Mclean To Ipswich?

From Ronnie Mackay.....

Read in today's Scottish Sun how Kenny McLean hasn't ruled out staying at St Mirren..."Everyone is jumping the gun and assuming I'm away."

Would be fantastic for the club if he stayed, as he demonstrated on Saturday!

The cynic in me says that this may be agent driven and it may be the case that he'll get a better deal in terms of a sign-on from a new club in a years time when that club wouldn't be due to pay compensation to us as he's over 24.

The cynic in me says that this may be agent driven and it may be the case that he'll get a better deal in terms of a sign-on from a new club in a years time when that club wouldn't be due to pay compensation to us as he's over 24.

well we make sure the contract we offer him is for 3 years, simples, we either get him for 3 years or we get money for him.

I'd rather we kept him for another year and he left for nothing than get approximately £300k for him this summer.

ETA: Obviously I'd rather he signed a 3+ year deal, but I don't see that happening.

Edited by JM1

I'd rather we kept him for another year and he left for nothing than get approximately £300k for him this summer.

ETA: Obviously I'd rather he signed a 3+ year deal, but I don't see that happening.

£300k is a lot of money to a club like St Mirren. That would equate to over £5.5k a week. That could get either 2 really good players or 3-5 other players on bosmans. If you were on the board would you sanction we pay Kenny £5.5k a week for one more season? He'd probably stay for that.

£300k is a lot of money to a club like St Mirren. That would equate to over £5.5k a week. That could get either 2 really good players or 3-5 other players on bosmans. If you were on the board would you sanction we pay Kenny £5.5k a week for one more season? He'd probably stay for that.

That's ignoring the financial rewards finishing higher in the league next season could get us.

The £300k gained by losing McLean would only really fund two players & we're likely to lose quite a few players (nowhere near as good as McLean) this summer.

I'd hope that keeping McLean - a player who's getting better all of the time and should end up playing at a much higher level than St. Mirren - would manage to get us a few positions higher in the league, which would also get us more prize money.

I like Paul McGowan, but McLean's a much better player and should be in McGowan's advanced role in midfield.

If we can build the whole midfield around the more mature McLean and McGinn next season, we'll be difficult for most teams to cope with.

Edited by JM1

With McGowan out of contract this summer we should be putting his wage towards keeping McLean and McGinn at the club for a while longer.

this time last year McGowan was the golden boy and now he is surplus to requirements. I hope he can get back to being the player he was a couple of seasons ago at which time the present day golden boy McLean was getting pelters.

That's ignoring the financial rewards finishing higher in the league next season could get us.

The £300k gained by losing McLean would only really fund two players & we're likely to lose quite a few players (nowhere near as good as McLean) this summer.

I'd hope that keeping McLean - a player who's getting better all of the time and should end up playing at a much higher level than St. Mirren - would manage to get us a few positions higher in the league, which would also get us more prize money.

I like Paul McGowan, but McLean's a much better player and should be in McGowan's advanced role in midfield.

If we can build the whole midfield around the more mature McLean and McGinn next season, we'll be difficult for most teams to cope with.

how many league places do we need to gain to earn £300,000?

this time last year McGowan was the golden boy and now he is surplus to requirements. I hope he can get back to being the player he was a couple of seasons ago at which time the present day golden boy McLean was getting pelters.

Surplus to requirements? McGowan just scored a vital goal for us in the last game!