Pick Our Best/preferred Starting 11

Ronnie

Had a chat with a fellow saints fan regarding possible team changes for the big games coming up & we couldn't agree what was the best way to go. Thought i would ask fellow saints fans what we all think. Remember it's only opinions about starting 11 not a slagging fest because someone disagrees with you alot of topics been spoiled by bickering recently.

Presume the back 5 picks itself then we have -

Teale, Magennis, Campbell 1 of 3 Right Midfield

Newton, Goodwin, Mcginn,Djemba Djemba, Mclean 2 of 5 Centre Midfield

Wylde First choice for left midfield

Thommo,Mcgowan, Magennis, Campbell up front.

My Midfield/Strikers 6 would be Teale, Goodwin, Mcginn & Wylde, with Thommo & Magennis up top.

A bench of Djemba, Mclean, Newton, Mcgowan & Campbell would give you decent options to change.

My team would be

-----------------Kello------------------

------McGregor-----McAusland------

Naismith------------------------- Kelly

---------McGinn----Goodwin----------

Teale-----------------------------Wylde

---------------McGowan----------------

---------------Thompson---------------

I almost went with McGinn left instead of Wylde, with Djemba-Djemba starting, but I'd have things this way in an attempt to have as many players playing in their natural positions as possible.

I'm glad I did this, running through the squad confirmed for me, once and for all, that it's not the pool of players that's the problem. I was going through each position, with the exception of centre half and centre forward, and rather than struggling to find a body to fill the jersey, like I thought I would be, I was leaving out good player after good player. Guys like Van Zanten, McLean, Djemba-Djemba, Magennis, Campbell, Newton aren't in there, and these are players who would play regularly for almost any team in the SPL. We have a very good group of players, it's making me wonder more and more why Danny Lennon and Tommy Craig (who I like by the way, before anyone jumps down my throat) can't make it click. It's very frustrating.

Also, just to say, I know the team I've picked can't and won't happen, due to the terms of Newton's loan deal, but going just by who is out best XI, that would be my pick.

Kello

Naismith McAusland McGregor Kelly

Goodwin

McLean Djemba-Djemba McGinn

McGowan

Thommohawk

Newton/Campbell/Teale coming on for Djemba-Djemba when he picks up his obligatory yellow card / is too tired and starts booting folk. Think D-D would be more effective in the middle rather than playing deep, especially while he's not match fit.

Am I right in thInking none of the preferred starting XIs posted so far have included Conor Newton? There's no chance of anyone's team matching Danny's then. Ally McCoist doesn't do walking away, and Danny Lennon doesn't do dropping Conor Newton, no matter how out-of-form the lad is, oor' Danny will find a way to shoe-horn him into the right side of his team. Despite him being shit there....as his crossing demonstrated yesterday. If this is down to his loan deal demanding that he always plays, then here's my view on that - get him to fcuk back to Newcastle and end this 'relationship' we have with them. We are teetering on the brink of a dodgy playoff scenario. The future of the club takes preference to a youngster's loan deal, eh? He's out of form - drop him FFS! Gilmour, Caldwell and Lennon need to wean themselves off the loanee teat anyway.

Edited by pozbaird

Kello

Naismith* Goodwin McGregor

Djemba Djemba McGinn

Teale McLean Campbell

Magennis Thompson

Subs: Dillo, McGowan, Wylde, Newton, Kelly, McAusland, Reilly

* happy for Newton to start a few games in place of Naismith to give Naismith a rest.

We don't have a lot of defenders but do have plenty of midfielders and I think we have a reasonable amount of attacking options after the January window. I'd switch to 3 at the back, and 5 in midfield with McGinn and Djemba Djemba providing some dig and cover for the back 3. Teale and Campbell to provide pace and width on the wings and to get some decent service to the front 2 and Mclean playing through the middle. Would partner Magennis and Thompson up front. Two wide players feeding our two target men with a bit of height and dig up front should hopefully see us start to register more shots on target. I think we would have a strong bench (no room for DVZ or Bahokken) which gives us plenty of options for changing to different formations, or bringing the likes of McGowan and Wylde and Newton on if things aren't working out in midfield, Cheesy and Kelly as defensive options. We'd also have the option of moving Campbell from midfield to up front if we were chasing a game.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Kello

DVZ

McGregor

Goodwin

Kelly (only because we've nobody else to play there)

Teale

McGinn

Newton

McLean

McGennis

Thompson

4-4-2

Subs

McGowan

Djemba Djemba

Campbell

Naismith

Wylde

Dilo

Any kid you like

I think if we play Newton centrally well see more of the player we remember. Just have him in front of the back four and allow the other three to get forward.

It's got to work better than this 4-5-1 shit we're being subjected to?

I'd go for a 4-2-3-1 and look for McLean and Campbell to be pushing forward in support of Thommo.

Kello,

Naismith, Goodwin, McGregor, Kelly

Djemba-Djemba, McGinn

Teale, Mclean, Campbell

Thommo

Subs: McGowan (needs benched), Wylde, Magennis, Newton, McCausland

Not a bad squad of players tbh and report card wise it would be a " capable of better"

Great Thread ! 1eye.gif

We dinnae need a Manager or Assistants.

Let the B&W Army Experts pick the Team and do the formation and coaching from the sidelines.

Use the Main Stand as the new Dugoot to house them aw.

The players can check on here Saturday morning to see if they need to bring their jessie boots in the afternoon for the Match.

FUXSAKE !!!

If everyone was fully fit and on form

--------------------------Kello--------------------------

---Naismith-----Goodwin---McGregor--Kelly--------

---------------Newton-------McLean----------------------

-------Teale---------McGowan-------McGinn----------

--------------------Thompson----------------------------

Sadly Newton,Gowser, Thompson, Teale and Naismith aren't either fit or on form. Can't comment on DJ DJ but i'd love to see him fully fit, its harsh to judge him just now.

Bar Kelly the same team which outplayed Ross County 2 games in a row back in November.

Putting Newton in at RB to get Campbell in up front with Thompson. They don't cope well with quick players resorting to bad fouls thus their racking up endless yellow and red cards. Front pairing chasing down together will hassle their back 4 into hoofing away possession. Campbell would be just the job and is one of our few with natural instinct for goals.

Kello

Newton McAusland McGregor Naismith

Goodwin

McGinn McGowan McLean

Campbell

Thompson

Subs

Dilo, Van Zanten, Kelly, Djemba Djemba, Wylde, Magennis,Teale

Teale would be likely be my first choice of replacement if needed a break through for 20-25 minutes but DD, Wylde, Magennis I just haven't seen up to speed yet.

I do think, although we've had some quiet weeks from him, McGowan can really shine in this one.

Unfortunately through suspensions, injuries and cup tied or loan situations we were without McGennis, Wylde, McGinn and McAusland for a few games. With McLean now match fit and Teale and Djemba Djemba close to match fitness we now have some team to select from. I think the next game, with all these players available, will be the real test as to whether tactically Danny can get it right, and if the players cant adapt and play together properly.

My preferences would be:

--------------------------kello---------------------------
Naismith-- McGregor-- Cheesey/goodwin-- Kelly
Teale-----McGinn--------Djemba/goodwin---Wylde
------------------------McGennis--------------------
----------------------Thommo--------------------------

A straight 4-4-2 with Kelly/Naismith allowed to overlap, or wylde/Teale to use pace etc to get down the wings. Then we have 2 big target men in the box. McGinn / Goodwin / Djemba are fighters and will battle it out in the middle to make us hard to beat and offer protection in front of the CH.