St Mirren Golf Day

Paul,

For reasons best known to myself, I called you Brian in my previous post. Apologies.

Robert.

No worries Charlie.

Couldn't finish our doubles tie last night - bad light stopped play at 8.45pm. We're 3 up with 6 to play though. Starting up again on Monday at the 13th tee. Half an hour's more light and we'd have finished it last night. Damn.

No worries Charlie.

Couldn't finish our doubles tie last night - bad light stopped play at 8.45pm. We're 3 up with 6 to play though. Starting up again on Monday at the 13th tee. Half an hour's more light and we'd have finished it last night. Damn.

Eventually won our doubles tie at the 18th after yours truly holed a downhill 20 footer to wrap things up. Into the semi final. Glory beckons... maybe, perhaps, gie's a signing, get it sorted...

So, anyone else from the forum taking part on Sept 6!?

Eventually won our doubles tie at the 18th after yours truly holed a downhill 20 footer to wrap things up. Into the semi final. Glory beckons... maybe, perhaps, gie's a signing, get it sorted...

So, anyone else from the forum taking part on Sept 6!?

nah............

the course will be shit, the set up all wrong , the catering will be rank, the team tactics will be abysmal and the lack of birdie opportunities will see us well over par.

What happened to simple straight down the middle tactics, a quick sand save and maybe even a couple of oozlers. I suppose a golden ferret out the question now ?

It's just not the same.......................whistling.gif

nah............

the course will be shit, the set up all wrong , the catering will be rank, the team tactics will be abysmal and the lack of birdie opportunities will see us well over par.

What happened to simple straight down the middle tactics, a quick sand save and maybe even a couple of oozlers. I suppose a golden ferret out the question now ?

It's just not the same.......................whistling.gif

Aye, hadn't thought about that. Could turn nasty as fans gather at the first tee to boo any player who doesn't scream one 300 yards down the middle.

Aye, hadn't thought about that. Could turn nasty as fans gather at the first tee to boo any player who doesn't scream one 300 yards down the middle.

also , speak to Taylor Made, they should sponsor the negativity. Their Driver RBZ......Rocketballz, has a certain symmetry with all of this

Is Danny Lennon playing in this event?

It is just that after today Mr Lennon will be lucky to remain in the employ of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co. In such an event I hope that the powers that be at our fans council petition the board to ensure that any managerial replacement also plays golf.

If Mr Lennon does keep his job and plays in my fourball I sincerely hope that he is somewhat more interesting on the golf course than he is in front of a television camera. I am almost bored to rem sleep thinking about his banter.

Is Danny Lennon playing in this event?

It is just that after today Mr Lennon will be lucky to remain in the employ of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co. In such an event I hope that the powers that be at our fans council petition the board to ensure that any managerial replacement also plays golf.

If Mr Lennon does keep his job and plays in my fourball I sincerely hope that he is somewhat more interesting on the golf course than he is in front of a television camera. I am almost bored to rem sleep thinking about his banter.

I don't know if Danny is a golfer or not. I can tell you one thing though - even if we lose to Queens and Partick and the place is in meltdown, the golf day is nothing to do with that. I'm there to enjoy the day and the company. Whoever my team gets out of the St Mirren bag to play with us, the last thing I want to be doing is talking about football. Certainly not moaning or mumping my gums to anyone. Forget that. Time and a place.

I don't know if Danny is a golfer or not. I can tell you one thing though - even if we lose to Queens and Partick and the place is in meltdown, the golf day is nothing to do with that. I'm there to enjoy the day and the company. Whoever my team gets out of the St Mirren bag to play with us, the last thing I want to be doing is talking about football. Certainly not moaning or mumping my gums to anyone. Forget that. Time and a place.

You have missed my simple and straight forward point. I was merely enquiring as to whether Danny Lennon is confirmed as playing and making an assertion that he may not be able to keep that appointment as it would appear that his job is in extreme jeopardy. That said he could always get sacked but still turn up anyway although I must confess that I would find that rather embarrassing.

