Next St Mirren Manager

Right, here's a thing.

Jimmy Calderwod.

Right now, these things don't matter.

1. His colour

2. His way of talking in TV interviews

3. The way his teams play.

This does matter.

Will our chances of staying up improve if he was given the manager's job tomorrow.

Of course we don't know for sure, but if the board believes our chances would be improved by even 1% then the answer has to be....... do it!

Right, here's a thing.

Jimmy Calderwod.

Right now, these things don't matter.

1. His colour

2. His way of talking in TV interviews

3. The way his teams play.

This does matter.

Will our chances of staying up improve if he was given the manager's job tomorrow.

Of course we don't know for sure, but if the board believes our chances would be improved by even 1% then the answer has to be....... do it!

Naw, dinnae do it.

He's shite and wid bankrupt us.

Do you believe staying up is better than going down? And FYI he'd have a hard job bankrupting us if he wasn't given any money to spend.

Calderwood with no money to spend = Dud !

Just like McCoist.

We Are Staying Up !

Not sure how much debt Dunfermline were in when Calderwood took over but by the time he left 5 years later they were £18m in debt... he took them to one cup final and got them 5th and 4th placed in the SPL. He had 5 years at Aberdeen and mostly had them in the top 6 each season (a novelty for the club after Ebbe and Steve Patterson) but by the time he left they were over £10m in debt. During his time at both clubs there is no doubt that he signed players on high wages and encouraged boards to spend and speculate to accumulate. Ultimately you could argue the boards should carry the blame for sanctioning the overspending(which was normal for the era as many clubs copied Murray's RFC model uncritically).

Calderwood was brought in by Killie and Ross County on short term contracts to help both clubs avoid relegation and succeeded both times but wasn't offered either gig longer term, and in Killie's case it was clear he was in dispute with the chairman over the budget he wanted for the following season if he had been put in charge.

He's now had a decent length of time out the game in Scotland, this might mean he has reconsidered his previous approach towards spending.

I think that for St Mirren it would make sense to appoint a manager who can improve and nurture young players from the youth team, someone with a track record for bringing through young players, realistically I think we are also looking for someone who can spot good young prospects in the lower leagues as well. I'm not sure Calderwood is a good fit for that remit.

Whilst like many I don't think Calderwood is the answer. If he could keep us up then fair enough. But has been point lets out Lennon us still in charge and will be until the board ha a spine transplant.

I suspect what we need is a manager who has contacts. Where his reputation can attract decent players we haven't had one of those for a long time I suspect that is key. Calderwood has contacts but!

Shull, why do you defend Danny so much ? He has had a disasterous year and now when we look in big bother you still say keep him. I feel sorry for him but to be honest I want to stay up and I think that 8 league wins in a calendar year is absolutely shocking. It's not good enough and what's the point persisting with this ? I don't want an argument just want to know why we should stick with the manager

Edited by norrie82

Shull. Yes he won the cup and gave us a great day out. Emphasis on the "day". A seasons lasts for 300 days. For most of those days we scent been very good. This has to be fixed and Dan the Man who may have a plan I don't think is that fellow.

While overall we've had a poor year to forget the other rather impressive wins BEFORE we won the cup is........................well, incorrect? blink.png

Not sure how much debt Dunfermline were in when Calderwood took over but by the time he left 5 years later they were £18m in debt... he took them to one cup final and got them 5th and 4th placed in the SPL. He had 5 years at Aberdeen and mostly had them in the top 6 each season (a novelty for the club after Ebbe and Steve Patterson) but by the time he left they were over £10m in debt. During his time at both clubs there is no doubt that he signed players on high wages and encouraged boards to spend and speculate to accumulate. Ultimately you could argue the boards should carry the blame for sanctioning the overspending(which was normal for the era as many clubs copied Murray's RFC model uncritically).

Calderwood was brought in by Killie and Ross County on short term contracts to help both clubs avoid relegation and succeeded both times but wasn't offered either gig longer term, and in Killie's case it was clear he was in dispute with the chairman over the budget he wanted for the following season if he had been put in charge.

He's now had a decent length of time out the game in Scotland, this might mean he has reconsidered his previous approach towards spending.

I think that for St Mirren it would make sense to appoint a manager who can improve and nurture young players from the youth team, someone with a track record for bringing through young players, realistically I think we are also looking for someone who can spot good young prospects in the lower leagues as well. I'm not sure Calderwood is a good fit for that remit.

When Calderwood was with Dunfermline & Aberdeen he was part of the spend, spend, spend culture, he wasn't alone and he did what he had to do to keep up with the pack - the point is his spells at these clubs are generally considered successful and the eventual fallout is not his fault

He was brought in to rescue Kilmarnock in 2010/11 and Ross County in 2011/12 when they were in precarious situations and both clubs avoided relegation, I don't recall him having vast sums of money to bring in new players at Kilmarnock and his appointment at County was after the transfer window closed - both of these spells would also have to be considered successful .

He wouldn't be my choice and I'd be disappointed to see him appointed on more than an end-of-the-season basis but he is probably the best option from the deadpool of ex-managers.

We're never going to attract a big-name manager and so the choice is generally going to be between going an old lag with a chequered record and an up-and-comer from a smaller club - I'd generally go with the latter.