Lennon Out

I know! I know! I know! smile.png

There's a fair chance you do. Another friend ( an ex Paisley Grammar boy, but we'll try not to hold that against him) told me back last September that there was a problem in the dressing room. I took it with a pinch of salt but there have been so many rumours that it's hard to discount them all. Next thing we know, they'll be telling us David Moyes days are numbered at Old Trafford.

Danny's had a good run at it, he's one of the longest serving managers in the country. 4 years is a long time in football. Sadly, he's not been able to kick on in either the cups or the league this season, so it's best for all parties if we all move on at the end of the season.

Problem is...if Danny leaves us in 7th, 8th or even 9th. He leaves with a very good looking CV.

The next manager, who will no doubt be another lower league manager, has to build on that. History suggests that 1st year manager's tend to struggle. Even if he keeps us up, we will have the same situation as we did with Danny. Where folk were against him right from that 1st season.

Danny's had a good run at it, he's one of the longest serving managers in the country. 4 years is a long time in football. Sadly, he's not been able to kick on in either the cups or the league this season, so it's best for all parties if we all move on at the end of the season.

Exactly this.

While I agree it's been a disappointing season surely it's too early to say this?

Nothing is for certain yet, so incorrect to say we haven't "kicked on in the league" at this time.

The fact this is even being discussed is rather worrying. Winning two games on the bounce, despite having had a dreadful season, seems to have clouded folks views on Lennon. He has been proved woefully inadequate both with tactics and signings and should not be considered to continue as team manager after his contract expires.

I just wince that the same folk who appointed him will be choosing the next incumbent. This does not inspire confidence.

If you look at the 4 divisions in scotland and the 4 in England, Danny's in the top ten, mibbe even top 5 of long-lasting managers. (I'll have to check)

ETA http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26874128

in Scotland, only Paul Sheerin (Arbroath) and Dick Campbell (Forfar) have longer tenures, in England, Wenger, Mark Yates (Cheltenham) and Paul Tidsdale (Exeter) both League 2 have lasted longer, so he's No.6 in the UK major leagues.

Edited by Happy Buddie

There's a fair chance you do. Another friend ( an ex Paisley Grammar boy, but we'll try not to hold that against him) told me back last September that there was a problem in the dressing room. I took it with a pinch of salt but there have been so many rumours that it's hard to discount them all. Next thing we know, they'll be telling us David Moyes days are numbered at Old Trafford.

I'm hearing (from the voices in my head) that Moyes left Man Utd to buy St.Mirren to be our Owner/Manager.

Apart from being a diehard Saints fan, that wee war-chest of a payoff Moyes got, will see us in The Champions League spot next year... 1eye.gif

Problem is...if Danny leaves us in 7th, 8th or even 9th. He leaves with a very good looking CV.

The next manager, who will no doubt be another lower league manager, has to build on that. History suggests that 1st year manager's tend to struggle. Even if he keeps us up, we will have the same situation as we did with Danny. Where folk were against him right from that 1st season.

Don't know about that Bud? Danny haters tended to be Gusophiles, but I don't believe we'll see the same bitternesswith any new manager (unless he happens to be ex-OF...like... Moyes...lol.gif )

Exactly this.

Exactly this f**k all Mr Doomsday Soothsayer little-ray-of-light. I take it you still don't want to take that bet? sorcerer.gif

The fact this is even being discussed is rather worrying. Winning two games on the bounce, despite having had a dreadful season, seems to have clouded folks views on Lennon. He has been proved woefully inadequate both with tactics and signings and should not be considered to continue as team manager after his contract expires.

I just wince that the same folk who appointed him will be choosing the next incumbent. This does not inspire confidence.

Why get rid of him then.

and why are you still discussing it.

Edited by pod

I'm hearing (from the voices in my head) that Moyes left Man Utd to buy St.Mirren to be our Owner/Manager.

Apart from being a diehard Saints fan, that wee war-chest of a payoff Moyes got, will see us in The Champions League spot next year... 1eye.gif

Don't know about that Bud? Danny haters tended to be Gusophiles, but I don't believe we'll see the same bitternesswith any new manager (unless he happens to be ex-OF...like... Moyes...lol.gif )

Exactly this f**k all Mr Doomsday Soothsayer little-ray-of-light. I take it you still don't want to take that bet? sorcerer.gif

Edited by Happy Buddie

Whilst researching my previous post I came across this wee nugget re Gus for all the Gusophiles to digest:

In the 2006–07 season he retained St Mirren's place in the SPL, following a brief relegation fight. In the second last game of the season St. Mirren's place in the SPL was confirmed courtesy of a 3–2 win over Motherwell despite having been 2–0 down. This coupled with other results saw one of MacPherson's former clubs, Dunfermline relegated to the First Division.[1]

In the following season and being continually challenged with budgetary constraints, MacPherson became the first St Mirren manager to be knocked out of both the Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup by teams from a lower league in the same season.