Thank you for the information about your proposed topics of conversation during your round. I will talk about golf mostly but I may also discuss topics such as the weather, breakfast, dinner, the price of beer, what beer used to cost and my favourite public houses. Although why you felt the need to share such trivia is beyond me.

You have missed my simple and straight forward point. I was merely enquiring as to whether Danny Lennon is confirmed as playing and making an assertion that he may not be able to keep that appointment as it would appear that his job is in extreme jeopardy. That said he could always get sacked but still turn up anyway although I must confess that I would find that rather embarrassing.

Thank you for the information about your proposed topics of conversation during your round. I will talk about golf mostly but I may also discuss topics such as the weather, breakfast, dinner, the price of beer, what beer used to cost and my favourite public houses. Although why you felt the need to share such trivia is beyond me.

I often wonder why you feel the need to share your entire forum input in such a wanky style with all of us, but hey, each to their own.

Your point was actually twofold. Your first point I understood perfectly thank you very much - if Danny is sacked or leaves before Sept 6, you hope any hastily appointed new manager will tee it up at Paisley GC.

Your second point was seemingly saying that Danny would be a right boring person to be stuck for four hours on a golf course with...assuming he isn't relieved of his duties of course.

I often wonder why you feel the need to share your entire forum input in such a wanky style with all of us, but hey, each to their own.

Your point was actually twofold. Your first point I understood perfectly thank you very much - if Danny is sacked or leaves before Sept 6, you hope any hastily appointed new manager will tee it up at Paisley GC.

Your second point was seemingly saying that Danny would be a right boring person to be stuck for four hours on a golf course with...assuming he isn't relieved of his duties of course.

And I wonder why you insist on asking questions that you already know the answer to?

In fact I am at a complete loss as to why you insisted on making what is (by your own admission) a completely pointless post.

If you dislike my posting style then may I suggest that you put yours truly on "ignore" rather than needlessly swear. Such behaviour is neither big nor clever and I sincerely hope that you will refrain from such disgusting outbursts at the golf day itself.

Anyway now that I have dealt with this naughty and pointless outburst may I say that I played a round at The Bushes this very day and the course is nothing short of magnificent. As long as undesirables such as the poster above behave in a proper manner then may I assert that we are in for a real treat on this golf day, a real treat indeed.

Courses? All about opinions. I was a member at Lochwinnoch for 33 years, but could understand why people hated it. Built on the side of a mountain.

Local courses? Played Cochrane Castle many times - would be brilliant if you could pick it up and put it where Gleneagles is. Have played Kilbirnie a few times - hate it. Only played Beith yonks ago when it was nine holes, liked it back then. Played Old Ranfurly last month with Zurich Allan. Was in lovely condition and is a tough test. I have played Paisley once, donkeys years ago, can't remember a thing about it. I also haven't played Renfrew for years - can only remember tree lined fairways and a Par 3 with water in front of the green. I've never played Elderslie, Ralston, Ranfurly Castle or Gleddoch. Erskine was a nice course, again, only played it years ago.

The best course I've ever played was Kingsbarns near St Andrews. I have played Turnberry, The Old Course, and the PGA Centenary at Gleneagles many times. The PGA Centenary at Gleneagles is a tough old place to carry your clubs round and walk the course. I have never been so knackered after a round of golf as playing there.

My mate is a member at Deer Park in Livingston - it's a cracking course. East Kilbride is a really nice layout. Another favourite of mine is Buchanan Castle in Drymen.

Like most Renfrewshire golfers, I've went down in the colder months to play the Troon courses - Darnley, Lochgreen and Fullarton, they are excellent. I really haven't played that many other courses in Scotland. East Ren', Ratho Park, Millport, Mearns Castle, Dullatur, Cawder, Hayston, Hilton Park, and some teenage stuff at Barshaw and a public course in Kilmarnock who's name escapes me.

Kingsbarns was the dug's danglies though.

