The Jim Goodwin Thread

Utter nonsense the he had already committed, watch the damned highlights with some sense of objectivity would you.

Thomson is already on his way down, something like 75 yards from goal and the ball was there to be pinched very easily. McGinn would have knicked it off of Thomson's toe, McLean would have either sat off a yard and picked up the loose ball or knicked it. Either way, we'd have been laughing at Thomson falling on his arse as we moved in on goal. Both are exceptionally gifted, there's no comparison.

Just how was Thomson going to ghost past anyone whilst on the deck?

Utter baloney as usual. As Goodwin slides in the referee has already blown for a foul for McLean bumping into Thomson and then blows for a second time after Goodwin's challenge. Your scenario of McLean or McGinn nicking the ball and going through on goal as you laugh at Thomson falling on his arse... if only Goodwin hadn't got involved, is pure fantasy.

Watch the damned highlights with some sense of objectivity would you - instead of through your usual I-hate-Jim-Goodwin-lenses.

I like Jim Goodwin.

He does the dirty work that nobody else in our team would/could do. A look at the fair play league as of the 20th April reveals that St Mirren sit second as a team, behind only Celtic, who are not challenged and therefore do not need to foul as much, while also benefiting from referees' favour.

If you removed Jim Goodwin from our squad, in theory we would be top of the fair play league by some distance (7 points) - but, and this is supposition on my part - I bet we would have fewer points in the league that matters, as we would be a total walkover for more physical teams. Every team needs someone to pick up these cards - it just happens that almost a quarter of ours are channelled through one player.

Stats here:

http://espnfc.com/stats/fairplay/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

What is interesting is that our second 'worst' player is John McGinn, with 8 yellows, yet he is not seen as a liability or a suspension waiting to happen. He is, in fact, our best player.

Also interesting is that Hamill, Bannigan and Pascali are punching at Goodwin's weight, yet have achieved nowhere near the same level of media demonisation.

Edited by Magic Monkey

I like Jim Goodwin.

He does the dirty work that nobody else in our team would/could do. A look at the fair play league as of the 20th April reveals that St Mirren sit second as a team, behind only Celtic, who are not challenged and therefore do not need to foul as much, while also benefiting from referees' favour.

If you removed Jim Goodwin from our squad, in theory we would be top of the fair play league by some distance (7 points) - but, and this is supposition on my part - I bet we would have fewer points in the league that matters, as we would be a total walkover for more physical teams. Every team needs someone to pick up these cards - it just happens that almost a quarter of ours are channelled through one player.

Stats here:

http://espnfc.com/stats/fairplay/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premiership?cc=5739

What is interesting is that our second 'worst' player is John McGinn, with 8 yellows, yet he is not seen as a liability or a suspension waiting to happen. He is, in fact, our best player.

Also interesting is that Hamill, Bannigan and Pascali are punching at Goodwin's weight, yet have achieved nowhere near the same level of media demonisation.

No doubt Goodwin does some stupid things and at times he's a liability. On a few occasions this saeson he's been rightly benched and he's deserved a few stints out of the team. However, as has been said, he does the dirty work that nobody else will do when it needs to be done. I reckon that we're a weaker team without him (as long as he's not playing centre half)

Isma won us a penalty by diving.

I believe Goodwin will lose his appeal, there is enough doubt for the panel to turn it down. Speaking to neutrals some of them think that it was a bad tackle. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us winning this appeal.

Hopefully the panel with have people who know about football on it. Neutral fans aren't in fact neutral when it comes to players like Goodwin, whose reputation goes before him.

good point about the elbow on McGowan maybe it will be picked up by the video panel ( or not), im not a Goodwin fan but he did not clatter that hibs cheat who has done nothing in football apart from being a dirty cheat. okay jim Goodwin has a reputation and opposition players play on this . I personally hope the red card stays as we will be a better team without Goodwin always a chance he will get sent off and its other pressure we just don't need. if your the opposition manager you would be telling your players to get under his skin .

Hopefully the panel with have people who know about football on it. Neutral fans aren't in fact neutral when it comes to players like Goodwin, whose reputation goes before him.

Unlike you who isn't neutral.

Perhaps we need a biased panel because these neutral panels are hopeless.

Edited by Kendo

One of the guys at my work who is an Aberdeen fan, said that it was a ridiculous decision and never sending off.

He's a neutral.:)

But according to scotty neutral fans are all against Goodwin? He can't be neutral, he's a closet Buddie.

I said earlier, a great decision by the club to appeal his red card.

Could have earned us a point tonight and showed real class by not making a meal of some hard tackles on him.

Stand up Jim Goodwin.

There ye go Goodwin haters, the mans very important for us.

If you cant see that...............................1eye.gif

But according to scotty neutral fans are all against Goodwin? He can't be neutral, he's a closet Buddie.

they might not be against him but they may doubt him on a lot of occasions to quote a saints player:

"@Josh_Magennis: @Hambud1987 thought he had serious anger issues and needed help but workin with him one of the nicest guys I no."

Breathalyser please....................nologo.gif

Well, I honestly believe that. At our best we're a handful for any team in the league but we're so inconsistent. Last night we played all right and got the point but our norm is either playing really well or absolutely rubbish. Nothing in between. Is that you offering to buy me a Guinness? I'll meet you in The Crown in Great Victoria Street. When suits you?