Booing Your Team, Ffs!

Drew

As I left the ground yesterday...a father and son were screaming at Cornell to go back to Swansea.

No idea what game they were watching.

Jesus Christ, that just about sums up the mentality of the more cretinous element of our support.

I have never booed the players or the manager but I felt on hearing it yesterday that it was well justified. SG and Co need to know how dissatisfied we all are.

I'm surprised you're highlighting the booing to be honest Drew , when we drew at home with Elfsborg after beating them away in our first Euro venture , the players were booed off and some reacted none to kindly. Booing has , and always will be , part of the home game experience in Paisley !

I have never booed the players or the manager but I felt on hearing it yesterday that it was well justified. SG and Co need to know how dissatisfied we all are.

I'm surprised you're highlighting the booing to be honest Drew , when we drew at home with Elfsborg after beating them away in our first Euro venture , the players were booed off and some reacted none to kindly. Booing has , and always will be , part of the home game experience in Paisley !

Too true Billy, but it doesn't make it right. I am as pissed off with the abuse as the performances.

Fair enough Billy, but it stayed with me well beyond the final whistle and the journey home.

I simply don't get it, and there isn't anything that has been presented on here this morning that has altered this view.

Each to their own, I suppose, but I find it pretty grim to hear, so I can only begin to imagine how it affects those to whom it is directed (and, as I say, when a loud chorus of booing is heard, I'm not sure that it is reasonable to expect the players or anyone else to distinguish where it is aimed).

Edited by Drew

No I haven't mate. I think the players will appreciate the backing they got during the game yesterday. I honestly don't think the fans could have done much more.

When Thistle equalised there was more an eerie silence in our end, a sense of the inevitable about what was going to happen. That may not have helped the team but it was entirely understandable given what we went through on Tuesday night when the same thing happened.

I thought the eerie silence kicked in when we went 1 up to be honest and said as much to my mates. I think as much the players didn't know what to do when 1 up neither did the fans.

As I left the ground yesterday...a father and son were screaming at Cornell to go back to Swansea.

No idea what game they were watching.

This comes from the goalkeeper bashing that seemed to start because he took time to settle in during pre-season. He did nothing wrong that whole game and saved us from a bigger hiding.

The worst think I heard yesterday was someone in the west stand who told Caprice with 5 minutes left to 'F**k off back to Blackpool'. Caprice absolutely heard it as did the Thistle players by their reaction. Poor lad looked stunned. Guys in front then had an argument with him about it. Grim.

Booing at full time is acceptable. We gave the team good support through the game, but the fans want the board/manager and others to know that what we've been seeing is not acceptable.

Reading this thread and the hundreds of others which have sprung up recently has made me seriously wonder if I'm following the right team or even sport.

Grown adults who can't understand how to contain frustration.

Grown adults who GET so frustrated by a f**king football match that they scream and shout at kids.

Grown adults who think this is OK.

Grown adults who don't give a f**k that other people have paid who may just want to watch football and then go home without having their own and their kids ears ringing with words of poison.

For all of you who are taking football this seriously? Give up. Stop coming. You clearly hate the games and everybody else hates being next to you when you are in this state. Find another sport or follow Celtic. Learn to love life again. Then maybe come back occasionally. The club simply doesn't need you.

I'd like to see a demographic of those who boo and shout abuse at players and managers.

I expect it would be largely populated by those who genuinely feel they have or are failing in their own lives.

I genuinely believe that.

A balanced content and largely happy individual simply wouldn't feel the need to engage in abusing players.

Why would they? It doesn't make sense.

I don't think booing at full time is "abusing" anyone.

There are always some eejits that take it to a personal level and even do it during the games, but that has been happening at St.Mirren home matches for all of the 35 years I have been following this team. Doesn't make it right of course, but we are not unique in this, every club has eejits that follow it.

The booing at full time was fully justified IMO. Just like the spaniards wave white hankies to show their displeasure the Scots boo. Get over it, it's no big deal !

The worst think I heard yesterday was someone in the west stand who told Caprice with 5 minutes left to 'F**k off back to Blackpool'. Caprice absolutely heard it as did the Thistle players by their reaction. Poor lad looked stunned. Guys in front then had an argument with him about it. Grim.

....We gave the team good support through the game.

I must be missing something here.

I still don't get the continued disregard and outright hatred for the keeper.

He's young, yes, but he';s a decent shot stopper, is a far better kicker than Samson, is good in the air and seems to have a decent command of his box.

What has he actually done wrong? Did he make a single mistake yesterday? Seems people are hounding him from what they were told in pre season.

I think he's a good goalkeeper.

Agree with that. I was critical of Cornell earlier in the season but the two games I saw him this week he played really well.

There are always some eejits that take it to a personal level and even do it during the games, but that has been happening at St.Mirren home matches for all of the 35 years I have been following this team. Doesn't make it right of course, but we are not unique in this, every club has eejits that follow it.

The booing at full time was fully justified IMO. Just like the spaniards wave white hankies to show their displeasure the Scots boo. Get over it, it's no big deal !

It's not me that needs to get over it. It's the players.

Ask them what effect booing has.

You could particularly aim that question at the younger guys in the squad.

Thought considering the horrible run of form we are on the booing was quite muted yesterday, certainly where I was in the main stand.

Could have been a lot worse.

Think if we had been horsed 4-0 Danny would already be out of a job but as we were winning with ten minutes to go no one quite knew how to react.

