Too Nice ?

First post although I have lurked for months.Just wondering after watching all saints games this season if it is possible to be too nice to be a successful manager ?.Having met DL on numerous occasions , he does seem a genuinely nice guy.Got me too thinking that maybe that is part of the problem.Players who play under a manager I.e Ferguson, Mclean , and countless others knew if they did not perform well they would get the hairdryer treatment .I do not know what goes on in the dressing room but the players don't seem to be worried about it.As I said I dont know everything but do feel that some of the players need a manager who would strike the fear of god into them if they didn't at least give 100% every game .

I know it needs to be a happy medium Eddy but I just cant imagine Danny giving a deserved rollicking after some of the performances, but as I say I could be wrong

I think you're on to something. My perception is that he's more inclined to go in a huff than administer the hair dryer treatment.

I had a chat with Dougie Imrie towards the end of last season. The inference was that he knew he was out of favour because Danny had basically stopped communicating with him. This is also suggested in the interview in the paper with Robertson.

A one sided perspective I know, and it could be incorrect. If it were true though its no way to motivate your team.

Edited by Jumbo Whiffy

I think you're on to something. My perception is that he's more inclined to go in a huff than administer the hair dryer treatment.

I had a chat with Dougie Imrie towards the end of last season. The inference was that he knew he was out of favour because Danny had basically stopped communicating with him. This is also suggested in the interview in the paper with Robertson.

A one sided perspective I know, and it could be incorrect. If it were true though its no way to motivate your team.

Hasn't it been suggested on here that this is also what happened with Craig Samson?

In over 45 years of supporting my beloved Saints, Davy Hay was quite possibly the worst manager of all. The man was a complete imposter and managed to inflict more damage to our club than you could imagine.

That era did give rise to the funniest newspaper headline I can remember in Saints terms after a late season dooing at home from Hearts the Sunday Mail (I think) had the match report under a headline HAY, HAY WE'RE THE MONKEYS !

He really is a nice guy but he's a ruthless manager when he needs to be. Just look at how he's happy to get rid of players before the end of their contracts if they are not giving 100% for our club.

I think he's a good manager but just lacks the tactical sense to win more than one game on the bounce at the moment. That comes with time. Will we give him it?

We hear too often Lennon is a lovely man. We never hear that he actually is ruthless in the dressing room.

To be honest my issue isn't really that he is lovely as opposed to be tactically inept. He has assembled a decent squad of talented players, however he needs to assemble a team. Where different individuals perform a variety of roles. They can't all be ball playing midfielders, someone needs to win the ball.

He can't be nice, he needs to good. If p

Goods no use, then lucky will do.

I think he's a good manager but just lacks the tactical sense to win more than one game on the bounce at the moment. That comes with time. Will we give him it?

Winning more than one game on the bounce?! Emm... We haven't won any games this season, we are one of only two full time teams in the nation without a win this term. He's struggling to win a game.

Played 5, drawn 1, lost 4. Scored 3 conceded 10.

It's an absolutely terrible start to the season, particularly when you look at the opposition we've faced in those 5 games.

The OP makes some good points. Danny Lennon is a very nice personable individual. I also think he is too nice for his own good when it comes to football management.

I think in football terms there is alot to be said for the fear style of management. Gary Neville describes how Alex Ferguson used intimidation to get the best out of his players in his book. The players were terrified of going into the dressing room if they had been playing poorly and this drove them to success. I imagine ICT's, Ross County's, Motherwells players would say a similar thing. Ours wouldn't.

John Coughlin.

A football manager in his dreams.

He had no money and was the cheap option.

Hay had plenty of money and we were dreadful

A mate of mine knew Coughlin from junior fitba and would pop in to see him at Love Street.

He said Coughlin was doing odd jobs around the place,repairing or fixing things in the Main Stand

He had no money and was the cheap option.

Hay had plenty of money and we were dreadful

A mate of mine knew Coughlin from junior fitba and would pop in to see him at Love Street.

He said Coughlin was doing odd jobs around the place,repairing or fixing things in the Main Stand

Don't get me wrong, Hay was a c**t. But Coughlin was a joke.

If what you've just said is true, an even bigger joke than I thought!

I've said this before, but I'll say it again here as it is relevant to topic. At the 5-0 gubbing by C*lt*c last season, I watched in amazement as Danny stood totally inactive in his area with his hands in his pockets as went 3-0 down. I sit right behind him and so I know he wasn't shouting anything at the players. He should have been giving them, (and Barron in particular), absolute pelters for how they were performing.

At the same time, I notice Neil Lennon screaming and swearing at his players who had, obviously, just gone 3-0 up. He was bawling at Ambrose that if he didn't buck up and mark his man more closely, then he would be hooked. Ambrose had already scored a goal at this point. The contrast in temperaments told me all I needed to know in terms of which Manager could motivate players and put the fear of death into them when needed.

Too nice probably sums Danny up top be honest.

Oh, and welcome to LBF. Good thread to open with.

Hasn't it been suggested on here that this is also what happened with Craig Samson?

And with Hugh Murray and most recently Lee Mair, if you're not in Danny's immediate plans then you are not deemed important enough to communicate with and that is a huge error in judgement by the manager, especially when the players involved are popular with their colleagues.

Edited by mon the saints!!

Good first post OP.

I always get the impression that DL is desperate to come across as something he's not. When interviewed, he always says the same things. It's often as if he's been playing championship manager and stolen the games script for his interview.

The man for the job? Not so sure.

Good first post OP.

I always get the impression that DL is desperate to come across as something he's not. When interviewed, he always says the same things. It's often as if he's been playing championship manager and stolen the games script for his interview.

The man for the job? Not so sure.

Does championship manager not provide guidance on how to build a balanced squad as well?

I'm sure it would provide an on screen warning if you were about to start a season with one senior striker.

Marc Mcaulsland was out in the Craig Dhu with mates yesterday and seemed to be knocking back a few beers. No issues with a player having a social life and I understand it is an international break.

However on the back of recent performances I would have hoped that DL and his team would have dragged the players in today and really got tore in to them and been working on fitness.

Marc Mcaulsland was out in the Craig Dhu with mates yesterday and seemed to be knocking back a few beers. No issues with a player having a social life and I understand it is an international break.

However on the back of recent performances I would have hoped that DL and his team would have dragged the players in today and really got tore in to them and been working on fitness.[/quoteI do think extra training especially for the defense is needed .