Iain Munro

One of my hero's was Iain Munro,an absolute fantastic player (STOP...dont even bother talking about his managerial career)....so shut the f**k up...anyway...i loved watching Munro as a left back but more so as a left winger (a gazzillion times better than Carey @ JJ )

His 2 goals against the shellic were amazing and was an amazing day,taunting Latchford to come out..one on one..and then blasting the ball into the top corner...BRILLIANT !!

In those days,and we ALL have great memories and favs,were we better as a team,technically better?

Or were we just better to watch?

Thinking back....OUR/SCOTTISH football hasn't really progressed much..if at all...

there is a lot of reasons for the decline.....rules and non touch football(which its getting more and more like that)

Where am i going with this?....managers in this era pretty much played in the day when you could "tackle/hack/kick the shit out of the opposition )

We are playing china doll football and it aint any better than what it was... FACT!!!!!!

Now that's an opening post right there, love it. 22.15 on a Friday night, I wager there's been a drink or 2 had.

Without question those were better days. There are multitude of reasons why; OF greed, sky TV, pub opening times.... Your absolutely right, there's no comparison between then and now.

(BTW, I have had a wee drink as well)

One of my hero's was Iain Munro,an absolute fantastic player (STOP...dont even bother talking about his managerial career)....so shut the f**k up...anyway...i loved watching Munro as a left back but more so as a left winger (a gazzillion times better than Carey @ JJ )

His 2 goals against the shellic were amazing and was an amazing day,taunting Latchford to come out..one on one..and then blasting the ball into the top corner...BRILLIANT !!

In those days,and we ALL have great memories and favs,were we better as a team,technically better?

Or were we just better to watch?

Thinking back....OUR/SCOTTISH football hasn't really progressed much..if at all...

there is a lot of reasons for the decline.....rules and non touch football(which its getting more and more like that)

Where am i going with this?....managers in this era pretty much played in the day when you could "tackle/hack/kick the shit out of the opposition )

We are playing china doll football and it aint any better than what it was... FACT!!!!!!

Absolutely no doubt that Iain Munro was the best left back, both defensively and offensively, that I have ever seen wearing the stripes. And I saw him in both spells with the club.

However I seem to recall that he tried to hold the club to ransom over money as a player then in later years took the piss by accepting the managers job only to resign within 24 hours to join those giants of Scottish football, Raith Rovers.

So in summation a great player but not the most loyal. I will always prefer the likes of Money, McWhirter and Murray to the likes of Munro.

There is also no question in my mind that standards in Scottish football have deteriorated vastly since the late 70's. When we won the 1st Div in 1976-77 with a team that included Stark, Fitzpatrick, McGarvey, Richardson and the ill-fated Bobby Reid, the opposition included players such as Davie Cooper, Gordon Strachan and Mark McGhee. Where are the players of that calibre now? Not in the lower leagues of Scottish football, that's for sure.

Edited by bingboy

Absolutely no doubt that Iain Munro was the best left back, both defensively and offensively, that I have ever seen wearing the stripes. And I saw him in both spells with the club.

However I seem to recall that he tried to hold the club to ransom over money as a player then in later years took the piss by accepting the managers job only to resign within 24 hours to join those giants of Scottish football, Raith Rovers.

So in summation a great player but not the most loyal. I will always prefer the likes of Money, McWhirter and Murray to the likes of Munro.

There is also no question in my mind that standards in Scottish football have deteriorated vastly since the late 70's. When we won the 1st Div in 1976-77 with a team that included Stark, Fitzpatrick, McGarvey, Richardson and the ill-fated Bobby Reid, the opposition included players such as Davie Cooper, Gordon Strachan and Mark McGhee. Where are the players of that calibre now? Not in the lower leagues of Scottish football, that's for sure.

What about Dougie ?

Diego Maradona had a better game than Iain Munro that day

Aye just though.

Munro won 7 caps more or less in a row

That was some going for a St Mirren player especially when our National team was decent.

He was keeping out Frank Gray who played in 2 European finals with different teams

His International career came to a halt after he left us

My best memory of Munro is him scoring against celtic in a game that ended 3-3 with us 3-1 up at one stage. The goal he scored in the love st goal came when he gathered the ball in midfield, strode forward a few steps, then sold the whole Celtic team a beautiful dummy, strode forward a bit more then swept a wonderful strike past their keeper. I was in the north bank quite near the fence as usual. The place absolutely erupted

My best memory of Munro is him scoring against celtic in a game that ended 3-3 with us 3-1 up at one stage. The goal he scored in the love st goal came when he gathered the ball in midfield, strode forward a few steps, then sold the whole Celtic team a beautiful dummy, strode forward a bit more then swept a wonderful strike past their keeper. I was in the north bank quite near the fence as usual. The place absolutely erupted

Remember being there too . Jackie Copland sent off for swinging at -and missing - Edvallson . Fantastic game. Mid December I suspect . He was a player ( Munro that is )

Remember being there too . Jackie Copland sent off for swinging at -and missing - Edvallson . Fantastic game. Mid December I suspect . He was a player ( Munro that is)

December 17th, 1977 to be precise.

It was a good result for Celtic, the only point they took from 4 matches against us that season.