Edited by Happy Buddie

I cant help but see similarities between Kenny Shiels Killie career and Danny Lennons career at Saints, which when you consider where Killie are just now makes me wonder if changing manager is worth while.

Kenny Shiels tried to get killie to play the right way

Danny Lennon tried to get Saints to play the right way

Kenny Shiels talks a load of rubbish

Danny Lennon talks a load of rubbish

Kenny Shiels won the League Cup with loan players

Danny Lennon won the League Cup with loan players

Kenny Shiels tries to focus on bring through Killie youngsters into their first team

Danny Lennon brings through St Mirren youngsters into their first team

Kenny Shiels gets bagged and Killie are involved in a relagation battle.

Danny Lennon..............................

I understand that people are worried about the fact he signed players that are no-longer with the club but remember this forum last summer when people were screaming from the rooftops about how we needed to sign more players, we needed a left back becuase Kelly had been done by Dougie Imrie, we needed a right back becuase Vanzy was finished we needed a striker because Thommo couldn't play every minute of every game, we needed Centre backs (ok you were right there). The fact is he signed guys who most people would have signed Grainger, Harkins, however he realised that the boys he had already at the club were better than these guys he dealt with the situation quickly.

I'm not saying that due to the last two games we all of a sudden are a great team, I know we have it all to play for and 4 very difficult games ahead of us and we could end up in the play off spot, but what happens if we finish 7th? In my mind if we finish 7th and have 4 players brought through from the U20's then we have moved forward as a club.

I would think if he deserves another term, especially if we finish 7th. Getting the u20's blooded int he first team is fantastic and something he will have learned a lot from this season which can only bode well for the future, but I think the way he is viewed by people not prepared to look at the bigger picture (or maybe just viewing it from a different angle than I am) then it is probably best for him as an person to move on.

The same people that have brought in Tom Hendrie, Gus McPherson and Danny Lennon who have all done great things with our club during their time here?

If you look at the 4 divisions in scotland and the 4 in England, Danny's in the top ten, mibbe even top 5 of long-lasting managers. (I'll have to check)

ETA http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26874128

in Scotland, only Paul Sheerin (Arbroath) and Dick Campbell (Forfar) have longer tenures, in England, Wenger, Mark Yates (Cheltenham) and Paul Tidsdale (Exeter) both League 2 have lasted longer, so he's No.6 in the UK major leagues.

See if you can pull together stats about how the other clubs went on to do after a change of Manager? Have it ready by 5 and I can read it on the bus home ta wink.png

ok so you didn't appreciate winning first div and B&Q cup? You didn't appreciate league cup win?

Don't, he's thick as mince. 1eye.gif

He's one of the small, but stupid, band of zoomers who dislike the manager more than they support the team.

Makes you laugh really. lol.gif

See zoomer below. bye1.gif

Edited by faraway saint

We've started to play better in the last 3 or 4 games there is no doubt about it.

Look back to that Tuesday night against the fakes 1-0 defeat, going on 4 or 5. One of the worst performances I've seen at home from a saints team in god knows how long. After that game I must admit I did fear we looked destined for 11th place.

The summer transfer dealings were nothing short of a disgrace, granted most of the players let themselves down but it was a total farce!

Danny's had 4 seasons at St. Mirren and overall has done a decent job regardless of what a lot of people say about him. Unfortunately for me, I think his time is up and we need some fresh ideas from a new manager. Danny can leave St. Mirren with his head held high, I wish him all the best for the future!

I know the grass is always greener but I do believe a change is needed come the end of the season.

The fact this is even being discussed is rather worrying. Winning two games on the bounce, despite having had a dreadful season, seems to have clouded folks views on Lennon. He has been proved woefully inadequate both with tactics and signings and should not be considered to continue as team manager after his contract expires.I just wince that the same folk who appointed him will be choosing the next incumbent. This does not inspire confidence.

I've got to agree.

Why do these people who own a business think they have the Devine right to employ whoever they want?