I think this is the main point that people have failed to answer.

I'd be very interested to hear what some of the younger players have to say about the booing.

Booing players during game - unacceptable.

Booing them after the game - perfectly understandable.

The players wanted, and got, encouragement during the match itself. I sat in W2 and didn't hear anything but encouragement from the vast majority, apart from the lad over there who abuses the team even when we are winning.

I still don't get the continued disregard and outright hatred for the keeper.

He's young, yes, but he';s a decent shot stopper, is a far better kicker than Samson, is good in the air and seems to have a decent command of his box.

What has he actually done wrong? Did he make a single mistake yesterday? Seems people are hounding him from what they were told in pre season.

I think he's a good goalkeeper.

This.

hands up .I was one who was booing at the end of the game,my reason for the said booing was to alert the b.o.d as to my lack of patience with the current situation at our club ,not only is it 3 defeats in a week which being a st Mirren supporter will happen more frequently than to most teams in premiership,if 3 games had been say sellic,aberdeen and utd,who I suspect have seriously bigger budgets than ours,most on here will accept this ,but the fact we have been outplayed passed fought by firstly a county team that have had just as bad a start as us,secondly by a team who won the 2 nd division last year ,and yesterday by the team who won promotion and are playing their 5th game in the top division for years ,so there you go I was booing to let them know that I think we deserve better than what we are being asked to endure

We could twirl our scarves if not happy...added bonus of the scarves in front blocking our view. None of the first half was due to booing or shouts, it was down to a lack of preparation, lack of organisation, rubbish tactics, a Manager who just doesn't know and a group of players lacking confidence at best.

I never have bood my team and never will.

That said, I do understand the frustration and boos st the end of the match.

The booing at half time was well out of order imo and totally uncalled for.

Nah...fully called for. Go in to a booing you should have enough about you to look at yourself and put a shift in. You should know and understand that the people who pay your wages and give you a life in sport are unhappy. Each player should be their own harshest critic, too many pampered poor wee souls out there.

hands up .I was one who was booing at the end of the game,my reason for the said booing was to alert the b.o.d as to my lack of patience with the current situation at our club ,not only is it 3 defeats in a week which being a st Mirren supporter will happen more frequently than to most teams in premiership,if 3 games had been say sellic,aberdeen and utd,who I suspect have seriously bigger budgets than ours,most on here will accept this ,but the fact we have been outplayed passed fought by firstly a county team that have had just as bad a start as us,secondly by a team who won the 2 nd division last year ,and yesterday by the team who won promotion and are playing their 5th game in the top division for years ,so there you go I was booing to let them know that I think we deserve better than what we are being asked to endure

How could the players (I'm thinking in particular about the younger lads and the new signings) know that you weren't booing them, though?

Do you honestly think that the BoD are so naive and lacking in insight as to not know how pissed off the support must be at present? Of course they know. Which begs the question (again), what is being achieved by the booing? Did it make you feel better?

Edited by Drew

And booing them off the pitch will help how?  Because there is every chance that this is what they took it for.

How else should people display their displeasure at performances? We can't all stop going, certainly shouldn't take it home.

In honesty, I don't want players with such poor character that a wee bit of booing sends them under Danny's apron. They need to man up, they chose this profession over ones with actual pressure. They get half days every day, plenty time to watch football clips and work on their game. It's not been good enough for months, if Hearts had put their chances away in the Final the squad would have nothing to live off of.

How else should people display their displeasure at performances? We can't all stop going, certainly shouldn't take it home.

In honesty, I don't want players with such poor character that a wee bit of booing sends them under Danny's apron. They need to man up, they chose this profession over ones with actual pressure. They get half days every day, plenty time to watch football clips and work on their game. It's not been good enough for months, if Hearts had put their chances away in the Final the squad would have nothing to live off of.

Whether or not we think they should 'man-up', we are relying on these guys to do the business for us, and anything that could adversely affect their confidence (which you've already pointed out seems low) cannot be a good thing.

I'm not being overly soft or sentimental here. In fact, I'm being quite hard-headed. What I care most about is my club being successful, not the feelings of the players. As such, I wouldn't be indulging in any sort of behaviours that could possibly undermine the club progressing in a positive way. I simply cannot imagine how booing could have a positive impact.

I do think the board are naive as they will continue with lennon as not to have to pay him off,(this is the only reason he is still in a job)they run the club as they see fit but majority of supporters who go to games are not happy with the team and performances as they have shown with said booing,i also think the players have enough savvy to realise its lennon the fans are booing as they can only go out and do what they are instructed to do,so what you are saying is that the people who are booing as we are not happy are wrong while you are right you are not really getting the concept of a forum are you never mind free speech

I do think the board are naive as they will continue with lennon as not to have to pay him off,(this is the only reason he is still in a job)they run the club as they see fit but majority of supporters who go to games are not happy with the team and performances as they have shown with said booing,i also think the players have enough savvy to realise its lennon the fans are booing as they can only go out and do what they are instructed to do,so what you are saying is that the people who are booing as we are not happy are wrong while you are right you are not really getting the concept of a forum are you never mind free speech

I don't think you're describing naviety on the part of the BoD there, to be fair.

We've heard two sorry tales today of Caprice being abused ("go back to Blackpool", FFS!) and Cornell being subjected to similar jibes from the stands. These might be relatively isolated incidents, but don't you think it is just possible that they'll perceive the booing as an extension of this? Sadly, I fear they might.