Best Midfield Out With Celtic

Got to say I think that if Newton signs we wil have a real stake to the claim we have the best midfield in spl outwith celtics

When you look at it

Teale

McGinn

Harkins

McGowan

Newton

I believe all 5 would get into any other side in the league and then we have possibly Goodwin unless he's at the back and also McLean who if he finds his form again is equally as good

Also backed up with some youngsters with real potential in Reilly yaqub Kelly

That's why I think we should be playing the 4-5-1 to use as many of our midfielders as possible at the one time

Thoughts ?

4-5-1 won't work this year if we are playing Thommo up front based on what I saw against Morton and Newcastle. As I said on another thread I'd like to see Reilly and Thommo playing together similar to Yardley and Lavety.

Are you suggesting Thommo and Reilly need to put weight on?

Are you suggesting Thommo and Reilly need to put weight on?

Ha ha, no. I am sure that you will be aware of the dangers posed to opposition defences by the knock down and bang attacking style they very effectively used in the 1999-2000 season. As far as the pies go, I think Yardley has that tied up long term.

I think we could get away with a midfield five with Newton and McGinn at the base, Gowser in a free role ahead of them, but it puts a huge amount of pressure on Harkins and Teale (and Gowser) to provide support up top.

I was hugely impressed with McGinn on Tuesday night. Took him 20 minutes to get into the game, and he had a few mis-placed passes that you have to hope he will iron out (and he won't play against two midfielders that good for the rest of the season), but overall he's clearly going to be one of the SPL's stand-out young players this season.

I,m probably in a minority of one here , but I would give consideration to playing Newton at right back should we get him , have McAusland and McGregor in central defence with Goodwin as a holding midfielder , think that would make us very solid defensively .

I,m probably in a minority of one here , but I would give consideration to playing Newton at right back should we get him , have McAusland and McGregor in central defence with Goodwin as a holding midfielder , think that would make us very solid defensively .

Would have Gowser ,Harkins and Teale behind two strikers ,which would leave McGinn and McLean as cover ,or to be brought on to change things.

If we can get a right back and a striker , I think we,ll do okay this season

If he signs, Newton coming into the defensive midfield role should cut down on the amount of chances being created against us.

If we play a midfield of Harkins, Teale, McGowan, McGinn & McLean (or even four of them and Reilly up front with Thommo), opposition teams will have men over all the time as there's no-one to help out the defence - all of those players are too attack minded to play without a defensive midfielder like Newton or Goodwin (who as I've said before, is better at centre half where his lack of pace isn't as noticeable).

If DL is looking at teams like Bayern or Dortmund this year for inspiration, then he must surely notice that they both have a good, mobile defensive midfielder to allow the rest of the midfield to create - Kehl or Bender at Dortmund & Martinez or Gustavo at Bayern. We shouldn't be wasting McGinn or McGowan by trying to play them in that sort of role.

Got to say I think that if Newton signs we wil have a real stake to the claim we have the best midfield in spl outwith celtics

When you look at it

Teale

McGinn

Harkins

McGowan

Newton

I believe all 5 would get into any other side in the league and then we have possibly Goodwin unless he's at the back and also McLean who if he finds his form again is equally as good

Also backed up with some youngsters with real potential in Reilly yaqub Kelly

That's why I think we should be playing the 4-5-1 to use as many of our midfielders as possible at the one time

Thoughts ?

Yep,im sure all five would walk into the motherwell team ,they will probably all get their scottish/english international caps about the same time too bangin.gif

Yep,im sure all five would walk into the motherwell team ,they will probably all get their scottish/english international caps about the same time too bangin.gif

At some stage you're going to have something intelligent, constructive and supportive to say about our team.

We should setup a sweepstake of dates as to when that will happen.

Had he not done both his knees in and spent 2 years on upper body training this would be ideal. He's got a bit to go before he's starting IMO.

Thompson never reall shows up well in pre season games. I reckon he knows exactly what he is doing to get himself up to match sharpness now anyway and wouldnt read much into these games as they bear no resemblance to proper competitive matches.

The midfield looks ok and hopefully Harkins can chip in with some goals too, as we could definitely use the midfield scoring some.

I would like to comment on the players that we do have and not the maybees so i would have McGowan & Harkins Centre Mid with McGowan sitting deeper, Teale Right McGinn Left with Riley and Thommo up front with Riley dropping deep into midfield like wee Hasselbank used to do.

Spot on, ive said a few times i would play newton at right back, him and grainger both have bundles of energy and drive which we need from our full backs, van zanten should not be 1st choice, not good enough.