Next St Mirren Manager

We can promise a new manager that he'll keep his job for at least 5 months after winning a major trophy - what better job security is there around than that?

Is there a team in Scotland who have had less managers than us in the last 8 years? I'd be surprised if there was, the Saints job is one of the most secure around.

Is there a team in Scotland who have had less managers than us in the last 8 years? I'd be surprised if there was, the Saints job is one of the most secure around.

You miss my point. We won a cup 5 months ago. Ever since, many fans have been trying to hound the manager out. Some fans seem to be unfamiliar with the definition of support.

I'm not saying Lennon won't deserve to go if we can't stop the rot soon, but the fact is that it looks shocking for a manager to be sacked so soon after winning a major trophy.

You miss my point. We won a cup 5 months ago. Ever since, many fans have been trying to hound the manager out. Some fans seem to be unfamiliar with the definition of support.

I'm not saying Lennon won't deserve to go if we can't stop the rot soon, but the fact is that it looks shocking for a manager to be sacked so soon after winning a major trophy.

How long should winning a cup give a manager invincibility? It's been 5 months of utter shite since we won it, how long's too long?

How long should winning a cup give a manager invincibility? It's been 5 months of utter shite since we won it, how long's too long?

Has it? It's been the close season for 3 months of it, which makes it even more shocking from the outside if the manager goes.

I'd say more than 3 games into a new season would be desirable and would constitute giving a manager time in any case, but after winning a major trophy the season before? Probably a bit longer than the norm.

It's easy for people to say it's been shocking, the manager must go, but most of the people saying it were saying it within a fortnight of winning the cup!

Support needed - for everyone at the club.

Has it? It's been the close season for 3 months of it, which makes it even more shocking from the outside if the manager goes.

I'd say more than 3 games into a new season would be desirable and would constitute giving a manager time in any case, but after winning a major trophy the season before? Probably a bit longer than the norm.

It's easy for people to say it's been shocking, the manager must go, but most of the people saying it were saying it within a fortnight of winning the cup!

Support needed - for everyone at the club.

The preseasons been part of the problem. His management of the squad over the summer has been shocking, and it's playing a big part in our awful start.

I agree we should give him more than 3 games, no one is reasonably expecting to go now. Lose tomorrow and fail to win on Saturday though...

Why is it shocking to sack a manager just because we won a trophy 5 months ago. The team that he's built for this season is completely under prepared for competing at this level and last seasons form in the league was horrendous so why is it shocking to sack a manager who has had more than 3 years in the job and has consistently under performed in the league. He's had enough time to try and get it right and he's failed so it's time he leaves and allows someone else to have a shot at the job.

Why is it shocking to sack a manager just because we won a trophy 5 months ago. The team that he's built for this season is completely under prepared for competing at this level and last seasons form in the league was horrendous so why is it shocking to sack a manager who has had more than 3 years in the job and has consistently under performed in the league. He's had enough time to try and get it right and he's failed so it's time he leaves and allows someone else to have a shot at the job.

It looks shocking because we won a trophy 5 months ago. It looks shocking because we're only 3 games into a new season, I do agree that if the form doesn't improve then we need to address it, but now isn't the time. Might not be too far away if things don't get better, but to do it now looks shocking in my opinion, for people looking at this from outside, for prospective replacements for the manager.

Edited by Soctty

What makes you say that?

Our board won't pay him off unless we are adrift at the bottom of the table and that won't happen with the situation with Hearts. As for this weekend we will be hurting from the County game and with a couple of signings to freshen things I feel Thistle will make it hard for us but we will take the 3 points and talking this time next week about our new striker

It looks shocking because we won a trophy 5 months ago. It looks shocking because we're only 3 games into a new season, I do agree that if the form doesn't improve then we need to address it, but now isn't the time. Might not be too far away if things don't get better, but to do it now looks shocking in my opinion, for people looking at this from outside, for prospective replacements for the manager.

Cup wins do not bring a manager invincibility. Yes we won a trophy, great, but the league is the bread and butter and with relegation we'll have few chances of matching that.

People looking from the outside will look at results. This season two 3-0 humpings in the Highlands and a failure to beat 10 men at home. 1 win since February (last game of the season where Killie played a few kids) and John Brown got Dundee got far closer than they should have. That is shoogly peg form.

Then there is the mess of the squad and the transfer window this summer.

2 defeats from the next 2 games will do it.

Edited by flyingscot

Cup wins do not bring a manager invincibility. Yes we won a trophy, great, but the league is the bread and butter and with relegation we'll have few chances of matching that.

I never said they did.

People looking from the outside will look at results. This season two 3-0 humpings in the Highlands and a failure to beat 10 men at home. 1 win since February (last game of the season where Killie played a few kids) and John Brown got Dundee got far closer than they should have. That is shoogly peg form.

Then there is the mess of the squad and the transfer window this summer.

2 defeats from the next 2 games will do it.

It may well do, but it still looks poor from the outside that a guy who won a trophy for a club that wins trophies once every quarter of a century or so couldn't keep his job for longer than a few months - especially when most of that time was during the summer.

I agree sacking him right now is a bit extreme however the trophy shouldn't matter. Why should winning a trophy protect him from the sack? If he's not good enough at managing this team in the league which is still more vital than winning a cup (no matter how great the experience of winning the cup was) then he should be sacked. Saying he shouldn't be sacked because he won a cup is like saying don't sack the chef because 5 months ago he won The cleanest kitchen award and the fact he's a horrendous cook should be seen as a secondary factor as it might look bad if we sack him. As I've said he's had 3 years and he does not deserve much more than that.

I agree sacking him right now is a bit extreme however the trophy shouldn't matter. Why should winning a trophy protect him from the sack? If he's not good enough at managing this team in the league which is still more vital than winning a cup (no matter how great the experience of winning the cup was) then he should be sacked. Saying he shouldn't be sacked because he won a cup is like saying don't sack the chef because 5 months ago he won The cleanest kitchen award and the fact he's a horrendous cook should be seen as a secondary factor as it might look bad if we sack him. As I've said he's had 3 years and he does not deserve much more than that.

blink.png

What if he won the worst analogy award?

Let's look at the 3 years. First major trophy in 26 years, best league finish in 25 years, playing some good football along the way.

I'm not sure what our fans expect. Seems to me he's shown promise in his management, and is gaining experience all the time. Very poor start to the season, but I think he's worth a while longer to see if he can turn the season around. At this early stage there is every chance we can, but we do desperately need a striker or two.