Telly Programmes

shull

Radio 1 today playing a nice mix of songs from the last 50 years.

Some, good, some not so good but a nice celebration of 50 years of the radio station.

(I know it's no a TV programme but didn't think starting another thread was warranted. :rolleyes:)

PS As I'm listening on my TV I think it's ok to post about Radio 1 on this thread. :P

Edited by faraway saint

If you are interested in (recent) history, try and catch The Vietnam War.
BBC4, though I'm watching it on the iPlayer. Just finished the second episode, and it is outstanding documentary TV.

I'm trying to catch up on a lot of history that I didn't bother with when I was younger.

Recently got interested in the second world war after reading a brilliant book called the Tartan Pimpernel. Anyway due to this I've been watching "World War 2 in Colour" on Netflix.

Vietnam could well interest me after I've finished.

6 hours ago, Hambud said:

I'm trying to catch up on a lot of history that I didn't bother with when I was younger.

Recently got interested in the second world war after reading a brilliant book called the Tartan Pimpernel. Anyway due to this I've been watching "World War 2 in Colour" on Netflix.

Vietnam could well interest me after I've finished.

Aye, there are good programmes out there if you hunt about.

I stumbled across the Vietnam series by accident when consigned to another room on account of my wife and weans watching Dr Foster or some such. I was trawling the iPlayer and took a punt on it.

Highly recommended. Its very honest and doesn't pull punches. Pretty shocking stuff, to be honest, and, sadly, it seems that a lot of lessons that should have been learned, haven't been.

9 hours ago, Drew said:

If you are interested in (recent) history, try and catch The Vietnam War.

BBC4, though I'm watching it on the iPlayer. Just finished the second episode, and it is outstanding documentary TV.

How far back does it go?

Ho Chi Minh was at the Versaille Peace Conference after WW1 petitioning for France to leave Indochina.

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

How far back does it go?

Ho Chi Minh was at the Versaille Peace Conference after WW1 petitioning for France to leave Indochina.

It goes back to the French colonial times pre WW1 in the first episode, and sets out the context very well.

If you have any interest in the history of Vietnam I'd class the series as a must watch.

I don't doubt there are contentious elements of the emphasis and slant put on certain incidents, circumstances, and figures, but I'm finding it very measured and balanced.

Put it this way, the French, US, and other 'western' players do not come out of it well at all (as you might expect).

57 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Watched this, wasn't that interesting IMO. :snore

Won't bother next week. :byebye

Most people's work isn't that interesting, the producers of these series are looking at the soap opera aspect, a character for the viewers to latch onto possibly one with a catchphrase - rothsake I thought you'd have known that!

Edited by Bud the Baker

5 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Most people's work isn't that interesting, the producers of these series are looking at the soap opera aspect, a character for the to latch onto possibly one with a catchphrase - rothsake I thought you'd have known that!

I'm aware they, the producers, are trying to look for some interesting characters, looks like there are none.

I like "Rothsake", maybe you should write to them to include that in the next few episodes? 

PS I happen to think many jobs can be shown to be interesting, depends how they are portrayed. 

Unfortunately this wasn't the case, IMO, on last nights episode. 

Edited by faraway saint

25 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm aware they, the producers, are trying to look for some interesting characters, looks like there are none.

I like "Rothsake", maRotybe you should write to them to include that in the next few episodes? 

PS I happen to think many jobs can be shown to be interesting, depends how they are portrayed. 

Unfortunately this wasn't the case, IMO, on last nights episode. 

What the producers should have done is shown that council workers are conducting a vendetta against a newly arrived St. Mirren fan and trying to scupper his new business. Said fan could have become enraged and transformed into a 8ft green monster with superhuman strength raging through the streets of Rothesay!

HULK.jpgWould've worked for me!

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

What the producers should have done is shown that council workers are conducting a vendetta against a newly arrived St. Mirren fan and trying to scupper his new business. Said fan could have become enraged and transformed into a 8ft green monster with superhuman strength raging through the streets of Rothesay!

HULK.jpgWould've worked for me!

Me an all. :D