Thommo Say Relax

....and don't do it.

Link

STEVIE THOMPSON fears St Mirren’s crippling lack of confidence could land gaffer Danny Lennon the sack.

Lennon is under pressure and his position has been discussed at boardroom level after a horrendous run of one win in 13 games since the club lifted the League Cup six months ago.

Saints face Motherwell at home on Saturday and another defeat would likely see the axe fall.

Experienced striker Thompson knows how serious the situation is and confessed performances this season have been unacceptable.

He has called for a drastic improvement but admits team-mates are becoming frozen with fear of making mistakes the longer their slump goes on as belief drains out of the squad.

Thompson said: “There is pressure when you don’t play well. Football is all about results, there is going to be frustration from the fans which I totally understand. We just ask them to stay with us.

“As a professional sportsman you have to go on to the pitch feeling confident and at times like this your confidence can take a bashing.

“So you’re going into games, probably more so the youngsters, without the freedom to express yourself.

“It’s like you are making the situation worse. People tighten up and are afraid of making mistakes.

“But you have to try to do the complete opposite of that. It is still early in the season so it will be better to take stock in 10 games’ time.”

Thompson accepts the Saints squad is rife with underachievement and has urged his team-mates to raise their game to help keep Lennon in a job.

He added: “We’ve not played brilliantly but we haven’t been diabolical either. We’ve let in soft goals and not been
converting our chances.

“We are all underachieving and can give more. There isn’t a player in the team who has played to his maximum level.

“It’s probably worse for the younger lads who have never had this sort of struggle before. I experienced it at Dundee United and Burnley.

“But we are only four games into the season and there is certainly no talk of relegation.”

Lennon held a clear-the-air meeting with his players last week after the 2-1 defeat to Partick Thistle in which they let a lead slip in the final 10 minutes.

Thompson said: “We had a really positive discussion on Monday and got a lot of things out in the open. It was a good chat on where we need to go and how to move forward.

“The manager is a clever man and well aware of the situation – he is not naive enough to think everything is rosy. We need to make sure things improve quickly.”

Thompson was delighted to be part of the team that won the League Cup against Hearts to earn Saints only the fourth major trophy in their history.

The 34-year-old reckons that success may have subconsciously affected their motivation but is adamant they can’t afford to rest on past glories.

He said: “I heard Andy Murray say after winning Wimbledon his psychology shifted in terms of being able to prepare and push himself the way he had done.

“I wonder if we possibly thought, ‘Oh we’ve won a cup. What else do we need to do?’ I wonder if that slight shift in
psychology has affected us.

“I’ve not revisited that victory. People talk to you about it but it’s not been at the forefront of my mind for a long time.

“I’ve got my own goals of wanting to keep the longevity of my career. If you dwell on past success you won’t move forward.”

Excellent, balanced assessment of the season so far. It would also suggest that the players are behind Danny and vice versa. He is not pretending all is well and neither is he awfulising everything. We shall see come next Saturday, which would appear to be the do or die game for Danny as far as some fans are concerned. Thank god we've got someone articulate at the club.

I think all the senior pros at the club need to take some of the blame for our current situation Goodwin van zanten Thompson. None of these players look anything like the players they were last season. Goodwin never a CB has looked poor. Van zanten has been shocking a red card and 2 yellows and another player who's all round game has looked poor. Thompson looks ordinary don't know if its cause he's isolated up front or he needs time to adjust to Harkins and bankonen. All 3 of these players should take a look at teal who is always looking for the ball pushing the team forward and has been our best player so far this season.

....and don't do it.

Link

STEVIE THOMPSON fears St Mirren’s crippling lack of confidence could land gaffer Danny Lennon the sack.

Lennon is under pressure and his position has been discussed at boardroom level after a horrendous run of one win in 13 games since the club lifted the League Cup six months ago.

Saints face Motherwell at home on Saturday and another defeat would likely see the axe fall.

Experienced striker Thompson knows how serious the situation is and confessed performances this season have been unacceptable.

He has called for a drastic improvement but admits team-mates are becoming frozen with fear of making mistakes the longer their slump goes on as belief drains out of the squad.

Thompson said: “There is pressure when you don’t play well. Football is all about results, there is going to be frustration from the fans which I totally understand. We just ask them to stay with us.

“As a professional sportsman you have to go on to the pitch feeling confident and at times like this your confidence can take a bashing.

“So you’re going into games, probably more so the youngsters, without the freedom to express yourself.

“It’s like you are making the situation worse. People tighten up and are afraid of making mistakes.

“But you have to try to do the complete opposite of that. It is still early in the season so it will be better to take stock in 10 games’ time.”

Thompson accepts the Saints squad is rife with underachievement and has urged his team-mates to raise their game to help keep Lennon in a job.

He added: “We’ve not played brilliantly but we haven’t been diabolical either. We’ve let in soft goals and not been

converting our chances.

“We are all underachieving and can give more. There isn’t a player in the team who has played to his maximum level.

“It’s probably worse for the younger lads who have never had this sort of struggle before. I experienced it at Dundee United and Burnley.

“But we are only four games into the season and there is certainly no talk of relegation.”

Lennon held a clear-the-air meeting with his players last week after the 2-1 defeat to Partick Thistle in which they let a lead slip in the final 10 minutes.

Thompson said: “We had a really positive discussion on Monday and got a lot of things out in the open. It was a good chat on where we need to go and how to move forward.

“The manager is a clever man and well aware of the situation – he is not naive enough to think everything is rosy. We need to make sure things improve quickly.”

