Booing Your Team, Ffs!

Drew

I seldom start threads, and I slept on this before deciding to post it, but feel it had to be done.

The booing at HT and FT yesterday was a fucking embarrassment.

We had two players making their home debuts yesterday, and what a welcome they were given. Particularly grim, though, was to watch Cornell, Newton and a few forlorn others actually applauding the stands at the end to a chorus of booing. It was sickening.

Now, before anyone jumps in with the line that they've paid their money, and have a right to express how they feel, or the other old favourite about it being down to how passionate they feel about the club, blah....blah...blah, I'm simply stating my opinion on this matter.

If anyone actually believes that anything positive will be achieved by booing you own team off the park, then they need to have a long hard look at themselves. You don't have to be a psychologist to work it out. If the players and manager are already feeling the pressure and something is amiss at the club, then being subjected to this sort of teatment is going to achieve nothing good.

Whether you blame the manager, the players, or the BoD, all they will have heard collectively is booing. Indiscriminate booing. It is moronic.

To be honest, I reckon this type of behaviour is more likely to put people off coming along to SMP to take in a match than what is happening on the pitch. It has certainly made me glad for the international break.

Edited by Drew

I see the point Drew, but personally, although I hate booing during the game, I certainly don't mind it at all at the full time whistle, and I gave it plenty yesterday.

The boos for me were more aimed at the manager than the players. I am sure many were in the same boat.

I thought the support in the main yesterday were good in their backing of the team.

I see the point Drew, but personally, although I hate booing during the game, I certainly don't mind it at all at the full time whistle, and I gave it plenty yesterday.

The boos for me were more aimed at the manager than the players. I am sure many were in the same boat.

I thought the support in the main yesterday were good in their backing of the team.

Have you asked any of the players how they felt about it, Div?

As I've already said, all they hear is booing.

Quite hard to separate manager boos from player boos I would have thought?

I said something earlier about the effect this will have had on the new players, never mind the existing squad?

Didn't Isma have a hand in one of new signings? I'll be fcuked if this new boy has anything good to say to any other possible players in the future.

I've never felt the need to boo my team off the pitch, even after some shit displays.

Get out of the ground, bitch to other supporters, leave the players and management to deal with their performances.

No I haven't mate. I think the players will appreciate the backing they got during the game yesterday. I honestly don't think the fans could have done much more.

When Thistle equalised there was more an eerie silence in our end, a sense of the inevitable about what was going to happen. That may not have helped the team but it was entirely understandable given what we went through on Tuesday night when the same thing happened.

Get out of the ground, bitch to other supporters, leave the players and management to deal with their performances.

If you pay money for services or entertainment and feel you are not getting your monies worth do you not have the right to voice your dissatisfaction?

People have been cheering and booing at the football since its inception, kill that passion and we might as well play behind closed doors and watch it on the tv.

I really don't see any problem with booing especially at full time, given the nature of the result and mainly the performance.

I'd be a bit concerned if our players lost confidence for hearing the fans displeasure at their performance and our tactics. Saying that conceding appears to have that impact on them already.

No I haven't mate. I think the players will appreciate the backing they got during the game yesterday. I honestly don't think the fans could have done much more.

When Thistle equalised there was more an eerie silence in our end, a sense of the inevitable about what was going to happen. That may not have helped the team but it was entirely understandable given what we went through on Tuesday night when the same thing happened.

The eerie silence is fine and understandable Div. I have no issue with people being unhappy and deeply concerned with the way things are going, as I'm very much in that camp, but I fail to see what booing can achieve. Absolutely nothing positive, it seems to me.

Booing is moronic?

At least the fans are showing passion.

How do you suggest they display their feelings, organise an online petition?

Ah yes, I did predict the old passion line.

How do I suggest they express their feelings? I suggest they learn to regulate them if all they are going to do is make a bad situation even worse. We're not babies, FFS.

Unfortunately having been played off the park by a young energetic Thistle side and this on the back of defeats at Dingwall and QOS its only natural that there will be a "reaction" from the fans. What worries me is when are we going to get a "reaction" from the players ?

Signs yesterday were not good as we basically chucked it !

The only embarrassment I felt yesterday was the fact we were out fought, out thought and out played by a Thistle team on our own patch.

While I agree the booing doesn't help matters, how do you expect the supporters to react? Picture the scene at the final whistle, "Oh I say chaps well done, another humping and a fine spineless display, bring on the next 90 minutes of humiliation"

I seldom start threads, and I slept on this before deciding to post it, but feel it had to be done.

We had two players making their home debuts yesterday, and what a welcome they were given. Particularly grim, though, was to watch Cornell, Newton and a few forlorn others actually applauding the stands at the end to a chorus of booing. It was sickening.

Now, before anyone jumps in with the line that they've paid their money, and have a right to express how they feel, or the other old favourite about it being down to how passionate they feel about the club, blah....blah...blah, I'm simply stating my opinion on this matter.

If anyone actually believes that anything positive will be achieved by booing you own team off the park, then they need to have a long hard look at themselves. You don't have to be a psychologist to work it out. If the players and manager are already feeling the pressure and something is amiss at the club, then being subjected to this sort of teatment is going to achieve nothing good.

Whether you blame the manager, the players, or the BoD, all they will have heard collectively is booing. Indiscriminate booing. It is moronic.