I loved Darley when I played it. I found it really tough going at points, but a great bit of fun.

Ralston isn't bad for a local course. Love the drive down the hill at 18, towards the clubhouse and the view over Paisley from the 2nd and 5th greens.

Just a pity I'm woeful at golf!

• 2 weeks later...

The winning team was big Ian Wilkie, Ian's pal Scott, myself, and Marc McAusland. We scored 80 points. Three teams finished on 79 points and went to the countback to decide 4th, 3rd and 2nd places. As the winning team, we won corporate hospitality at a home game.

The St Mirren representatives for each team of three were drawn out of the League Cup by Danny. We won a watch drawing big Cheesy - he's a long time member at Paisley GC so knew his way around the course, and he's a helluva' nice bloke too. Our handicaps in our team were 9, 10, 12 and 12 - we played really well to score 80 points. Big Ian played out of his skin on the front 9 - on his own he was only 1 over par gross.

Cheesy is a good player, 9 h'cap. Gary Harkins plays off 3 I believe, and big Thommo' plays off 12. Thommo' was in the group behind us and won the longest drive competition, which he declined to win, and allowed the fan with the longest drive to take the prize. From what I saw, Thommo' is a good player too, as a 12 h'cap would suggest. He turned up wearing green tweed plus fours, black knee high socks and a forest green tank top with a golfing figure on the front. I'm sure photos will surface soon.

The event was superbly organised by the fan's council - especially Ian Wilkie and Eric Crossan. Applauds to all concerned. I spoke with SG, Danny, Conor Newton and all were absolute gentlemen. A very successful day, raising over £1400 for youth development. John McGinn took dug's abuse for turning up wearing white shorts and a fetching blue and white stripey shirt... 'Going to the beach wee man?' quipped a team mate.

Think that covers most of it. Looking forward to defending our championees title in 2014!

The winning team was big Ian Wilkie, Ian's pal Scott, myself, and Marc McAusland. We scored 80 points. Three teams finished on 79 points and went to the countback to decide 4th, 3rd and 2nd places. As the winning team, we won corporate hospitality at a home game.

The St Mirren representatives for each team of three were drawn out of the League Cup by Danny. We won a watch drawing big Cheesy - he's a long time member at Paisley GC so knew his way around the course, and he's a helluva' nice bloke too. Our handicaps in our team were 9, 10, 12 and 12 - we played really well to score 80 points. Big Ian played out of his skin on the front 9 - on his own he was only 1 over par gross.

Cheesy is a good player, 9 h'cap. Gary Harkins plays off 3 I believe, and big Thommo' plays off 12. Thommo' was in the group behind us and won the longest drive competition, which he declined to win, and allowed the fan with the longest drive to take the prize. From what I saw, Thommo' is a good player too, as a 12 h'cap would suggest. He turned up wearing green tweed plus fours, black knee high socks and a forest green tank top with a golfing figure on the front. I'm sure photos will surface soon.

The event was superbly organised by the fan's council - especially Ian Wilkie and Eric Crossan. Applauds to all concerned. I spoke with SG, Danny, Conor Newton and all were absolute gentlemen. A very successful day, raising over £1400 for youth development. John McGinn took dug's abuse for turning up wearing white shorts and a fetching blue and white stripey shirt... 'Going to the beach wee man?' quipped a team mate.

Think that covers most of it. Looking forward to defending our championees title in 2014!

Sounds like it was a good day out.

There is a photo on this thread from P&B, with Thommo in all his....er, glory!

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/201876-the-st-mirren-20132014-season-thread/page-67

Brilliant day out. Played with Gary Teale plus two local boys, Ian and Les. Gary hits the ball for miles, but, unsurprisingly, as he plays only two or three times a year, has trouble keeping it on the planet! The guy is an absolute gentleman as were all the other players and management we met. We were beaten by 1 stroke having holed absolutely nothing all the way round. (Cue everyone else saying much the same thing). Thanks to all who made the day a success. Roll on next year.

Robert