Mclean To Ipswich?

Figure of up to 400,000 euros as a development fee, given that he's been with us since he was 14.

60,000 euros for every year he's been with us since he turned 16 and 10,000 for every year before that.

According to UEFA's cross border rules.

No official approach made by Ipswich according to Brian Caldwell.

Article in PDE today.

Hmm, I'm not convinced.

I'd played against Lambert when I was kid and I didn't rate him. In his first year at St Mirren I thought he'd improved but still doubted he'd make it. But what Lambert had was a number of quality players who talked him through matches and he was willing to listen and learn. McGarvey and Fitzpatrick at St Mirren, Cooper, McCart, Krivokapic and Burley at Motherwell, and then a whole plethora of stars at Dortmund.

For me a move to Ipswich would just see McLean disappear into the same kind of mire that Simon Lappin, Stephen McGinn and Andy Dorman disappeared into with their moves to the Championship. There is also an even bigger danger in signing a pre contract agreement there in the fact that Ipswich are actually still in the promotion chase. If they do go up McLean would very quickly be sidelined. I also don't think he's in the same mould the likes of James McCarthy who did so well at Wigan and now at Everton. Time will tell of course but I think there would be much better Championship sides that McLean's agent should be pushing to get him into.

Not really good comparisons. Lappin was nowhere near the player Mclean is (IMO), Mcginns progress has been hampered by teriible injuries & Andy Dorman was in his late 20s when he moved .

Mclean is a bit of an enigma for me. The guy undoubtedly has some great talent but I also thought there were many parts of his game that were very poor. For me he had more ineffective games than effective games which was a source of great frustration knowing that there is a talent in there.

However against Kilmarnock I finally saw it all come together and he played for me the best 90 mins he ever done in a St Mirren shirt and his all round talent showed through. MOM by a mile. If he keep that up he can get to the very top otherwise he will disappear into obscurity like Any Dorman. Maybe he has turned a corner and if so he will be a massive asset over the rest of the season. Appartently he was superb in the U21 game so maybe it has all clicked and he now has responsibility, appetite and workrate to match his ability.

Kenny is still young. If he keeps up his very recent form another year for us he will have a huge queue of top clubs after him. At this stage of his career he needs to play every week and not be part of a large Championship pool. For his sake and ours I would like him to stay but I am sure Ipswich will be offering substantially more than us even if he only ever played for their reserve team.

He shoyld have been offered a deal this time last year. As a club we should be benefitting greatly from selling talents like this on. We always seem to contracts run right down

He signed a new contract a couple of years.

Every transfer window since then he got injured and couldn't sell him.

Only time he picked up an injury was in a window.

This time not the club's fault

Figure of up to 400,000 euros as a development fee, given that he's been with us since he was 14.

60,000 euros for every year he's been with us since he turned 16 and 10,000 for every year before that.

According to UEFA's cross border rules.

No official approach made by Ipswich according to Brian Caldwell.

Article in PDE today.

Think it's 60k less mate, only compensation until he's 21?

don't think it applies when crossing the border. Sad times, we never get money for the players we develope.

It does apply. We'll be due compensation as FTOF said, even for cross border transfers. Edited by davidg

Moving off topic (slightly) I see Hamilton have just sold a 13-y-o keeper to Celtic (see below) - Hearts recently sold a youth player down south for £100k IIRC (a forward who had made 1 start and had yet to score blink.png ), and Killie sold an 18-y-o youth player to Everton at the start of the season. Ross County also made money from Gary McKay-Steven who was sold to Liverpool before making a first team appearance.

Are we doing enough in terms of putting our youth players in the shop-window or should we be happy to see 4/5 past & present youth players currently in our first team?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26480459

Edited by Bud the Baker

I imagine Kenny will leave. Asked him about signing a new deal recently when I seen him at Tynecastle and he was very reticent.

Don't blame him to be honest, if Ipswich do offer him a deal it would be on a lot more than anything we could offer him. I would go too if I were him.

The good news is that we will be due quite a bit of compensation because he's been here for a long time.

Any time Kenny goes on a fine run of form and has been linked with a move away he either unfortunately picks up an injury or his form dips. That's the last two January transfer windows he has been out injured when a move looked on the cards. I feel he will go far in the game. He has the right attitude and if played to his strengths, would be a great asset to any team he moves to.

Edited by kevo_smfc

I say good luck to Kenny the boy has big potential in my book. Only thing that bothers me is we are a terrible club for letting our youngsters go away for hee haw. If only we could tie them down in longer deals and add to their contract that if an acceptable offer comes in they would be aloud to leave to progress their careers. Surly it can't be hard to do with a youngster.

I say good luck to Kenny the boy has big potential in my book. Only thing that bothers me is we are a terrible club for letting our youngsters go away for hee haw. If only we could tie them down in longer deals and add to their contract that if an acceptable offer comes in they would be aloud to leave to progress their careers. Surly it can't be hard to do with a youngster.

It's all down to agents and agents are all about money and I mean their own as much as their client. Agents are too savvy to go along with contracts of more than a year or two unless we're talking really big money and St.Mirren are unlikely ever to be in a position to offer that. If we get the kind of money some of the lads are suggesting for nurturing Kenny and part with him on good terms, maybe he'll come back to us later in his career and serve us as well as Steven Thompson has.

I'd played against Lambert when I was kid and I didn't rate him.

lol.gif:

That just about sums you up!

I played in the same team as Paul Lambert and everyone could see he was destined for stardom.

Only someone who doesn't have a clue wouldn't have rated Paul Lambert.

I guess that leads us back to your post. tongue.png

Edited by Isabella Duke

lol.gif:

That just about sums you up!

I played in the same team as Paul Lambert and everyone could see he was destined for stardom.

Only someone who doesn't have a clue wouldn't have rated Paul Lambert.

I guess that leads us back to your post. tongue.png

I'd assumed Stu was referring to a game of naughts and crosses (ie: something you don't have to get out of your seat for).

Flashes of occasional class and i mean occasional.I too believe that he will be playing in the premiership in a couple of years,the blue square one.I would say Judas/Traitor etc but ,to be honest,not in the least bit bothered or interested in Kenny Mc Lean,only bonus is the club who have stood by him every step of his professional career may recoup a tiny part of the money laid out on him.Pack your bags and f**k off