Garry Kenneth Free Agent

Hasn't played since picking up an injury in January - terminated his contract with Bristol Rovers after being unable to get his place back in the first team.

Wouldn't turn my nose up at him but we already have three CH's and possibly two more, Naismith & Goodwin, in case of emergencies - we'd have to move one of our existing CH's on at the end of the season to accommodate Kenneth (Mair & McGregor are out of contract IIRC) and we've higher priorities to fill in the January window.

If he comes well and good but I don't expect it....................

Hasn't played since picking up an injury in January - terminated his contract with Bristol Rovers after being unable to get his place back in the first team.

Wouldn't turn my nose up at him but we already have three CH's and possibly two more, Naismith & Goodwin, in case of emergencies - we'd have to move one of our existing CH's on at the end of the season to accommodate Kenneth (Mair & McGregor are out of contract IIRC) and we've higher priorities to fill in the January window.

If he comes well and good but I don't expect it....................

Thats probably how we managed to sign Grainger, he was out for a long spell too wasn't he? They signings can be risky. Carey wasn't the same player after his injury at Huddersfield.

I agree, another striker should be top of the list in January and get the goalkeeping issue sorted are the main priorities but in the long term the defence will need re-built.

So you would prefer it if we dont fancy a player just to shut up ?

We all have views on players abilities or suitability for our club and surely a fans forum is the place to air our opinions .

I've no real problem with anything anybody posts on here - opinions are what a discussion board is all about. My comment related specifically to the quote from the post by Sergie's No 1 Fan, where he asked who people think we should be expecting to attract to the club.

There are players getting pelters for not being good enough for us, yet we're no longer a big enough club to expect players of true quality to sign for us. In this particular case, I can't see how we could attract a CH better than Kenneth to the club, except maybe on loan.

As our defence has been a constant thorn a FIT Garry Kenneth could have been a decent addition but it seems his recent injuries are an issue. This would be a deal breaker for any interested club.

163 games for Dundee Utd, capped for Scotland fro U19 to full International level.

Has he upset some of our fans to write him off? blink.png

PS He's only 26, a good age for a defender.

Even though I agree with all of the above, we have 5 players that can play CH, no deal!!!!!!

Even though I agree with all of the above, we have 5 players that can play CH, no deal!!!!!!

Simply having 5 players in that position doesn't equate to having a good CH pairing?

We have leaked goals for many a year and this guy could well be a welcome addition to the squad, getting rid of any of our current "5" wouldn't be a problem.

Simply having 5 players in that position doesn't equate to having a good CH pairing?

We have leaked goals for many a year and this guy could well be a welcome addition to the squad, getting rid of any of our current "5" wouldn't be a problem.

I genuinely can't imagine why we'd get rid of anyone to accommodate Kenneth.

Any time I seen him play, I've been singularly unimpressed.

Granted, everyone is entitled to an opinion on this, but I've yet to read any compelling argument as to why he would be better than the players we currently have.

We need to focus on our attacking options. If a few goals could be scored, leaking a few at the back wouldn't be such an issue. At present, we're toothless, and all that does is apply pressure in defence. Unless Kenneth is good for 8 or 9 goals a season, then I can see no benefit in bringing him in just now.

Edited by Drew

If we can get Kenneth we should go for him. Type of player our club should be looking at no nonsense defender with experience and only 26. I dont like mair and Goodwin is a bomb scare at CB naismith can play CB but we would miss him on the left side of the defence. I think if we can sign Kello and bring in a striker add kenneth to that and we have a good squad with cover in all positions!

Instead of people saying that he's rubbish and nothing else. I'd prefer if they could provide an alternative name that we should consider.

We don't need another centre half, so I won't be providing a name. I've yet to hear anything that would lead me to believe that there would any point whatsoever in this signing.

I think the burden of evidence should lie with those who think we should sign him, no?

We don't need another centre half, so I won't be providing a name. I've yet to hear anything that would lead me to believe that there would any point whatsoever in this signing.I think the burden of evidence should lie with those who think we should sign him, no?

The burden of evidence is number of goals we're losing despite having a good keeper.

Our defence ain't solid enough IMO and this is a chap that who we can afford that could do a job for us.

Played in the SPL and got a full international cap.

I do realise he ain't International class but them's the facts and I can't for the life of me think of a better CV that we could afford. Can you?

Good question. I can't believe the slagging some players get on here when anyone suggests them as a potential signing.

I agree with you. There are quite a few on here who manage to sound as if they actually hate some of the guys as soon as their names get mentioned. I'll never understand it. It's fair enough to say that they don't rate a player but welcome him to the club and get behind him. Keep your invective for the opposition. When a new signing doesn't work out, you can say so. Over and over and over again until we're sick of hearing it. We're often sick of hearing it before a player has even pulled on a St.Mirren strip.

I think we need another defender when we go a goal down we never come back so stop them getting the first goal we need better defensive options and Kenneth would give us that!

I also think we desperately need another striker! We really need 2 but would settle for 1.

Newton looks as if he is going to stay and teal back and fit

Get kello signed up think were good for the second half of the season...

I fear that very time we hear a player is available there is a rush to sign them even although the experience over the last year is that they spend their time as bench warmer sat best. I would stick with what Danny has been good at.... Bringing on young players. A good number of benefits in this

>they're cheaper

>we have an idea what we are getting

>we can sign them for longer

>get a really good one and we can sell them on for real money

Just look at the impact made by McAusland, McGinn, Kelly and Naismith. Well done Danny this something of which you can be proud ... Up there with the Cup win.

I didn't say it meant we had a good CH pairing, just that enough budget has been spent on it!

As for the ease of getting shot of any of the current 5, see lee mair ;)..............