What Would Be Your First Choice Xi And Formation ?

div

Unfortunately our inform players at the moment dont make up the best starting 11/ formation. Long ball for thommo to flick onto bahoken will get us goals (if bahoken gains some composure) but it means theres not much room for teale, gowser or harkins, who have been some of our better performers so far this season. Id like to see how wed have faired second half on saturday had we went the same but swtiched newton for caprice, kept harkins on and subbed thommo instead of bahoken. Think thommos lost some pace to be playing the lone striker

Interesting that a lot of people are pushing Goodwin up to sit in front of the back four, that's what I would do.... One of the reasons our defence is so bad is because they are left exposed time and again. Our first aim has to be to make ourselves hard to beat and that needs to be built on a strong defence and holding midfielder if we can do that it will give our attacking players the platform to start doing what they should be doing which is causing the other team problems!

This. This this this.

Absolutely no team in the world should take the field without a spoiler at the base of midfield. It's the most under-rated position in football yet the most important. Even the very best Spanish and Brazilian national teams know you can't just pass it all the time - occasionally you need to get the ball back, or disrupt the flow, etc. Dunga, Deschamps, Senna, Busquets, Makelele, Keane, Viera... they've all been the hard (ish) bastard sitting front of the defence for very successful teams.

In terms of the rest of the formation, I couldn't give a shit. It's all much the same anyway, but we've been spineless for feckin ages. We let Murray go, and turned Goodwin into a centre half, and since then it's been shite.

Goodwin is spread too thinly where he is - I think Lennon's trying to get him to play two roles at once. He needs to be pushed forward, be a spoiler, pick up some yellow cards, and wind the opposition up, without worrying about marshalling the defence, too.

I’ve been thinking about this and I really don’t think you can play Goodwin in midfield anymore. Let’s be honest, he wasn’t really that good there anyway and I wouldn’t be confident he could last a whole game without being red carded. His passing and pace isn’t good enough for midfield anymore.

Then when you look at the goals we have conceded recently it’s clear the defence isn’t up to scratch. The question is would the team be better with no Goodwin at all? There certainly weren’t any signs of leadership on Saturday. What about this:

Cornell

Van Zanten, McGregor, Mair, Grainger

Newton, McGinn, McLean

Teale, McGowan,

Thommo.

McGinn would be the deepest of the midfield and Teale and McGowan would be free to roam about. When we lost the ball on Saturday McGinn was up against three Thistle midfielders as Newton was right and McLean was left. Harkins was in the car park I think. A tight 3 with McGinn lying deepest would adequately protect your defence in my opinion. (So much so that you might even be able to put Goodwin back there)

With the players at our disposal I would be tempted to go with a 5-3--2 formation with Grainger and Caprice working the flanks and a wee bit of help for them by Teale and McGinn. McGinn certainly proved he could do this in the cup games. I'm sure Gary could do likewise.

It would also allow for Goodwin's wee forays into midfield.

Cornell

Caprice McGregor Goodwin McAusland Grainger

Teale McGowan/Harkins McGinn

Thomson Bahoken

Edited by stlucifer

Cornell

Caprice McGregor Goodwin McAusland Grainger

Teale McGowan/Harkins McGinn

Thomson Bahoken

Quite close to what I'd like to see next game.

I'd give Caprice and McGregor starts at the back because I thought Van Zanten and McAusland made really basic mistakes time after time Saturday. Prefer Goodwin with Newton in front of the defence but needs must. He had some dodgy moments too Saturday but I think he got caught out of postion several times purely and simply because he got into the habit of moving automatically to cover DVZ and McAusland expecting mistakes. Newtonhad a poor one (who wasn't) but at least looked annoyed at himself and tried chasing down his mistakes. Bahoken - evidence wasn't great that he was the strong pacy talent we hoped for but guy was hours off the plane so for time being I guess we play him and keep our fingers crossed.

Cornell

Caprice McGregor Goodwin Grainger

Teale Newton McGowan Harkins

Thomson Bahoken

Quite close to what I'd like to see next game.

I'd give Caprice and McGregor starts at the back because I thought Van Zanten and McAusland made really basic mistakes time after time Saturday. Prefer Goodwin with Newton in front of the defence but needs must. He had some dodgy moments too Saturday but I think he got caught out of postion several times purely and simply because he got into the habit of moving automatically to cover DVZ and McAusland expecting mistakes. Newtonhad a poor one (who wasn't) but at least looked annoyed at himself and tried chasing down his mistakes. Bahoken - evidence wasn't great that he was the strong pacy talent we hoped for but guy was hours off the plane so for time being I guess we play him and keep our fingers crossed.

Cornell

Caprice McGregor Goodwin Grainger

Teale Newton McGowan Harkins

Thomson Bahoken

I think you're being overly harsh on Marc. I felt that he too was guilty of trying to cover the very ineffectual Van Zanten and this left space in the middle which, contrary to what others say, I thought Goodwin made a real go at protecting.

