Employers In The Town

faraway saint

Very sad reading folks, very sad indeed.

I remember the mills, the car factory and even the carpet field (in Elderslie) all employing many people that I knew and cared about.

All the youngsters these days are unemployed, selling things or working for the government. No-one is making anything anymore and without manufacturing I simply don't understand how our economy works. The only exception to that is NSS who feeds the oil workers.

I can contribute with the following people whom I know that are employed in Paisley in the following establishments

Reid Kerr 1

Showcase cinema 1

The Bull Inn 4

The Wee Howff 2

The Craig Dhu 1

Paddy Malarkeys 4

Paisley International airport 1

Asda in Linderlsie (Paisley area) 1

Local shop 3

Paisley council 1

Taste Buds 2

Tasty Bites 1

Marks & Spencer 1

The Kibble 1

University of the West Of Scotland - 2

Paisley Golf Club 7

William Phelps Butcher 1

Paisley Sheriff Court 2

Paisley RAH 2

Sadly I do not know anyone who manufactures anything in our town. You youngsters are doomed!

Edited to add

My doctor 1

My dentist 1

My windowcleaner 1

Abercorn Dairies 1

Greenlaw garage 2

The Co-Op funeral directors 2

Malcolms 1

MP Burke haulage 1

Gerry Devlin painter and decorator 1

Paisley fire station 1

McConechys Tyres 1

Edited by TediousTom

Guest TPAFKATS

The local health board has between 35-40000 staff and is I think the largest in Europe. Not sure how many in Paisley area but its a lot more than just 2300 at RAH - think of the large health centres and Dykebar as well as community based staff

ETA of course not all staff are local tongue.png

Edited by TPAFKATS

The amount of private employment needs to be improved and worked on in the area. We need decent jobs and decent investors- but the problem is investment from abroad isn't great as they have no loyalty. I work in East Kilbride where Motorola is being demolished and JVC went long ago. Rolls Royce must be a fairly substantial employer too since they moved from East Kilbride to Inchinnan.

The council states that of 115,000 people who are economically active in Renfrewshire, 66,100 work in Renfrewshire and 22,400 travel to Glasgow for work. 29,000 people travel into Renfrewshire to work.

The local health board has between 35-40000 staff and is I think the largest in Europe. Not sure how many in Paisley area but its a lot more than just 2300 at RAH - think of the large health centres and Dykebar as well as community based staff

ETA of course not all staff are local tongue.png

Health centre and community staff unlikely to be employed by health board.

Very sad reading folks, very sad indeed.

I remember the mills, the car factory and even the carpet field (in Elderslie) all employing many people that I knew and cared about.

All the youngsters these days are unemployed, selling things or working for the government.

Times change Tom.

People made the conscious and free decision to stop buying things manufactured in this country many years ago.

This was for various reasons but it's irrelevant now because most youngsters don't want to make things anymore anyway.

Young people face stronger competition for work now because we're sending 40% to university.
Most of them don't graduate but the numbers of graduates are rising.
Some of them are taking jobs traditionally reserved for non-graduates.
I know of people with PhD's in science doing jobs which don't even require an undergraduate degree.
What's happening is that life is becoming much harder for those who succeed academically but for those who DONT succeed, it's becoming very difficult indeed.
I wouldn't like to be 21 and be without a solid first class degree in something useful.
Having said that, most young people are full of hope and they usually find a way of surviving in circumstances which defeat older people.

Times change Tom.

People made the conscious and free decision to stop buying things manufactured in this country many years ago.

This was for various reasons but it's irrelevant now because most youngsters don't want to make things anymore anyway.

Young people face stronger competition for work now because we're sending 40% to university.

Most of them don't graduate but the numbers of graduates are rising.

Some of them are taking jobs traditionally reserved for non-graduates.

I know of people with PhD's in science doing jobs which don't even require an undergraduate degree.

What's happening is that life is becoming much harder for those who succeed academically but for those who DONT succeed, it's becoming very difficult indeed.

I wouldn't like to be 21 and be without a solid first class degree in something useful.

Having said that, most young people are full of hope and they usually find a way of surviving in circumstances which defeat older people.

While we all draw on our life experience I wish you would stop the propaganda that life isn't worth living without dome degree or other.

The majority of people making a decent living wont have or require a degree.

I'm not suggesting a degree cannot be useful but the fact you have no idea about life without one and you are super intelligent you do act like a buffoon at times.

There is life without a degree, long live common sense and enthusiastic employees, worth their weight in gold, and that's from experience.