Thompson was delighted to be part of the team that won the League Cup against Hearts to earn Saints only the fourth major trophy in their history.

The 34-year-old reckons that success may have subconsciously affected their motivation but is adamant they can’t afford to rest on past glories.

He said: “I heard Andy Murray say after winning Wimbledon his psychology shifted in terms of being able to prepare and push himself the way he had done.

“I wonder if we possibly thought, ‘Oh we’ve won a cup. What else do we need to do?’ I wonder if that slight shift in

psychology has affected us.

“I’ve not revisited that victory. People talk to you about it but it’s not been at the forefront of my mind for a long time.

“I’ve got my own goals of wanting to keep the longevity of my career. If you dwell on past success you won’t move forward.”

looks like Tommos got the job of motavating the team i thought that should have been Lennon or Goodwins job1eye.gif

Talks cheap sir get you're finger out and start playing!

I support the manager & the team , but the bottom line is as you say , time to shut up & start playing !

It's ok the manager , the players saying 'we know performances have not been good , we understand the fans frustration at this wonderful football club' but its time to put it right on the pitch.

They do not get paid to talk or make excuses , the fans deserve better than they have given.

Roll on next game :) which I do not think we will lose.

I support the manager & the team , but the bottom line is as you say , time to shut up & start playing !

It's ok the manager , the players saying 'we know performances have not been good , we understand the fans frustration at this wonderful football club' but its time to put it right on the pitch.

They do not get paid to talk or make excuses , the fans deserve better than they have given.

Roll on next game smile.png which I do not think we will lose.

Yep got to be honest in times like this Elvis was right - "a little less conversation a little more action please".

OK he was trying to get his girlfriend to shut up and give him some booty time BUT as lacking in class as Elvis was with that line you can't help seeing the similarity with St Mirren right now.

looks like Tommos got the job of motavating the team i thought that should have been Lennon or Goodwins job1eye.gif

Thompson is simply stating the obvious but, please go ahead, turn this into a Danny bashing thread to suit your own agenda.

Players are paid to play and know themselves when they aren't up to standard.

They aren't two year olds who need to be sent to the naughty corner to emphasise their shortcomings.

If anything I think Steven is playing the part of players' media guru rather than pseudo-manager.

Thompson is simply stating the obvious but, please go ahead, turn this into a Danny bashing thread to suit your own agenda.

Players are paid to play and know themselves when they aren't up to standard.

They aren't two year olds who need to be sent to the naughty corner to emphasise their shortcomings.

If anything I think Steven is playing the part of players' media guru rather than pseudo-manager.

Danny, Tommy, Players and Fans, we're all in this together.

Disnae matter who the spokesman is that's rallying the troops.

As long as it's not Lex or Wee SPS whistling.gif

Edited by shull

Professional footballers, like other professionals, generally do NOT need motivating by another person. They're perfectly able to do it themselves.

In fact it pisses professionals off if a manager thinks they do.

My worst nightmare would be to work for one of those twats who run call centres and spend all day constantly "geeing up" the staff and making them sing songs.

The players are suffering a lack of confidence at the moment. That's a completely different thing altogether.

Roll on next game smile.png which I do not think we will lose.

I do not care who the manager of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co is. I always wish the manager well but I never support the manager, it is and has always been the team that I support.

We all wish the best for the team known locally at Saint Mirren (or St Murn) and in that the identity of the manager is somewhat irrelevant as it is the good fortunes of the team that really matter.

I have a very bad feeling for this next game but then again I am often wrong so we will most likely win.

I do not care who the manager of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co is. I always wish the manager well but I never support the manager, it is and has always been the team that I support.

We all wish the best for the team known locally at Saint Mirren (or St Murn) and in that the identity of the manager is somewhat irrelevant as it is the good fortunes of the team that really matter.

I have a very bad feeling for this next game but then again I am often wrong so we will most likely win.

The manager is part of the team.

Excellent, balanced assessment of the season so far. It would also suggest that the players are behind Danny and vice versa. He is not pretending all is well and neither is he awfulising everything. We shall see come next Saturday, which would appear to be the do or die game for Danny as far as some fans are concerned. Thank god we've got someone articulate at the club.

This is an excellent piece by Thommo, but I just wish DL would come out with this sort of thing post match rather than the slightly cryptic and content free jargon he rolls out. If he could do this before or after Well on Saturday and just be honest and speak his mind, I would be much happier and probably empathise a bit more.

This is an excellent piece by Thommo, but I just wish DL would come out with this sort of thing post match rather than the slightly cryptic and content free jargon he rolls out. If he could do this before or after Well on Saturday and just be honest and speak his mind, I would be much happier and probably empathise a bit more.

I agree with regards the honesty, but it is clearly a very thin line between being openly critical and honest at times...

I'm always bemused, and have to laugh, at the focus on Lennon's interviews etc.

How important is this? I think, not a lot, but people bring this up on a regular basis?

There are much more important issues to address, and I'm sure most on here have little, or no, experience, of speaking in the public domain.

Sure this is part of his job but, if looking at the majority of football managers, even in the magical EPL, there is a trail of possibly less than superlative comments.

Edited by faraway saint

The manager is part of the team.

What a wonderfully constructive point.

The corner flag is also part of the game so we should also worship each one with vigour and marvel at the paint used to mark the penalty spot.

Individuals are not "Saint Mirren". No man/woman is bigger than the team and as such if Daniel Lennon (or anyone) has to fall for the greater good of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co then so be it. It is the team as a whole that matter and any part of the "whole" that is not performing properly then that part needs to be removed and/or replaced.

I make my simple point again. It is the team I support and never the individual.