Does Your Opinion Matter? Think For A Minute

Just a thought, the membership of this forum seems to be split between 3 camps

• those who are campaigning to have DL unseated
  • those who defend him or think that any change just now is liable to be worse for St Mirren
  • those who are enjoying the associated carnage and are happily winding both sides up

If you look at the poll, maybe 3-5% of the regular and committed saints support have expressed a view one way or another. The silent majority really is truly massive in comparison and my thoughts are that most of them have seen it all before, are taking it all in their stride and are waiting for events to unfold rather than seeking to influence them.

We should all be aware that the direction that the threads are taking us in looks like a civil war to those sitting outside. Trouble is, those sitting outside include the players and the media. I doubt many others are looking in. the players will be horribly discouraged by what they read on here and the media will be stoking up for a field day at our expense in the near future. I have to ask, what is the point of the DL must go campaign? the board are sitting tight and their support for the manager is lukewarm at best. For as long as he is there then they are not under attack and it wont take many saints wins to put Hearts under extreme pressure at the bottom-if they make it to Christmas.

My point is, the constant campaigning is incredibly damaging and the campaigners cant claim the support of the majority on this. the only things they are doing is damaging the confidence of the players and turning off potential fans and players alike.

By all means, criticise tactics and selection, suggest different options if you want and debate it all to death, but please delete the calls for sackings and abuse of the staff before you post your thoughts. The forum has influence way beyond what it's member numbers warrant and I think that power is not being very wisely used just now

It's hard to disagree with any of this.

The trouble is that those wanting Danny out are so consumed by what they personally want that they genuinely don't care about anyone or anything else anymore.

They are doing what they can to have their personal voice heard regardless of the undoubted damage it's doing to our players confidence.

A week of work by Danny can be undone in a few seconds if any player is stupid enough to come in here for a quick read.

I'm out of ideas of how to stop the stupidity.

It would be easier to switch off the internet.

• those who defend him or think that any change just now is liable to be worse for St Mirren
  • those who are enjoying the associated carnage and are happily winding both sides up

If you look at the poll, maybe 3-5% of the regular and committed saints support have expressed a view one way or another. The silent majority really is truly massive in comparison and my thoughts are that most of them have seen it all before, are taking it all in their stride and are waiting for events to unfold rather than seeking to influence them.

We should all be aware that the direction that the threads are taking us in looks like a civil war to those sitting outside. Trouble is, those sitting outside include the players and the media. I doubt many others are looking in. the players will be horribly discouraged by what they read on here and the media will be stoking up for a field day at our expense in the near future. I have to ask, what is the point of the DL must go campaign? the board are sitting tight and their support for the manager is lukewarm at best. For as long as he is there then they are not under attack and it wont take many saints wins to put Hearts under extreme pressure at the bottom-if they make it to Christmas.

My point is, the constant campaigning is incredibly damaging and the campaigners cant claim the support of the majority on this. the only things they are doing is damaging the confidence of the players and turning off potential fans and players alike.

By all means, criticise tactics and selection, suggest different options if you want and debate it all to death, but please delete the calls for sackings and abuse of the staff before you post your thoughts. The forum has influence way beyond what it's member numbers warrant and I think that power is not being very wisely used just now

I think probably everybody here will enjoy the wholesome sentiment of this post, and the majority will probably agree...I think it's pretty unrealistic however to have the posts on the forum reflect this as a general rule...essentially...there are ALWAYS going to be questions asked of the manager, and there is ALWAYS going to be a camp that is dead set on having the manager removed hastily...this camp is ALWAYS going to be the most vocal...swimming against a tide unfortunately dude...

I think you are right in saying the forum represents a small majority of the St.Mirren supporters. Most of my mates never post on here, but they do read it from time to time.

It's here to give St.Mirren fans a chance to voice their opinions and debate what is happening at the club.

Opinions and feelings are running high at the moment, but actually this can also be when the forum is at it's best. There are lots of genuine points being made in between some of the less desirable stuff.

The trouble is that those wanting Danny out are so consumed by what they personally want that they genuinely don't care about anyone or anything else anymore.

They are doing what they can to have their personal voice heard regardless of the undoubted damage it's doing to our players confidence.

A week of work by Danny can be undone in a few seconds if any player is stupid enough to come in here for a quick read.

A couple of points, 'those wanting Danny out are so consumed by what they want' most fans want the team to give 100% and win at least one in five games. Fans wanted Gus out because he couldn't achieve this either, fans are fickle, it's the nature of being a supporter.

