and lineup with the squad available, Goodwin playing across the park in front of the defence and plugging the gap between midfield and defence and harkins playing infront of the midfield and supporting thommo.

ETA: Shapes a bit off there but you get the idea, ideally we would go 3 at the back with Teale and Grainger as wing backs but don't think they are cut out for that type of role.

Edited by irvine_buddie

Cornell

DVZ McAusland Mcgregor Grainger

Goodwin

Teale Mcgowan Mcginn

Harkins

Thompson

For me this is the best formation and lineup with the squad available, Goodwin playing across the park in front of the defence and plugging the gap between midfield and defence and harkins playing infront of the midfield and supporting thommo.

I think playing 12 players is called cheating!! (Good try though!!)

It is looking likely that we will be picking up a couple of players which will improve our midfield and attack options and see our major downfall as the back line. Danny Grainger is a welcome edition but Vanzy really isnt the quality we need at right back and the centre is looking quite scary just now with an old slow player who gives away to many free kicks around the box (Goodwin), a player who is short on fitness (McGregor) and McAusland who makes too many mistakes and may or may not be getting an offer from hibs. I know Danny is interested in playing attractive football but are we going to become one of these teams like Newcastle under Keegan that hope to score more than we let in. I reckon the old sweeper system may be the best option in the short term until we are sure what is the best combination and partnership going forward as I don't think Danny even knows what to do just now. We have enough creative ability if the 2 Newcastle lads are coming but need to be sure we dont throw games away before we get our act together as a unit. Thoughts?

Having read your post I am having some difficulty in marrying your forum user name with the content of your post.

If I may hilight the issues that have driven me to a derisory shake of the head

1) No "Truesaint" or proper fan of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co would openly berate our own players on a public forum in such a manner. Such behavioiur is both unwarranted and unwelcome.

2) You assertion that "Vanzy" is not of the required quality may well be your opinion. My opinion differs somewhat in that after a realtively mild pre-season for him in terms of his own performance levels we, the fans of the club, know that young David is a better player than he has recently shown and his form is certian to return.

3) Your assertion that "Goodwin" is an old slow player is also quite unfair and counter productive. My opinion differs again from yours in that I think that our James is actually more mobile than most who play in the centre half position. I agree however that he is not a natural centre back and I would prefer a different option. That said his performances in that position last season were actually rather good and a major contributing factor in our league cup success.

4) Why would you assert that "McGregor" is short of fitness? Whilst I am aware that he has returned from not one, but two career threatening injuries (much to his credit it really has to be said) he has enjoyed (or rather endured) a full pre-season fitness programme along with his colleagues and team mates. He may require some extra game time but when the season commences that will prove to be an easy fix. I for one am very glad to have Darren McGregor back and I wish him a fruitful and injury free season.

5) "McAusland who makes too many mistakes". I mean really? Young Marc McAusland has matured into the best centre half currently at our club. If it were not for him last season I really do expect that our beloved team would have been relegated in the midst of the great centre half shortage of 2012. As all young players he did make mistakes when first thrust unto the throes of first team action. He no longer makes mistakes with such regularity and any proper football fan could not fail to see that. I absolutlely and resolutely reject your sorry and ill-informed comments about one of our team most important players. If we also consider that he is indeed a true Buddie in every sense of the word then I must damn your comments in the strongest sense. Damn them indeed!

6) "Danny Grainger is a welcome addition to the club". In this at least we do agree, agreement indeed!

Having read your post I am having some difficulty in marrying your forum user name with the content of your post.

If I may hilight the issues that have driven me to a derisory shake of the head

1) No "Truesaint" or proper fan of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co would openly berate our own players on a public forum in such a manner. Such behavioiur is both unwarranted and unwelcome.

2) You assertion that "Vanzy" is not of the required quality may well be your opinion. My opinion differs somewhat in that after a realtively mild pre-season for him in terms of his own performance levels we, the fans of the club, know that young David is a better player than he has recently shown and his form is certian to return.

3) Your assertion that "Goodwin" is an old slow player is also quite unfair and counter productive. My opinion differs again from yours in that I think that our James is actually more mobile than most who play in the centre half position. I agree however that he is not a natural centre back and I would prefer a different option. That said his performances in that position last season were actually rather good and a major contributing factor in our league cup success.

4) Why would you assert that "McGregor" is short of fitness? Whilst I am aware that he has returned from not one, but two career threatening injuries (much to his credit it really has to be said) he has enjoyed (or rather endured) a full pre-season fitness programme along with his colleagues and team mates. He may require some extra game time but when the season commences that will prove to be an easy fix. I for one am very glad to have Darren McGregor back and I wish him a fruitful and injury free season.

5) "McAusland who makes too many mistakes". I mean really? Young Marc McAusland has matured into the best centre half currently at our club. If it were not for him last season I really do expect that our beloved team would have been relegated in the midst of the great centre half shortage of 2012. As all young players he did make mistakes when first thrust unto the throes of first team action. He no longer makes mistakes with such regularity and any proper football fan could not fail to see that. I absolutlely and resolutely reject your sorry and ill-informed comments about one of our team most important players. If we also consider that he is indeed a true Buddie in every sense of the word then I must damn your comments in the strongest sense. Damn them indeed!

6) "Danny Grainger is a welcome addition to the club". In this at least we do agree, agreement indeed!

Jeezo your posting name is spot on!!!! Results and stats back up my point fairly well If you are trying to say our defence is adequate for the season ahead then you are sadly mistaken. If you have been watching any of the games then you should surely agree if not then should have gone to specsavers. The positional play and organisation at the back is well below par and I unfortunately have a slightly different opinion on where goodwin should play. I would like to see him play behind the other 2 as a last ditch attempt to stop up losing way to many goals. My set up would probably be a 3-2-3-2 and not worry too much about the left and right going much further than the halfway box. It may all seem a bit doom and gloom but we need to get the right balance between defence and attack which we certainly do not have at the moment. I am only seeing it with my own 20-20 vision and don't think I am not the only one. I want to see what it best for the team and highlight further what has been the downside to our current squad. I also think you will find that the Invernesses Norwegian fellow will cause us many problems at the back and if I am wrong then say I told you so. (maybe give it another couple of games) but think the balance and consistency, plus directions given from the gaffer are out just now. The guys dont know when to push teams up and play out and this has been evident for many a year. Confidence and ability is key, both of which we are sadly lacking...

Last year how many times did you come out saying we need a left back. Even when Dummet arrived his inexperience cost us points.

How many times did you think well maybe Sammy's saves made up for his slip ups? And his eccentricities unnerved the defence

Two areas that I think we've improved a lot. Dummet may have a big future ahead of him, but a fully fit Granger is much more solid and can be a leader in the team

Cornell looks much more "conventional" than Samson and I think will turn out to be a great signing.

I think defensively we will be much more solid then last year.