To be honest, I reckon this type of behaviour is more likely to put people off coming along to SMP to take in a match than what is happening on the pitch. It has certainly made me glad for the international break.

I don't have an issue on making our feelings known at full time. There is an issue and as fans, the easiest way to show that we care is to let the players know, as long as the game is over. Apathy in this situation would be much worse. Booing a player or team during the match is completely different scenario and isn't going to help a player get their heads up.

Cornell applauded when we were leaving, I shouted over the barrier at him to keep his chin up, it was thanks to him we were still in that game as long as we were. I don't know if he understood me though, so apologies if it looked or sounded to him like he was getting abuse, I assure you though, he wasn't, not from me anyway.

The eerie silence is fine and understandable Div. I have no issue with people being unhappy and deeply concerned with the way things are going, as I'm very much in that camp, but I fail to see what booing can achieve. Absolutely nothing positive, it seems to me.

Ah yes, I did predict the old passion line.

How do I suggest they express their feelings? I suggest they learn to regulate them if all they are going to do is make a bad situation even worse. We're not babies, FFS.

They aren't babies either.

You shouldn't boo or abuse players or management during the game but after it c'mom.

If we show we don't give a shit then why should they

I didn't boo yesterday but don't have any issue with those who did at half time or full time.

Shouting and insulting players during the game, this just pisses them off and does not help one bit. It breaks there concentration and f**ks their confidence.

Edited by davidg

If we show we don't give a shit then why should they

We pay good money to go along, so I suspect that they know fine that we give a shit.

Put yourself in their position. If you were getting booed by strangers based on their perception of your performance, there is every chance that you might simply regard them as a shower of wankers, as opposed to lifting your head, acknowledging your shortcomings, and looking to atone in order to secure their approval in future. I struggle to see how hard this is to understand, but, as I've said already, it is merely my opinion, but I do believe the subject is ripe for debate (again....), and as such, I appreciate the responses.

Like everyone on here i am not happy about what I am watching at the moment. However I have a life that isn't dominated solely by SMFC and can put a display of poor football into context. Just like watching a bad movie.

Booing or abuse achieves absolutely nothing. Try being on the receiving end yourself and see if it motivates you. Really, try it. Get your mates to give you total shit and see how you feel. Does it motivate you, piss you off or alienate them from you?

Danny looks like a man close to the edge. The team lacks confidence. Try and remember the last time you felt down. What helped? Abuse or support? I am pretty sure they are aware there is a problem and are trying to sort it as best they can. If they do'nt the BOD will sort it.

If you cannot control your emotions then maybe going out in public isn't for you.

Edited by Sonny

I think as well that the booing at full time is really to let the board and the manager know that what we are seeing is not acceptable.

They know that, of course they do, but the level it got to yesterday tells them how many are pissed off, and it was the loudest I can remember in a long time.

The board aren't daft, they will do whatever they think is in the best longer term interests of the football club.

I think as well that the booing at full time is really to let the board and the manager know that what we are seeing is not acceptable.

They know that, of course they do, but the level it got to yesterday tells them how many are pissed off, and it was the loudest I can remember in a long time.

The board aren't daft, they will do whatever they think is in the best longer term interests of the football club.

That is two valid comments you have posted on this thread Div, except maybe the booing should be directed towards the players as well. On a side note there was one idiot behind me somewhere who booed when Cornell's name was announced before the game started.

Reading this thread and the hundreds of others which have sprung up recently has made me seriously wonder if I'm following the right team or even sport.

Grown adults who can't understand how to contain frustration.

Grown adults who GET so frustrated by a f**king football match that they scream and shout at kids.

Grown adults who think this is OK.

Grown adults who don't give a f**k that other people have paid who may just want to watch football and then go home without having their own and their kids ears ringing with words of poison.

For all of you who are taking football this seriously? Give up. Stop coming. You clearly hate the games and everybody else hates being next to you when you are in this state. Find another sport or follow Celtic. Learn to love life again. Then maybe come back occasionally. The club simply doesn't need you.

I'd like to see a demographic of those who boo and shout abuse at players and managers.

I expect it would be largely populated by those who genuinely feel they have or are failing in their own lives.

I genuinely believe that.

A balanced content and largely happy individual simply wouldn't feel the need to engage in abusing players.

Why would they? It doesn't make sense.

Edited by oaksoft

I still don't get the continued disregard and outright hatred for the keeper.

He's young, yes, but he';s a decent shot stopper, is a far better kicker than Samson, is good in the air and seems to have a decent command of his box.

What has he actually done wrong? Did he make a single mistake yesterday? Seems people are hounding him from what they were told in pre season.

I think he's a good goalkeeper.

He's young, yes, but he';s a decent shot stopper, is a far better kicker than Samson, is good in the air and seems to have a decent command of his box.

What has he actually done wrong? Did he make a single mistake yesterday? Seems people are hounding him from what they were told in pre season.

Its alright to boo, abuse, and spit venom dontcha know!

He was very solid yesterday and did everything that was asked of him, and more, whilst the keystone cops did their best to expose him to Thistle's attacks just about every time they ventured forward.

Anyone who thought he wasn't at least as good as Samson yesterday, if not better, is a deluded buffoon.

As I left the ground yesterday...a father and son were screaming at Cornell to go back to Swansea.

No idea what game they were watching.