The second point, we don't live in china, the Internet is a fairly democratic tool, you might not agree with others views but their as valid as yours.

Finally, I would be very surprised and disappointed if Danny's influence on the team could be ruined by what is in effect the modern day version of the pub discussion around your football team. I,m really only interested in the bigger picture, survival in the league, I don't care who is the manager, going by current and last season league form, something needs to change and quickly.

They shouldn't be on here, it's that bloody simple.

A couple of points, 'those wanting Danny out are so consumed by what they want' most fans want the team to give 100% and win at least one in five games. Fans wanted Gus out because he couldn't achieve this either, fans are fickle, it's the nature of being a supporter.

The second point, we don't live in china, the Internet is a fairly democratic tool, you might not agree with others views but their as valid as yours.

Finally, I would be very surprised and disappointed if Danny's influence on the team could be ruined by what is in effect the modern day version of the pub discussion around your football team. I,m really only interested in the bigger picture, survival in the league, I don't care who is the manager, going by current and last season league form, something needs to change and quickly.

I would agree that with the validity of points of view but the difference on these type of sites as far as democracy is concerned is "pseudonymity" which negates, or at least deflects, real opinion.

And it tends to be the disenfrachised who use subversive methods in an attempt to add credance to their stance..

You didn't mean to do this I'm sure, but that sentence epitomises the problem we're in just now. We're already thinking about staying above a team which started fully FIFTEEN points behind us and has a handful of recognised top-flight players in its ranks. And we're only four games into our league campaign. We should not be looking down once this season, but our current players and manager have got us doing exactly that. Something has to change and that's why people are calling for that to happen.

You didn't mean to do this I'm sure, but that sentence epitomises the problem we're in just now. We're already thinking about staying above a team which started fully FIFTEEN points behind us and has a handful of recognised top-flight players in its ranks. And we're only four games into our league campaign. We should not be looking down once this season, but our current players and manager have got us doing exactly that. Something has to change and that's why people are calling for that to happen.

Well that's right

That's right

That's right

That's right....

Agree with your post but where the hell are the wins coming from? Historical statistics suggest we won't have many wins before Christmas!

Agree with your post but where the hell are the wins coming from? Historical statistics suggest we won't have many wins before Christmas!

Do you even watch football? That is such a patently ludicrous statement that it does beg the question.

Football played in the future doesn't ever depend on results from the past. Why would it?

Historical statistics would suggest we'd never win another Cup but we did.

History says we should never beat Celtic and certainly not at Hampden but we did it.

History says ICT shouldn't top the league but they are doing so.

History is nothing in football. Nothing whatsoever.

You are also forgetting our 6 defeats in a row last season when there was a chorus of this question about where wins would come from.

I seem to be the only one who can remember what happened next.

We need one win. Not 5 consecutive wins, not 3 not 4. Just one.

From that one win we see what effect that has and take it from there.

Virtually every club goes through this phase of not wining and virtually every club including ourselves always turns it around and puts a run together.

History tells us that. So there's one thing history is decent for.....

Historical figures also showed that we were unlikely to win the league cup but lo and behold we bloody well went on and did this. 4 games into the season and almost 4 months until Christmas and you are worried we will not have many wins. A lot can happen in 4 months with or without the current manager and all teams have a purple patch at some time - even us now and again. If the historical statistics come to the fore then it is unlikely that things will continue as they are - management wise. I have faith that we will turn things around once the new guys are bedded in and fitness levels improve.

Edited by nedflanders123

Do you even watch football? That is such a patently ludicrous statement that it does beg the question.

Football played in the future doesn't ever depend on results from the past. Why would it?

Historical statistics would suggest we'd never win another Cup but we did.

History says we should never beat Celtic and certainly not at Hampden but we did it.

History says ICT shouldn't top the league but they are doing so.

History is nothing in football. Nothing whatsoever.

You are also forgetting our 6 defeats in a row last season when there was a chorus of this question about where wins would come from.

I seem to be the only one who can remember what happened next.

We need one win. Not 5 consecutive wins, not 3 not 4. Just one.

From that one win we see what effect that has and take it from there.

Virtually every club goes through this phase of not wining and virtually every club including ourselves always turns it around and puts a run together.

History tells us that. So there's one thing history is decent for.....

Well, I do watch St Mirren. So that sort of answers your first question.

I don't just mean scorelines. I was also talking about possession, shots, shots on target, and the rest. Well aware stats lie but if we take the latest match - we had 36% possession vs PT. And less shots, less shots on target etc etc.