The great thing about footie though is that it can really be all about opinions.

I know as much about football management as any of the other armchair experts on here, but for what it's worth I think my first eleven would be this:-

Cornell

Caprice McAusland Goodwin Grainger

McGregor

Newton McLean

Teale McGowan

Thommo

I think McGregor could really do a job protecting the back four - he's a bit quicker than Goodwin and more likely to look to pass the ball forward once he gets it. As far as I know, this is a role he often played before coming to Saints. He would bring much-needed solidity to the midfield and give Newton and McLean a base to build on. It's difficult to accommodate both McLean and McGinn, but I think McLean is the more effective through the middle and more likely to offer Thommo real support so I'd start with him. It's not ideal to have McGowan on the left, but he can beat a man and might be able to provide a creative spark from that side, not necessarily as a winger but by cutting in and causing problems that way. I think he is too easily crowded out as a central AM and too far from the front line when he's played as a deep-lying playmaker.

McGinn would be my choice to replace Newton, McLean or McGowan. Harkins would be an option instead of McGowan, or as a secondary striker. Bahoken would be Thommo's understudy, or a second striker.

Alternative eleven:-

Cornell

Van Zanten McAusland Mair Grainger

McGregor

McGinn

Caprice Harkins

Bahoken

Thomson

I've clutched at a few straws with these selections because, to be honest, I think the main issues are lack of movement, slack passing, lightweight midfield, poor communication, lack of clear purpose and an absence of dig and bottle and I'm not sure moving some of the players about a bit can sort that.

I know as much about football management as any of the other armchair experts on here, but for what it's worth I think my first eleven would be this:-

Cornell

Caprice McAusland Goodwin Grainger

McGregor

Newton McLean

Teale McGowan

Thommo

I think McGregor could really do a job protecting the back four - he's a bit quicker than Goodwin and more likely to look to pass the ball forward once he gets it. As far as I know, this is a role he often played before coming to Saints. He would bring much-needed solidity to the midfield and give Newton and McLean a base to build on. It's difficult to accommodate both McLean and McGinn, but I think McLean is the more effective through the middle and more likely to offer Thommo real support so I'd start with him. It's not ideal to have McGowan on the left, but he can beat a man and might be able to provide a creative spark from that side, not necessarily as a winger but by cutting in and causing problems that way. I think he is too easily crowded out as a central AM and too far from the front line when he's played as a deep-lying playmaker.

McGinn would be my choice to replace Newton, McLean or McGowan. Harkins would be an option instead of McGowan, or as a secondary striker. Bahoken would be Thommo's understudy, or a second striker.

Alternative eleven:-

Cornell

Van Zanten McAusland Mair Grainger

McGregor

McGinn

Caprice Harkins

Bahoken

Thomson

I've clutched at a few straws with these selections because, to be honest, I think the main issues are lack of movement, slack passing, lightweight midfield, poor communication, lack of clear purpose and an absence of dig and bottle and I'm not sure moving some of the players about a bit can sort that.

Think you covered just about everything mate ,where did you buy your armchair.

after 4 pages its very interesting to note that only 1 or 2 ,think that our current 2 centre halfs should start together ,i know you are watching danny so please heed the information ,also if you are keeping 1 at centre half can you make it Goodwin ...please please please please please ,director son or not it you don't lose your job for being a shit manager lose it for being a man and stand up to cheesys dad go on

after 4 pages its very interesting to note that only 1 or 2 ,think that our current 2 centre halfs should start together ,i know you are watching danny so please heed the information ,also if you are keeping 1 at centre half can you make it Goodwin ...please please please please please ,director son or not it you don't lose your job for being a shit manager lose it for being a man and stand up to cheesys dad go on

And so the vendetta goes on.....and on........and on............and on

Manager: Danny Lennon

Assistant: Tommy Craig

More than happy to let them chose the starting XI and subs and formation and tactics.

My job: to encourage the manager and players when the chips are down rather than say everything about the club is shit when it is not.

Agree, you can tell by the amount of formations and starting elevens on here that you can't run a football team by committee. We can't even agree on the problem, some say Thommo can't play up front on his own, or DL can't accommodate Gowser and Harkins, or we don't have a natural holding mid since Goodwin went to back 4 (which is either his best or worst position depending on who you speak to), or DVZ's too old and of course if you listen to gstretchuk then cheesy should be taken out and shot.

Good luck Danny and COYS

The first this thing that needs sorted is defence...get rid of Van Zanten and Mcausland...vanzy decent enough in his day but now struggling...cheesy always been a problem...positionally not a clue and leaves team exposed..get rid now....to go forward u got to start at the back...

I know we're good, but starting with only 9 men and only 2 defenders seems like madness to me.