Anyway, if we keep DL and win against Motherwell, or Hibs, or the next match, then that's great. All I am saying is it doesn't look hopeful - at this stage.

Sorry LS, but you live in a bubble if you believe that supporters won't stand up and criticise the manager when he is trying hard but barely succeeding.

I've said it before and others have quoted the stats - our win record over a long period is terrible not just this season, last season too. 9 wins in 38 games and the second worst goal average in the league. That is one win in four. We had 14 draws that's one draw in 2.7 games. The stats don't lie. The League Cup win papered over the cracks - that's the reality- the bread and butter of the league was unsuccessful. This year we are now 4 games into this league campaign and we have one draw and no wins and by far the worst goal average in the league and we have Celtic to play at Darkhead.

Yes you can tell me I'm just being a knicker-wetter or a negative influence - However it's reality.

Saints fans want to see progress we don't want to be fighting relegation year on year and we see others making that progress. Please just remember the team in second bottom spot goes into play-offs with the three in the 2nd tier and right now watching that performance on Saturday gives me little or no confidence that progress is being made anywhere on the pitch.

Sorry Mr Lennon - you've lost my confidence in you - I sincerely wanted you to succeed, but events are over-taking you at a fast pace.

I must say, that's pretty presumptious!

All of us don't want this situation we find ourselves in and its hard for me to see DL take the flac but when you see the body language of each camp when they scored on Saturday, it tells a story.

It's equally dangerous to the club to continually flog a dead horse. I think its time you got your head out of the sand.

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

Usual presumptuous guff from you on the first point. I don't agree with a lot of what the "Lennon Out" guys are saying but I do know several of them and they care deeply about this club. Why don't you stick to sharing your opinions on how YOU feel and let others speak for themselves?

On the second point, you could switch yours off anytime. Trust me, no loss.

Is finishing 11th good enough. Not for me it's to not for a minute

I think you are right in saying the forum represents a small majority of the St.Mirren supporters. Most of my mates never post on here, but they do read it from time to time.

It's here to give St.Mirren fans a chance to voice their opinions and debate what is happening at the club.

Opinions and feelings are running high at the moment, but actually this can also be when the forum is at it's best. There are lots of genuine points being made in between some of the less desirable stuff.

Well said. well said indeed.

This forum is a great platform that allows any supporter of our fine club (who has internet access) to express an opinion, read the thoughts of others and to debate or converse with other supporters of our fine club. The baseless statistic quoted by the original poster is (in my opinion) absolute nonsense.

The forum may only be used by a section of our clubs supporters but that section are a good representation of the support as a whole. I know many, many supporters of our fine club who cannot even use the internet (I can only because I took a course at my local community centre in 2003) and the overwhelming feeling amongst my group of friends is that Mr Daniel Lennon has lost the trust of the support. That is what I hear from my peers and is also exactly what I read on this fine forum of ours.

I thoroughly enjoy this forum and I will defend it against such baseless nonsensical claptrap. Also if professional footballers at our club are likely to read a post on an internet forum and then by upset by it then we need our professional's to "man up".

In conclusion

Where I sit at the ground the overwhelming feeling expressed by those around me is that Daniel Lennon "husnae got it".

Amongst my peer group the overwhelming feeling is that "Wee Danny should go non, his tea is oot".

The balance of opinion of this fine forum is clear that Mr Daniel Lennon has lost the trust of the support and the wish of that support is that he should leave forthwith.

Unless I am not really a supporter of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co but attending some other football match where everyone pretends to be Saint Mirren players and supporters and everyone I know lies to me (both in real life and on the internet) then the balance of opinion amongst our supporters is as exactly as expressed on this fine forum.

In my day supporters would stand and sing things like "Hay must go" or "Bone must go" (I pick those two as many of you will remember doing that) as the internet did not exist. Would the original poster prefer that our support returned to this form of expression rather than use this fine forum?

This forum is great and do not make up statistics as most people are generally not fooled by them!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Beyond Our Ken but our opinions may not matter in the real world outside of this forum but we still have them. It does not matter if others dont agree with them as that is what the forum is all about and to ask people to think about what they say as it may influence players or the media is simply wrong.

If anyone has any issues with what people post on this forum there are facilities to report them or block them. I have many guys on Ignore simply because they seem only to come on here and rip the piss out of others or they think that they are super fans and the rest of us are stunned. I have no doubt I am also on many other peoples ignore list and that is only to be expected.

Let us not forget what the forum is about wether we agree with what has been said or not. SMTID